Dumb women

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050608/lf_afp/canadavaticanwomenpriests_050608155049

Alright, im sure the title got your attention. and yes this is a link about some dumb women. apparently these women seem to think they can be ordained catholic priests and somehow their ordination would be binding and or accepted by anyone. talk about stupid.
I wouldn't go so far as to call them stupid.
I do wonder tho' how they think they can be called priests (ess) if they aren't recognized by the Catholic church.
Do any other religions have priests? And how will Catholics feel about having these women perform sacred rites if they aren't truly priests?
As a clergy, I am licensed to perform marriages, baptisms & funerals. If I choose, I am also permitted to have a nondenominational church. I am in no way a theologian or have a degree in religion.
So what are these women gaining? I think I'm confused.

Joz said:
So what are these women gaining? I think I'm confused.

Thats just it. they aren't gaining anything. Just time in the news. its not like they have any binding authority in the Catholic Church. In fact, they wont even be members long if they even still are. it just doesnt make sense when there are other denominations that would fit them better.

While I am not religious now I when I was a protestant in Germany
I had a female pastor for my confirmation.

While the OT did not approve of that the NT and Jesus seemed
to indicate it would be ok.

Now this is a catholic topic still I wonder why do they exclude
women from priesthood.

Are they considered genetically inferior by design?

nosarcasm said:
While I am not religious now I when I was a protestant in Germany
I had a female pastor for my confirmation.

women from priesthood.

Funny thing for me, considering my basic nature is to find as much information as I can, when it comes to the Church, I really do let 'faith' lead me. May not be intellectually rigorous, but it works for me.

With that, I can deal with most things in the Catholic Church, if NOT for that, I guess I would have to turn to the Jesuits and theology and that is not where I want to go.

What I don't understand is why some people, who vehemently disagree on one or more parts of the Doctrine, still try to call themselves Catholic, which is NOT a democracy? There are many Protestant groups they would be more comfortable with.

For some theological discussion on the topic, try here:

http://www.ewtn.com/library/LITURGY/WOMPRS.TXT

Many (most?) Protestant denominations allow women to be ordinated. I think the Catholic tradition of a male-only priesthood would be extremely hard to break. I'm not sure why these ladies are doing this, except maybe as a publicity stunt. They've got to know that their actions will not be accepted by their dioceses. (SP?)

I am thinking that if they act as Priests against the Church then excommunication may be the word of the day soon....

no1tovote4 said:
I am thinking that if they act as Priests against the Church then excommunication may be the word of the day soon....
So what do these women expect to gain??

(And,I realize I'm asking you to delve into the mind of a [liberal?]woman. Maybe the subject should be dropped.)

Joz said:

(And,I realize I'm asking you to delve into the mind of a [liberal?]woman. Maybe the subject should be dropped.)

It certainly isn't legitimacy. This is how "protestant" groups are formed. We get to watch history being made....

Using only Bible scripture, show me where ordaining is scriptural. Also where does the Bible say and /or indicate women are to be preachers, ministers, priests, in a church setting.

nosarcasm said:

The OT didn't have women priests; however, it did have women leaders. Consider Deborah, the judge. Or the Proverbs 31 woman who "inspects a field and buys it, and with her earnings plants a vineyard." Women were never meant by God to be only meek and weak household servants and baby bearers.

And in the NT, Jesus totally breaks the gender barrier many times, but especially when talking to the woman at the well. Paul declares with the authority of the Holy Spirit that there are no longer men vs. women, that all are equal spirits in the eyes of God.

women from priesthood.

I'm with Joz and Kathianne, here. What do those women hope to prove? The Catholic Church is still laboring under the weight of tradition, and women have been lesser citizens throughout history, generally speaking. But if they don't like it, why don't they join another church? Or start another church? Like Kathianne said, the Catholic Church is not a democracy.

mom4 said:
I'm with Joz and Kathianne, here. What do those women hope to prove? The Catholic Church is still laboring under the weight of tradition, and women have been lesser citizens throughout history, generally speaking. But if they don't like it, why don't they join another church? Or start another church? Like Kathianne said, the Catholic Church is not a democracy.

I think that is what they are doing here, just like Martin Luther. While he thought to work within the Church for change it simply didn't work out that way. This is how protestant churches are formed.

colehart said:
Using only Bible scripture, show me where ordaining is scriptural. Also where does the Bible say and /or indicate women are to be preachers, ministers, priests, in a church setting.

As far as ordination, you raise a great point that most churches have missed: all of us (male and female) are full-time ministers of the gospel, even though only some of us have a calling to "the ministry" through which we receive a paycheck.

As far as women being preachers, ministers, etc., there are NT references to women being deacons of churches. Paul prohibited women from being the leader of a church, but he specified that it was his decision.

colehart said:

28 "And afterward,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions.
29 Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days. (Joel 2)

8Leaving the next day, we reached Caesarea and stayed at the house of Philip the evangelist, one of the Seven. 9He had four unmarried daughters who prophesied. (Acts 21)

1 I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea, 2that you may receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and assist her in whatever business she has need of you; for indeed she has been a helper of many and of myself also.
3Greet Priscilla and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus, 4who risked their own necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles. (Romans 16)

In the Bible, the word "prophecy" means, not only telling the future, but preaching and teaching. I recommend the book 10 Lies the Church Tells Women. I know, it sounds like a load of feminist hooey, at least that's what I thought when I saw the title. But it's actually a scripturally sound explanation of women's role in the Body.

Joz said:

5 mins of fame and the ridicule of people like me:-D

Yeah well there is alot of room in there. I think its cause the tend to think with the same body parts men do...and i aint going there.

no1tovote4 said:
I think that is what they are doing here, just like Martin Luther. While he thought to work within the Church for change it simply didn't work out that way. This is how protestant churches are formed.
Unfortunately, even Martin Luther didn't leave much of a place for women in the church, or anywhere outside the home. He wrote, "If women get tired and die of [child]bearing, there is no harm in that; let them die as long as they bear; they are made for that." Wouldn't care to be married to either Calvin or Luther.

But, fortunately, Jesus had quite a different attitude. Maybe these women will form a new sect.

colehart said:
Using only Bible scripture, show me where ordaining is scriptural.

1) 1Timothy 2:7--Whereunto I am ordained a preacher.......

2) John 15:16--.......but I have chosen you and ordanined you........

3) Mark 3:14--And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him.....

1 Timothy 3 also describes how a man & his wife should be living if he desires the office of bishop or deacon.

gop_jeff said:
As far as ordination, you raise a great point that most churches have missed: all of us (male and female) are full-time ministers of the gospel, even though only some of us have a calling to "the ministry" through which we receive a paycheck.

As far as women being preachers, ministers, etc., there are NT references to women being deacons of churches. Paul prohibited women from being the leader of a church, but he specified that it was his decision.
Opposition to the ordination of women in the Roman Catholic Church is christological not scriptural. Because Jesus was a man and His disciples were men, the argument goes, women should not be priests. "If you want to be like Jesus, you've got to pee like Jesus" pretty much sums it up. Everyone being a minister of the Gospel is a Protestant perspective. Apostolic succession and performance of the Sacraments (except for marriage which the priest merely blesses and the couple performs) has been the way the Catholic Church approaches this area of belief.

Forum List

Back