Good guys wear white hats
Aug 23, 2011
Bham, AL
get drunk, get loud - piss off the neighbors

neighbors call cops, show them your big gun

seems like a bad plan...

Family of man shot dead by sheriff's deputy awarded $4 damages

quote:
A jury ruled that no excessive force was used and Mr Hill was responsible for his own death because he was drunk.

A judge asked the jury to decide if Mr Hill's constitutional rights had been violated and, if so, whether his family should receive compensation.

After hours of deliberation, the jury awarded $1 to his mother for funeral costs and $1 to each of his three children.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
"I think they were trying to insult the case," the family's lawyer, John Phillips, added. "Why go there with the $1? That was the hurtful part."

The jury found that Christopher Newman, the sheriff's deputy who shot Mr Hill three times, had not used excessive force.

It also ruled that Mr Hill was 99% responsible for his own death, meaning the sheriff's department is only required to pay 1% of the damages. This would leave the family with four cents.

`
No ghetto lottery I guess.
`
I am not familiar with this area, but my guess is that we are talking about a community where everyone knows each other. Sounds like the people on the jury may know who the cop in question is and that this cop has a good reputation and is well liked

So when the family said, "He never threatened the cops with that gun" - the jurors got offended and came back with "we don't believe you"

seems like a bad plan...

quote:
A jury ruled that no excessive force was used and Mr Hill was responsible for his own death because he was drunk.

A judge asked the jury to decide if Mr Hill's constitutional rights had been violated and, if so, whether his family should receive compensation.

After hours of deliberation, the jury awarded $1 to his mother for funeral costs and $1 to each of his three children.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
"I think they were trying to insult the case," the family's lawyer, John Phillips, added. "Why go there with the $1? That was the hurtful part."

The jury found that Christopher Newman, the sheriff's deputy who shot Mr Hill three times, had not used excessive force.

It also ruled that Mr Hill was 99% responsible for his own death, meaning the sheriff's department is only required to pay 1% of the damages. This would leave the family with four cents.
I hope the city appeals. You're racist btw.

You're racist btw.
where the hell are you getting that notion?

everything is not about race - this story is about a judgement that was sent as a message

we frequently see ridiculous monetary awards ; nice to see a story go the other way for once

seems like a bad plan...

quote:

quote:

Attorney is going to get $1.33 of that 4 bucks.

Out of respect for the guy's family considering the fact that they are the ones who are left here to deal with his being gone, I wouldn't have given them any money had it been my decision. Just giving them pocket change, to me, is like only adding insult to injury, especially if they had nothing to do with what happened in the first place.

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

Out of respect for the guy's family considering the fact that they are the ones who are left here to deal with his being gone, I wouldn't have given them any money had it been my decision. Just giving them pocket change, to me, is like only adding insult to injury, especially if they had nothing to do with what happened in the first place.

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly
This thugs behavior should be an insult to his family, far more so than the $4 they were awarded. It would be in mine.

^^^ Exactly. His choice of action is already bad enough, but only giving the family four dollars is like adding frosting to a cake that they didn't want baked to begin with.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

seems like a bad plan...

quote:

quote:

I never met a LEO who was honest and dedicated who shot, or shot and kill a person, proud, boastful, or happy about ending a life. It is a split second action that lives with you for the rest of your life and nothing you do will make it go away. You think about all of the things that you could have done that might have changed the incident, but most of the time they are far fetched. The basic fact is you live with it, and it changes you.

seems like a bad plan...

quote:

quote:

I hope the city appeals. You're racist btw.
I bet the Attny was the one who brought the lawsuit and he was going to make money from it. The family was in it for the money. So shove you Race Bait crap to your self.

seems like a bad plan...

quote:

quote:

The jury ought to have taken the four cents and awarded them to the officers to help compensate them for the cost of the bullets.

Forum List

Back