CDZ Fanaticism is a Disease, like Alcoholism

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Mac1958, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,803
    Well, it turns out that I may be right, at least to this writer from Psychology Today.

It's been my opinion that commitment to a hardcore partisan ideology is essentially an affliction, a disease, that can infect even perfectly intelligent people.

Jeremy Sherman, Ph.D., compares fanaticism and alcoholism, and offers a similar 12-step program for those who are afflicted: Fanaticism Is a Disease Like Alcoholism

Fanaticism is a drug. Let loose on society it's like crack cocaine or alcohol only worse. Fanatics drive through life like alcoholics driving under the influence. They think they’re perfectly fine driving. They kill innocent bystanders, sometimes by the thousands or millions.

What's needed is an AA-style safe-haven for recovering political and religious fanatics, ideologues and absolutists. It’s message is, "Yes, you’re a wreck and have done real damage. But don't beat yourself up over it. Like so many of us, you became host to a powerful parasite that mutates quickly and has taken over minds throughout human history. Don't blame yourself. You are not alone. Join us. Together we can lick this thing."

Here’s a rough draft for the 12 Steps of Fanatics Anonymous

1. We admitted we were powerless over fanaticism—that our lives had become unmanageable.
    2. Came to believe that Reason, a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
    3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Reason.
    4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
    5. Admitted to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
    6. Were entirely ready to have Reason remove all these defects of character.
    7. Humbly invoked reason to remove our shortcomings.
    8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
    9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
    10. Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
    11. Sought through inquiry, debate, conversation, curiosity and doubt to improve our conscious contact with Reason seeking for better understanding of the human tension between what we want to believe and what’s most likely to be true.
    12. Having had an awakening to Reason as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to fanatics of all kinds, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  2. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,786
    Interesting idea

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Freewill

Freewill Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,334
    As a representative of the white race I would wish to apologize for this infliction that only infects white people.

4. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,786

AFFLICTION -----freebie whitey

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  5. task0778

task0778 Silver Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,687
    The first step towards fixing an addiction is to admit that you have a problem. I don't think most fanatics have reached that point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,803
    Yeah, that's another pretty clear similarity between fanatics and alcoholics. Each has a quick & ready answer to deny and explain away their affliction.

7. BasicHumanUnit

BasicHumanUnit Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Fanaticism driven by desperation brought on by reality? Maybe?

You have to be careful using labels broadly. Dictators often call any opposition "fanatical". ie Kim Jong Un, Nicolas Madura etc would call the opposition fanatical. They use such "labels" to keep an iron grip on control.

I almost question the use of the word "fanaticism" applied to current US politics as there is indeed a plethora of serious problems with our society....on both sides.
    Can you call someone a fanatic because they believe strongly in the US Constitution?
    Can you call someone else a fanatic because they just as strongly believe a particular race oppresses them?

In some respects, could the founding fathers not be grouped into a "fanatics" category if we're not careful and throw too wide a blanket?

I agree there are large groups of fanatics of political persuasion. But again, we have to be cautious not to confuse fanaticism with a passion for needed societal change.

Alcoholism is more of a personal escape mechanism. Political passion can differ in that the effects sought are more of a society wide endeavor.

two cents

8. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,803
    Sure, any discussion like this is better served with definitions.

My personal definition of a fanatic (or hardcore partisan ideologue) would look like this: A person who has allowed their perceptions, thought processes and actions to become distorted by an ideology.

So, examples would include people who:

... can only see reasonable arguments on their "side", and avoid admitting that reasonable arguments exist on the other "side", too
    ... demonstrate intolerance for opposing views, automatically rejecting opinions, facts and data that do not support their agenda
    ... regularly spin and deflect away from events and information that do not support their agenda
    ... regularly use distortion, deflection, straw man arguments, denial and diversion, making normal communication virtually impossible

I guess we all have our definitions, that would be mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Freewill

Freewill Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,334
    poor spelling is a affliction in my part of the country, we have our own language.

Sorry I will try to do better.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,786
    it's ok, bubie------you are from TEXAS,,,,perhaps

11. impuretrash

impuretrash Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,884
    "Everyone who doesn't adhere to my cucked version of politics is a fanatical partisan"