Falmouth Mass may dismantle wind turbines due to illnesses

I think it is only fair that the people complaining be offered the alternative world without electricity, anything derived from natural gas or crude oil, nukes, or any of the other mechanisms that humankind has used to make a better life for themselves.

Those who choose this alternative should be moved at taxpayer expense to a place where they can live just this way, in peace and silence and harmony. Heck, we could even designate Amish country in Pennsylvania for these folks, and they could run off and be happy.

But I'm guessing these folks drive cars, use electricity, pharmaceuticals, plastic, fly upon occasion....yup....they only bitch when someone dares to put the cost of their lifestyle directly in front of them, only THEN do they bitch.
We get about half our electricity from fossil fuels.

Go to your house's electrical service panel and switch off every other breaker.

You can turn them back on when "green" sources have the capability to directly replace fossil fuels.

It's only fair, right? Or are you going to bitch when someone dares put the cost of the lifestyle you want to dictate on everyone directly in front of you?

why stop there

they also do not like hydro electric nor nuclear power

taking that into account they should flip the breakers

on all but one breaker

with that breaker being the lowest amperage

I'd suggest they wire their treadmills and stairclimbers directly into their home energy grid. How efficient and "green" is that? Not to mention, healthy. Want to microwave a bag of popcorn, hop on the treadmill and get to work.

Question:

How do you hear a turbine and feel the effects it produces BEFORE it's built?

The same way I did. Admittedly, I am a naturally curious guy, but when taking personal responsibility for my energy use sometimes it requires tremendous effort! In the case of the windmills,I got off the interstate, drove up to the base of one of these monsters, and just sat there and was amazed by it. These are about 400 miles away from my house, so you can't say I didn't give it a good college try! The dumbasses who are now complaining could have sure done the same.

Smoky Hills Wind Farm - I-70 in Kansas

Daveman said:
And others are 100% dependent on fossil fuels.

Like I said, personal responsibility, a lost art in America. One which we should get back to, but those who can't be bothered with due diligence don't get to BITCH about how the demand they are creating is supplied.

My agenda is that of personal responsibility. They want to sit in the cold and dark? Certainly I don't care if that is what they want to do. Conversely, I also don't object to them sitting in the light and heat...I only object to them bitching about what the world does to give them what they want as though they bear no personal responsibility.

Daveman said:
And if the well and refinery were putting out toxic fumes that sickened you, would you bitch like a school girl?

Hint: Yes. Yes, you would.

Fortunately windmills don't give off toxic fumes so that certainly can't be the bitch from the NIMBYs now can it? As far as living near a REAL refinery versus the kind I have creating fuel for my car, the solution is obvious. Don't live near the refinery if you don't want to be bothered by it. The NIMBYs can do the same with windmills, but they don't have to obviously because they aren't putting off toxic fumes.

Daveman said:
You don't get to decide that the problems other people have are less important than you feeling smug about saving the planet.

I get to decide that people who want the benefit without the cost are clueless about where their lifestyle comes from and don't get to BITCH about it after they find out. But what they CAN do is not be hypocrites, but what are the odds that happening? Easy solution, doubt they ever even consider more than bitching. Hyperpocrites are like that.

amish-farm-cart.jpg

The question I'll ask is, did the NIMBYs move in before or after the windmills were installed? If before, were they afforded access to public input whether such windmills should be installed in their vicinity? If after, tough shit. The windmills were there, if they don't like them, move on.

So you're OK with making people sick if it suits your agenda?
But killing babies is "choice"?

People aren't getting sick because of nearby windmills. They are CLAIMING they are getting sick because of the windmills. Quite a difference.

And also quite common among the NIMBY set, the first line of defense in the modern world to something you disagree with is to find some basis to file a lawsuit. Sickness is a good one, psychological damage from noise (ever been within 1/4 mile of a wind turbine? I have...not sure I could even hear the blades moving to be honest, maybe a sort of hum? Low frequency kind of thing?), just take whatever the high voltage power line folks have been pretending ails them all these years and say the same things.

Problem solved.

Nope.. Well documented that the noise levels from megaWatt wind turbines exceed MANY suggested levels.. At nominal speeds, it's equivalent to a turboprop commuter plane..

EXCEPT --- it doesn't go away in a minute or an hour.. Widely accepted that wildlife within a couple mile radius WILL BE AFFECTED..

So the fledgling wind industry makes the same mistakes in siting these useless gimmicks that the nuclear industry did back in the 50s and 60s.. Seems like anything deemed clean and green gets NO scrutiny or impact analysis..

SITING IS AN ISSUE ---- and any current installations that violate OSHA or other recommendation levels should be removed..

Considering installing a wind generator at my place. One of the big considerations is the noise generated by the turbine. It is suggested that you consider the line drop potential that will occur if you site your windmill at a distance that will minimize the noise impact from the "user" facility you plan to power with the wind generator. And, yes, there is a suggestion that the noise generated can disturb livestock, etc.

Then you oppose the EPA's new regulations on coal.

Hey, people getting sick is just one of the costs to the benefit lifestyle we enjoy, right?
Ummm...where'd he go? :confused:

He's driving back that 400 miles to camp out under stars beneath those lovely turbines..
Hope he doesn't get sprinkled with bat bodies or raptor guts.. ... and that he gets a good night's sleep...

He probably doesn't hunt, either, so a sprinkling of bat bodies and raptor guts will be a welcome infusion of protein to his diet.

The junk technology doesn't produce enough energy to be meaningful to anybody but the radical left and when you factor in the cost of maintenance and fossil fuel energy to keep the monsters running it is not cost effective. If you include the credible evidence of health issues from living near a gigantic low frequency generator and the injury to migratory wildlife it's a freaking failure.

Actually, it works fairly well for individual installations if used as a backup and augmentation for solar. Mind, I have a small place with small requirements. I still burn a lot of wood and propane, though.

The junk technology doesn't produce enough energy to be meaningful to anybody but the radical left and when you factor in the cost of maintenance and fossil fuel energy to keep the monsters running it is not cost effective. If you include the credible evidence of health issues from living near a gigantic low frequency generator and the injury to migratory wildlife it's a freaking failure.

Actually, it works fairly well for individual installations if used as a backup and augmentation for solar. Mind, I have a small place with small requirements. I still burn a lot of wood and propane, though.

Sounds complicated man. Annd thats coming from an electrical engineer. Assuming ur grid tied, balancing and managing the generation from wind and solar aint your problem. But if you were off grid with battery storage, youd be spending your days in the control bunker making sure you didnt blow out the system on awindy sunny day and had a constant guaranteed margin for the buildings.

Those people being made ill and driven out of their homes aren't getting the best of both worlds. Our internet connection is not more valuable than their quality of life. People don't abandon their homes after 20 years on a whim.

The disease they are claiming does not exist. And you haven't eliminated all the OTHER diseases they could be suffering from, including the psychological ones, a necessary requirement prior to creating an entirely new one no one has ever suffered from before.

As far as abandoning their homes, people do it because they are irritated. An oil company fracks a well in your county, you become irritated and move. You get a new neighbor, he/she irritates you and you move. You realize that a slump feature in the hill beside your house might...slump...and this scares you for what might happen in the future...and you move.

You do not get to assume that the irritant for one is near the irritant for another, and you certainly don't get to create a new disease from scratch so you can go after the deep pockets to pay for the claimed consequences of your newfound irritation.

I'd suggest they wire their treadmills and stairclimbers directly into their home energy grid. How efficient and "green" is that? Not to mention, healthy. Want to microwave a bag of popcorn, hop on the treadmill and get to work.

Oh, it is even worse than that. In one of those NIMBY videos they admitted they hadn't gone to the planning meetings to try and understand what was going on, basically they claim that even though they had the ability to do just that, well, you know, you can't be BOTHERED to find out and put your opinion in to what is happening in your area.

Classic NIMBY, don't participate, don't understand, stand around with thumb in ass, and when something CHANGES....presto! Diseases arrive, sickness comes home to roost, the innocent landowner who couldn't be bothered must now try and walk back some multi million dollar construction project and failing that, cast about for a means to access the nearest deep pocket to pay for their ignorance.

Sounds complicated man. Annd thats coming from an electrical engineer. Assuming ur grid tied, balancing and managing the generation from wind and solar aint your problem. But if you were off grid with battery storage, youd be spending your days in the control bunker making sure you didnt blow out the system on awindy sunny day and had a constant guaranteed margin for the buildings.

Actually, most smaller turbines are designed to drop off line if the wind speed exceeds a certain kph. In some ways the system itself, it's operation and maintenance, is similar to the turbine-driven generators installed on aircraft. They do require more maintenance than a solar array, though. I've had solar at my place for a couple of years and it works pretty well. I'm planning on installing a wind generator after I've had a chance to clear more trees. Gotta have an open area where the wind will be effective. Right now, I use an old Subaru as a backup generator.
I am off grid and plan to stay that way, too.

He probably doesn't hunt, either, so a sprinkling of bat bodies and raptor guts will be a welcome infusion of protein to his diet.

Started supplying the family with venison at age 12 actually. Still keep the 348 Winchester around lest a nice mule deer wander through the yard at the wrong time of year.

I've had solar at my place for a couple of years and it works pretty well.
I am off grid and plan to stay that way, too.

I'm not off grid, and I use solar. I do place a priority on "easy" though, easy meaning as little interference with a normal grid supported home operation as possible. I just want the watts, and when I don't need them, just pass them along to the next house please.

Even if I didn't ever have any adverse reaction to vibrations I would hope I wouldn't discount those who said they did. We're creatures of nature. Not as attuned to it as our ancestors were but still affected by unnatural things.

Discounting what someone says requires a basis. Experience. Empirical evidence. Professional training. Something. My basis is that I went and wandered around one of these things, and did't notice the noise which some people are proclaiming causes a new disease.

You can imagine if someone proclaimed that they had AC-itis, and proclaimed they were dying from this noise, this disease, and were going to sue their electric company for brining alternating current into their house. Whereas you, and I, who also have alternating current in our house, don't even notice.

As far as us and "nature", well, sure, once upon a time all us chimps were happily eating bananas and not worrying about wind turbines to create electricity. Nowadays, we use computers which use that wind created power to post on the internet, and that doesn't even stop us from continuing to eat bananas if we want to! So feel free to eat bananas...and post on the internet, getting the best of the "natural" and "modern" worlds!
Your basis for objection to the OP is anecdotal and therefore worthless.

If you had any integrity, you'd go to the town in question and live there.

But your childish jumping and and down and screeching "It's not happening!!" is less than compelling.

Those people being made ill and driven out of their homes aren't getting the best of both worlds. Our internet connection is not more valuable than their quality of life. People don't abandon their homes after 20 years on a whim.

The disease they are claiming does not exist. And you haven't eliminated all the OTHER diseases they could be suffering from, including the psychological ones, a necessary requirement prior to creating an entirely new one no one has ever suffered from before.

As far as abandoning their homes, people do it because they are irritated. An oil company fracks a well in your county, you become irritated and move. You get a new neighbor, he/she irritates you and you move. You realize that a slump feature in the hill beside your house might...slump...and this scares you for what might happen in the future...and you move.

You do not get to assume that the irritant for one is near the irritant for another, and you certainly don't get to create a new disease from scratch so you can go after the deep pockets to pay for the claimed consequences of your newfound irritation.

So you assume their illness is imaginary because is hasn't affected you. OK, let's suppose you are allergic to peanuts and I knowingly feed you food containing them. Because I am unaffected, I should assume your anaphylaxis is imagined?

And if you think that the people OBJECTING to these poor choice of sitings are all anti-wind cranks ---

You need to watch THIS ONE.. Where most of the people interviewed were ALL FOR the wind project. But feel that they were GREATLY LIED to and had facts misrepresented.. Watch to end about the misrepresentation of property value impact..

NO SITINGS like the ones depicted here ought to EVER have been allowed....

Voices of Vinalhaven, Maine: wind turbine noise Part 1 - YouTube

If RGR thinks that the problem was these folks DIDN'T attend meetings, he needs to REWATCH the actual statements of THESE FOLKS who were LIED TO at those meetings.

"I was reassured by George Baker, head of Fox Island Wind, the sounds of the turbines at 1000 feet away... would be like a quiet conversation in a living room"

Their problem was the media and the green eco-frauds had sold them on the concept that wind is cute and cuddly and effiecient and that they would be saving the planet.

So, in the words of a woman in the above interview, THEY DIDN'T do further research or go as a group to OTHER SITES that were poorly sited near neighborhoods..

The lying WILL STOP as the experiences become more widespread. And the Wind frauds will have to stop and consider the effects BEFORE they poorly site another project. The truth is slowly getting it's pants on.. (See Mark Twain -- who said "A lie can travel halfway round the world before the truth even gets it's pants on") And those lies INCLUDE the false advertising of the economic benefits of wind projects..

Last edited:
Your basis for objection to the OP is anecdotal and therefore worthless.

The disease that these folks are coming up with is anecdotal, certainly what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

daveman said:
If you had any integrity, you'd go to the town in question and live there.

Hogwash. Integrity involves NIMBYs coming up with real reasons for trying to stop development BEFORE said development took place, and yet they refused to do so. A simple trip to Kansas would have shown them what was going to start happening, but they couldn't be bothered to LEARN. Caveat Emptor. I recommend paying more attention prior to deciding that diseases need to be manufactured to correct for stupidity.

daveman said:
But your childish jumping and and down and screeching "It's not happening!!" is less than compelling.

Learn how to read. I said no such thing.

If RGR thinks that the problem was these folks DIDN'T attend meetings, he needs to REWATCH the actual statements of THESE FOLKS who were LIED TO at those meetings.

"I was reassured by George Baker, head of Fox Island Wind, the sounds of the turbines at 1000 feet away... would be like a quiet conversation in a living room"

You appear to be taking NIMBYs at their word. Once upon a time, I did as well. Then when the things they claimed were contradicting the physical laws of the universe and whatnot, well, who do you believe then? NIMBYs, or Sir Isaac Newton and Co.?

flacaltenn said:
Their problem was the media and the green eco-frauds had sold them on the concept that wind is cute and cuddly and effiecient and that they would be saving the planet.

So have them take up their beef with the eco-frauds or the locals who they claim misled them (also without going to Kansas or Texas to hear for themselves), but don't EVER expect them to have investigated for themselves...oh no...we can't have ANY personal responsibility in America nowadays, can we? We need someone to blame for not doing our due diligence, preferably someone with deep pockets.

Two wind turbines towering above the Cape Cod community of Falmouth, Mass., were intended to produce green energy and savings -- but they've created angst and division, and may now be removed at a high cost as neighbors complain of noise and illness.

"It gets to be jet-engine loud," said Falmouth resident Neil Andersen. He and his wife Betsy live just a quarter mile from one of the turbines. They say the impact on their health has been devastating. They're suffering headaches, dizziness and sleep deprivation and often seek to escape the property where they've lived for more than 20 years.

Read more: Cape Cod community considers taking down wind turbines after illness, noise | Fox News

So it's not only songbirds and eagles being harmed by the monstrosities?

I'm confused, I don't know why this is causing health problems or if it is causing health problems. I live in the flight path of Sea Tac International Airport. Can I blame my headaches on them and get them to stop the planes?

Two wind turbines towering above the Cape Cod community of Falmouth, Mass., were intended to produce green energy and savings -- but they've created angst and division, and may now be removed at a high cost as neighbors complain of noise and illness.

"It gets to be jet-engine loud," said Falmouth resident Neil Andersen. He and his wife Betsy live just a quarter mile from one of the turbines. They say the impact on their health has been devastating. They're suffering headaches, dizziness and sleep deprivation and often seek to escape the property where they've lived for more than 20 years.

Read more: Cape Cod community considers taking down wind turbines after illness, noise | Fox News

I'm confused, I don't know why this is causing health problems or if it is causing health problems. I live in the flight path of Sea Tac International Airport. Can I blame my headaches on them and get them to stop the planes?

Probably not because
1) Sea-Tac was there before you were.
2) They are already COMPLYING with applicable regulations and monitoring.

Go to Sea-Tac and visit the "Noise Abatement Office".. Sometimes it's right in a Terminal with recordings of the all the arrival and departure noise levels..

So --- when are these wind farm operators gonna do the same?
And when are they gonna stop lying in order to get approvals for sitings?

Probably not because
1) Sea-Tac was there before you were.
2) They are already COMPLYING with applicable regulations and monitoring.

Go to Sea-Tac and visit the "Noise Abatement Office".. Sometimes it's right in a Terminal with recordings of the all the arrival and departure noise levels..

So --- when are these wind farm operators gonna do the same?
And when are they gonna stop lying in order to get approvals for sitings?

The airport was there but the 3rd runway wasn't AND they've changed the routes so that most of the planes fly right over my house, where they used to have to fly around north and come in so that the noise was spread out, but those in the north have more money than those of us in the south so now they all go right over my house. In the summer, you can't carry on a conversation in the back yard that lasts more than 5 minutes without getting interrupted. That was never like that back in the late 60's and early 70's when I was growing up down the block.

Forum List

Back