Faith of Our Fathers

Outstanding article Bon.

I can't remember the last time I went to church. I can't even remember the last church I was in. Perhaps the chapel at Lackland AFB when I was in A.F basic training. But my "faith" hasn't faultered, not one bit. My faith in the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost is as strong today as it's ever been.

The more I hear of all these attacks against Christianity, the stronger I become with my faith. I view the anti-Christianity movement as the work of the devil himself. It's evil.

I've read the Bible cover to cover, and have many of them. They give me great comfort.

Pale Rider said:
Outstanding article Bon.

I can't remember the last time I went to church. I can't even remember the last church I was in. Perhaps the chapel at Lackland AFB when I was in A.F basic training. But my "faith" hasn't faultered, not one bit. My faith in the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost is as strong today as it's ever been.

The more I hear of all these attacks against Christianity, the stronger I become with my faith. I view the anti-Christianity movement as the work of the devil himself. It's evil.

I've read the Bible cover to cover, and have many of them. They give me great comfort.

Here's one skeptical non-churchgoer who doesn't hesitate to call out to Jesus Christ when the screws are tightening.

There is a painting somewhere --- I think on a book cover, but it's from the 1700s or 1800s --- of a Revolutionary soldier or commander kneeling down in the snowy forest beside his horse to make the sign of the cross and pray. It is deeply inspirational.

Pale Rider said:
Outstanding article Bon.

For a while I too stopped going, just didn't seem important, and was unsinspired by the priest's sermons.
I have since found a new church with a priest that is so amazing, he's young but so incredibly smart, talented and enlightened. He talks about all the things political that we do on this board and relates it to religion and faith. When he speaks everyone in the church is riveted, he has that gift to tell it like it is very eloquently. One of the great things about this church is they have an adoration chapel that is always open, so sometimes I go there very late at night to meditate when it's quiet, peaceful, and no distractions. I feel very connected spriritally at those moments.

Maybe there is a church by you that has that?

Bonnie said:
For a while I too stopped going, just didn't seem important, and was unsinspired by the priest's sermons.
I have since found a new church with a priest that is so amazing, he's young but so incredibly smart, talented and enlightened. He talks about all the things political that we do on this board and relates it to religion and faith. When he speaks everyone in the church is riveted, he has that gift to tell it like it is very eloquently. One of the great things about this church is they have an adoration chapel that is always open, so sometimes I go there very late at night to meditate when it's quiet, peaceful, and no distractions. I feel very connected spriritally at those moments.

Maybe there is a church by you that has that?

Hey Bonnie, I went through periods where 'going to church' didn't seems all that important. As I've gotten older, I realize I need to take out time to contemplate. Now perhaps because of my hearing, as long as the priest is the celebrant, not the focus of the liturgy, I am at peace. I can't hear most of what they say, well I can in the 'old churches' but the ones near me are from the 50's-90's, so it's 'a place' of contemplation.

I pray and think and reflect.

Kathianne said:
I pray and think and reflect.

That's healthy. Everyone can benefit from reflecting on their own personal smallness in the scheme of things. This world was here before you, and it will be here after you. Question is, what are you going to make of your time on it? And what will become of you afterward?

William Joyce said:
That's healthy. Everyone can benefit from reflecting on their own personal smallness in the scheme of things. This world was here before you, and it will be here after you. Question is, what are you going to make of your time on it? And what will become of you afterward?
:beer: for once we agree!

Bonnie said:
Does it relieve stress? Maybe you can give me a few lessons. :coffee3:

That must be so cute to see them imitating their daddy..

:)

It does. I would suggest going to a nearby Buddhist Temple for lessons in meditation. They will cost a little, but less than the more secular places that can give lessons, and they have more experience in the techniques that are successful. You would not be asked to convert either.

William Joyce said:
Here's one skeptical non-churchgoer who doesn't hesitate to call out to Jesus Christ when the screws are tightening.

There is a painting somewhere --- I think on a book cover, but it's from the 1700s or 1800s --- of a Revolutionary soldier or commander kneeling down in the snowy forest beside his horse to make the sign of the cross and pray. It is deeply inspirational.

I can ASSURE you Bill, there is no skepticism about my belief in Christ. None what so ever. What ever gave you the impression there was? Personally, I don't feel one needs to go to church to have a good relationship with God. However, it does say in the Bible that Jesus said, "where ever there are two or more gathered in my name, there is power". The Lord knows what's in my heart, therefore he knows my faith.

Although the revolutionary soldier's actions do sound like something I'd do.

The way of the LORD is a refuge for the righteous, but it is the ruin of those who do evil.

Proverbs 10:29

Forum List

Back