Falmouth Mass may dismantle wind turbines due to illnesses

I'm confused, I don't know why this is causing health problems or if it is causing health problems. I live in the flight path of Sea Tac International Airport. Can I blame my headaches on them and get them to stop the planes?

Probably not because
1) Sea-Tac was there before you were.
2) They are already COMPLYING with applicable regulations and monitoring.

Go to Sea-Tac and visit the "Noise Abatement Office".. Sometimes it's right in a Terminal with recordings of the all the arrival and departure noise levels..

So --- when are these wind farm operators gonna do the same?
And when are they gonna stop lying in order to get approvals for sitings?

The airport was there but the 3rd runway wasn't AND they've changed the routes so that most of the planes fly right over my house, where they used to have to fly around north and come in so that the noise was spread out, but those in the north have more money than those of us in the south so now they all go right over my house. In the summer, you can't carry on a conversation in the back yard that lasts more than 5 minutes without getting interrupted. That was never like that back in the late 60's and early 70's when I was growing up down the block.

You have my support and sympathy.. But don't expect any from RGR.. He's off the charts in lack of compassion or patience for folks with enviro nuisances.

If RGR thinks that the problem was these folks DIDN'T attend meetings, he needs to REWATCH the actual statements of THESE FOLKS who were LIED TO at those meetings.

"I was reassured by George Baker, head of Fox Island Wind, the sounds of the turbines at 1000 feet away... would be like a quiet conversation in a living room"

You appear to be taking NIMBYs at their word. Once upon a time, I did as well. Then when the things they claimed were contradicting the physical laws of the universe and whatnot, well, who do you believe then? NIMBYs, or Sir Isaac Newton and Co.?

flacaltenn said:
Their problem was the media and the green eco-frauds had sold them on the concept that wind is cute and cuddly and effiecient and that they would be saving the planet.

So have them take up their beef with the eco-frauds or the locals who they claim misled them (also without going to Kansas or Texas to hear for themselves), but don't EVER expect them to have investigated for themselves...oh no...we can't have ANY personal responsibility in America nowadays, can we? We need someone to blame for not doing our due diligence, preferably someone with deep pockets.

Who's contradicting the laws of Newton??

As far as not believing folks --- you should read that quote in my footer again.. It serves me well on public forums where you run into a lot of folks who don't believe a word you say. Even when you quote the manufacturers' spec sheet.

Your basis for objection to the OP is anecdotal and therefore worthless.

The disease that these folks are coming up with is anecdotal, certainly what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

daveman said:
If you had any integrity, you'd go to the town in question and live there.

Hogwash. Integrity involves NIMBYs coming up with real reasons for trying to stop development BEFORE said development took place, and yet they refused to do so. A simple trip to Kansas would have shown them what was going to start happening, but they couldn't be bothered to LEARN. Caveat Emptor. I recommend paying more attention prior to deciding that diseases need to be manufactured to correct for stupidity.

daveman said:
But your childish jumping and and down and screeching "It's not happening!!" is less than compelling.

Learn how to read. I said no such thing.
Let me see if I can possibly distort my thinking enough to understand you.

You're saying the people in Falmouth should have visited Kansas to see what was going to happen to them (which you claim isn't) so they could have made an informed decision about siting the wind farm in town.

You say it's happening in Kansas, but not in Falmouth.

Please explain this, if you can.

You don't get to dictate how other people live their lives.

Again, true. But people don't get to BITCH about how they live their lives when confronted by the COSTS of how they live their lives.

yes, they do. and they can also discard what impairs their lives no matter how much you would like to impose that on them

So you assume their illness is imaginary because is hasn't affected you.

Incorrect. I only note that they claim an illness which does not exist.

So, your anaphylaxis IS imagined. OK.

They have an illness you haven't experienced, so you are assuming they are faking it.
These people have been living (most of them) in the same houses for years. Suddenly after the turbines were installed, they have medical complaints that you haven't experienced in your admittedly scant experience consisting of a brief visit to a different site.

Really! You should give up now and try to salvage some shred of dignity.

They have an illness you haven't experienced, so you are assuming they are faking it.
These people have been living (most of them) in the same houses for years. Suddenly after the turbines were installed, they have medical complaints that you haven't experienced in your admittedly scant experience consisting of a brief visit to a different site.

tumblr_m9my2noGyX1reu1vyo1_500.gif

I don't know if they are faking it our not, but I do know that there is something known as psychosomatic illness. I would think they'd make sure before spending millions getting rid of the wind turbines.

I'm confused, I don't know why this is causing health problems or if it is causing health problems. I live in the flight path of Sea Tac International Airport. Can I blame my headaches on them and get them to stop the planes?

Of course you can. We will call it...AirplaneNoiseNIMBY-itis Syndrome. You will need a Youtube video showing some plane flying over and the attendant noise (don't do this from inside the house where you don't actually hear any noise, go outside, get a directional mike if necessary, and point it at the plane) and hopefully you will have a sympathetic neighbor who can build a website to complain about this noise and attendant disease, or better yet a doctor or will invent a cooler sounding name than AirplaneNoiseNIMBY-itis Syndrome.

You then need to detail the horrifying consequences of this disease day by day on a blog somewhere, factual evidence is no longer required, just really cool stories about how AirplaneNoise-Itis Syndrome has changed your life. Presto!!

There has to be a book on how to do this somewhere, when people do this it can't be coincidental that they follow the same basic script.

The airport was there but the 3rd runway wasn't AND they've changed the routes so that most of the planes fly right over my house, where they used to have to fly around north and come in so that the noise was spread out, but those in the north have more money than those of us in the south so now they all go right over my house. In the summer, you can't carry on a conversation in the back yard that lasts more than 5 minutes without getting interrupted. That was never like that back in the late 60's and early 70's when I was growing up down the block.

You need the cool disease name. It lends so much more credibility to the story.

The anti-fracking types. They have this weird notion that a perfectly stationary and stable water molecule will suddenly spring into action with no force applied, migrate a mile this way, a mile that way, contaminate itself with whatever it finds along its path, burrow 2 miles out of the ground and through this immaculate conception arrive at their spigot.

Weird.

If by that you mean gain enough experience to get processes and procedures past an Academy of Science review, I doubt you have the time, took me 15 years to learn how to pull that one off.

daveman said:
You're saying the people in Falmouth should have visited Kansas to see what was going to happen to them (which you claim isn't) so they could have made an informed decision about siting the wind farm in town.

Close. The idea is that they should have done their due diligence. If that means going to Kansas because they are the only operative wind mills in the country, then maybe that is what they could have done. They could have read the information provided by Falcaltenn, they could have checked out those Youtube videos proclaiming there was an issue, there are MANY ways to complete some due diligence prior to deciding to advocate one way or another for local electrical generation. Kansas is just my example if I had no other alternatives, a simple google search reveals the Kansas and Roscoe Texas wind farms, which are closer to liberal land than the ones that have been spinning in the Mohave for at least a decade (first saw them back in 2001 I believe).

Due diligence....they should have done more than talk to some other local windignoramous.

daveman said:

I didn't say it is not happening in Falmouth, I said it certainly wasn't apparent listening to Kansas wind turbines that they were creating enough noise to be very noticeable, while standing right beside them.

Falcaltenn informed me that sound moves around, and the harmonics from multiples of these things might behave differently, and so I have devised a different "listening" routine next time to see if these "noisy" spots can be found.

It is completely possible that every wind turbine in Massachusetts is like having an F16 on afterburner planted in someones back yard...possible....but unlikely. It is also possible that type of turbine is much louder than the ones in Kansas. More possible. Less unlikely.

Having extensive NIMBY experience, based on the evidence presented so far, IMHO this all sounds like a standard script. In the end, to solve the problem, I might have to go all the way to Massachusetts to wile away an afternoon appreciating these fine electrical generating devices to see for myself.

Haven't been there in awhile, might be worth a trip this coming spring or summer.

When did you get your medical degree -- before or after you drove through a Kansas wind farm?

google is your friend.

Selected goodies for those who think this isn't NIMBYism.

reference said:
In 2011, a doctor at Harvard Medical School diagnosed Hobart with wind turbine syndrome, which is not recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The name was coined by Nina Pierpont, a John Hopkins University-trained pediatrician, whose husband is an anti-wind activist, criticizing the economics and physics of wind power. Pierpont, who lives in upstate New York, calls wind turbine syndrome the green energy industry's "dirty little secret." She self-published "Wind Turbine Syndrome" in 2009, including case studies of people who lived within 1.25 miles of these "spinning giants" who reportedly got sick.

But her wind-turbine research has been criticized for improper peer review (Pierpont reportedly chose her reviewers), and for its methodology -- small sample size, no control group and the fact that she did not examine her subjects or their medical records but interviewed them by phone.

Neither Pierpont nor her husband, Calvin Luther Martin, responded to ABCNews.com's request for comment.

Always follow the money...NIMBYs usually demand it.

reference said:
Hobart and her husband, Edward, filed a nuisance claim last Feb. 5 in Barnstable Superior Court against Notus Clean Energy and its owner, Dan Webb. According to the Hobarts' lawyer, Democratic State Rep. Brian Mannal, they are seeking between $150,000 and $300,000 in damages for loss of value of their home, and for medical bills.

They filed an earlier nuisance complaint against the town in July 2012, but the judge granted the defendants' motion to dismiss on Dec. 3, 2012.

'Wind Turbine Syndrome' Blamed for Mysterious Symptoms in Cape Cod Town - ABC News

Of course you can. We will call it...AirplaneNoiseNIMBY-itis Syndrome. You will need a Youtube video showing some plane flying over and the attendant noise (don't do this from inside the house where you don't actually hear any noise, go outside, get a directional mike if necessary, and point it at the plane) and hopefully you will have a sympathetic neighbor who can build a website to complain about this noise and attendant disease, or better yet a doctor or will invent a cooler sounding name than AirplaneNoiseNIMBY-itis Syndrome.

You then need to detail the horrifying consequences of this disease day by day on a blog somewhere, factual evidence is no longer required, just really cool stories about how AirplaneNoise-Itis Syndrome has changed your life. Presto!!

There has to be a book on how to do this somewhere, when people do this it can't be coincidental that they follow the same basic script.

Actually we do hear the noise even inside the house with the windows closed, and those planes don't stop, day or night.

The anti-fracking types. They have this weird notion that a perfectly stationary and stable water molecule will suddenly spring into action with no force applied, migrate a mile this way, a mile that way, contaminate itself with whatever it finds along its path, burrow 2 miles out of the ground and through this immaculate conception arrive at their spigot.

Weird.

I can understand that.. These are the same folks blindly LUSTING for the wind mills we are discussing. They don't bother themselves with spec sheets, or daily production charts, or the costs of building a REAL primary generator alongside their wind toy.

They are --- essentially useful tools for Big Green Energy. Their brethren in the UK LEARNED their lesson when they had a hissy fit to build "biomass conversion" and discovered that they just voted themselves into having garbage incinerators in THEIR backyards. They are now very very sad tools..

Much like these communities that THOUGHT they understood wind energy and now have discovered the plight of being tools..

The anti-fracking types.

Weird.

I can understand that.. These are the same folks blindly LUSTING for the wind mills we are discussing. They don't bother themselves with spec sheets, or daily production charts, or the costs of building a REAL primary generator alongside their wind toy.

Too many zealots, ideologues, faith based believers in the world today.

flacaltenn said:
Much like these communities that THOUGHT they understood wind energy and now have discovered the plight of being tools..

Maybe they'll learn? Maybe they won't. I am agnostic about my electricity, to be honest.

If by that you mean gain enough experience to get processes and procedures past an Academy of Science review, I doubt you have the time, took me 15 years to learn how to pull that one off.

daveman said:

Close. The idea is that they should have done their due diligence. If that means going to Kansas because they are the only operative wind mills in the country, then maybe that is what they could have done. They could have read the information provided by Falcaltenn, they could have checked out those Youtube videos proclaiming there was an issue, there are MANY ways to complete some due diligence prior to deciding to advocate one way or another for local electrical generation. Kansas is just my example if I had no other alternatives, a simple google search reveals the Kansas and Roscoe Texas wind farms, which are closer to liberal land than the ones that have been spinning in the Mohave for at least a decade (first saw them back in 2001 I believe).

Due diligence....they should have done more than talk to some other local windignoramous.

daveman said:

I didn't say it is not happening in Falmouth, I said it certainly wasn't apparent listening to Kansas wind turbines that they were creating enough noise to be very noticeable, while standing right beside them.

Falcaltenn informed me that sound moves around, and the harmonics from multiples of these things might behave differently, and so I have devised a different "listening" routine next time to see if these "noisy" spots can be found.

It is completely possible that every wind turbine in Massachusetts is like having an F16 on afterburner planted in someones back yard...possible....but unlikely. It is also possible that type of turbine is much louder than the ones in Kansas. More possible. Less unlikely.

Having extensive NIMBY experience, based on the evidence presented so far, IMHO this all sounds like a standard script. In the end, to solve the problem, I might have to go all the way to Massachusetts to wile away an afternoon appreciating these fine electrical generating devices to see for myself.

Haven't been there in awhile, might be worth a trip this coming spring or summer.
I'm curious...do arrogant asses naturally gravitate to progressivism, or does progressivism lead to arrogant assery?

Falmouth's turbines suck, and the locals don't want them anymore. Your petulant foot-stamping does not change that fact.

Grow up, kid.

When did you get your medical degree -- before or after you drove through a Kansas wind farm?

google is your friend.
Odd...I searched for "When did rgr get his medical degree" and didn't get a date.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Whe...e=UTF-8#q=When+did+rgr+get+his+medical+degree

Because, you know, that was the question I asked.
Selected goodies for those who think this isn't NIMBYism.

reference said:
In 2011, a doctor at Harvard Medical School diagnosed Hobart with wind turbine syndrome, which is not recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The name was coined by Nina Pierpont, a John Hopkins University-trained pediatrician, whose husband is an anti-wind activist, criticizing the economics and physics of wind power. Pierpont, who lives in upstate New York, calls wind turbine syndrome the green energy industry's "dirty little secret." She self-published "Wind Turbine Syndrome" in 2009, including case studies of people who lived within 1.25 miles of these "spinning giants" who reportedly got sick.

But her wind-turbine research has been criticized for improper peer review (Pierpont reportedly chose her reviewers), and for its methodology -- small sample size, no control group and the fact that she did not examine her subjects or their medical records but interviewed them by phone.

Neither Pierpont nor her husband, Calvin Luther Martin, responded to ABCNews.com's request for comment.

Always follow the money...NIMBYs usually demand it.

reference said:
Hobart and her husband, Edward, filed a nuisance claim last Feb. 5 in Barnstable Superior Court against Notus Clean Energy and its owner, Dan Webb. According to the Hobarts' lawyer, Democratic State Rep. Brian Mannal, they are seeking between $150,000 and $300,000 in damages for loss of value of their home, and for medical bills.

They filed an earlier nuisance complaint against the town in July 2012, but the judge granted the defendants' motion to dismiss on Dec. 3, 2012.

'Wind Turbine Syndrome' Blamed for Mysterious Symptoms in Cape Cod Town - ABC News
It would be funny if someone built a coal-fired power plant in your neighborhood. Your whining would be epic. :lmao:

I'm curious...do arrogant asses naturally gravitate to progressivism, or does progressivism lead to arrogant assery?

Dunno. Go ask one.

Daveman said:
Falmouth's turbines suck, and the locals don't want them anymore. Your petulant foot-stamping does not change that fact.

Grow up, kid.

Falmouth's turbines are doing exactly what they are designed to do, in exactly the way they were designed to do it, and were presented to the people in advance of their construction, should they desire to change, debate or stop those plans.

They didn't.

NIMBYs bitching like deflowered cheerleaders after a raucous prom night does not change these facts. Your enabling of those who wish to duck personal responsibility at every opportunity marks you quite a bit better than your estimate of my age.

It would be funny if someone built a coal-fired power plant in your neighborhood. Your whining would be epic. :lmao:

My whining would not exist. I would move if it bothered me. It is what normal folks do. We don't invent diseases that don't exist, we don't start internet whining and bitching campaigns pretending to be a victim (interestingly, of their own ignorance in this case) or do youtube videos demanding others lacking in character to join in, creating some sort of excuse reinforcement group.

We complete our due diligence, we think critically about what we want, and what we don't want, we pay attention, and when the time comes, we act.

You support and hang out with the whiners and moaners and criers if you want, but certainly you are in no position to demand that those of us not so morally crippled should do the same.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back