Faith is Born from Fear

It has been said by many Christians that one of the primary reasons for someone being an atheist and saying that they don't believe is because they don't want to believe. They don't want to ask the hard question "What if I'm wrong?" because they can't accept the implications of that questioning. They claim that we as atheists take the easy way out but I argue that it is just the opposite. Christians downright refuse to humor any kind of questioning when it comes to their belief. They refuse to look inside themselves and ask "What if there is no God?" because they are terrified of the implications of that question. They claim we are afraid of hell but in fact it is they who are afraid of oblivion. Of nonexistence. Understandably so. The idea of ceasing to exist is unpleasant to say the least. That is why being an atheist is far from the easy way out.

As an atheist you look that unpleasant reality in the face, swallow your fear and accept it and live your life to its fullest. Being a Christian is a way of ignoring the fact that the world is an unpleasant and often unjust place where some people live their whole lives in despair before their flame of consciousness goes out forever. This world can be cruel and unfair but as atheists we accept that it's the only one we are ever going to get and that motivates us to fight our hardest to make it a better and brighter one. For our sake and for the sake of our children. We don't turn away from reality and turn a wishful eye to an afterlife that isn't going to happen.

Well, you have certainly patted yourself on the back here. I must wholeheartedly disagree. A Christian who has studied and has accepted God's plan for the future salvation of all His children has no fear of an eternity of fiery punishment, total and complete annihilation or any off the horrors and injustices of which you speak. We are at total peace with our faith.

That's the problem. You can be mean, evil greedy pricks and you think you are going to heaven just because you believe the Jesus myth.

Atheists have all asked, "what if I'm wrong?". You told us to ask ourselves that and we did. What we came up with was this.

It is the stupidest story I've ever heard. No chance of it being true. So, we are that sure the stories are bullshit. That takes belief. I truly believe your stories are man made up. And I'm so sure of it I'm willing to risk ETERNAL DAMNATION.

Theists on the other hand play it safe. They don't question because "it's better to be safe than sorry". So they have been scared/fooled into going along.

Christians believe unbelievable stories. Why? Because they are afraid if they don't they'll burn in hell forever. That's brainwashed.

And somehow all this effects you. Why all the anger? I'm not angry because you hate God. That you hate God has no effect at all upon me. Chill out. Anger can give you a heart attack, high blood pressure, etc.

What "anger"?

Where did he claim to "hate God"?

Why are you making things up that were never posted?

He didn't have to. His own words and anger told me.

It has been said by many Christians that one of the primary reasons for someone being an atheist and saying that they don't believe is because they don't want to believe. They don't want to ask the hard question "What if I'm wrong?" because they can't accept the implications of that questioning. They claim that we as atheists take the easy way out but I argue that it is just the opposite. Christians downright refuse to humor any kind of questioning when it comes to their belief. They refuse to look inside themselves and ask "What if there is no God?" because they are terrified of the implications of that question. They claim we are afraid of hell but in fact it is they who are afraid of oblivion. Of nonexistence. Understandably so. The idea of ceasing to exist is unpleasant to say the least. That is why being an atheist is far from the easy way out.

As an atheist you look that unpleasant reality in the face, swallow your fear and accept it and live your life to its fullest. Being a Christian is a way of ignoring the fact that the world is an unpleasant and often unjust place where some people live their whole lives in despair before their flame of consciousness goes out forever. This world can be cruel and unfair but as atheists we accept that it's the only one we are ever going to get and that motivates us to fight our hardest to make it a better and brighter one. For our sake and for the sake of our children. We don't turn away from reality and turn a wishful eye to an afterlife that isn't going to happen.

Well, you have certainly patted yourself on the back here. I must wholeheartedly disagree. A Christian who has studied and has accepted God's plan for the future salvation of all His children has no fear of an eternity of fiery punishment, total and complete annihilation or any off the horrors and injustices of which you speak. We are at total peace with our faith.

Essentially you have tacitly admitted that it was a fear of "an eternity of fiery punishment" that caused you to "accept" under duress "God's plan for the future salvation". That you are "at peace" with a "choice" that you made without access to all of the requisite knowledge necessary to make an informed decision is simply a rationalization on your part.

Where did I say that? Nowhere. Can't you read and comprehend what I said? It's very clear. I will give you due credit for saying "many" Christians instead of saying "Christians" or "all" Christians. Those Christians of whom you do not reference do not embrace any idea of a fiery hell or place of eternal punishing. Believe it or not, we even avoid any derogatory comments against atheists or other non-believers. We do appreciate and admire anyone who places truth above disparaging comments about others.

How ironic that you accuse others of not being able to "read and comprehend" while fallaciously accusing me using the term "Christians" which is nowhere to be found in what I actually wrote.

YOU used the term "Christian" whereas I did not.

I just stated that what you wrote was a tacit admission that you have embraced a religion out of fear of the consequences if you don't. Do you understand the meaning of the term "tacit"? Obviously not given that you are imagining terms I never used and failing to comprehend the terms that I did use.

Pray tell me what I am afraid of when I don't believe in your Hell?

Here: It has been said by many Christians that one of the primary reasons for someone being an atheist and saying that they don't believe is because they don't want to believe

You were exposed as making fallacious accusations but instead of being honest and admitting that you were wrong you throw out yet another fallacy.

Your lack of honesty and integrity is why those who wear their Christianity on their sleeve have zero credibility.

And I love pointing out that if you ask 100 Christians what they believe you'll get 100 different answers. To me that is proof that it's all made up. A lot of you may believe in God but god knows what that means because you all have your own different spins on it.

Reasoning skills really aren't your strong suit, are they?

A traffic accident happens and police go into the crowd of witnesses to take statements. They end up with 20 different version of events. Clearly, by your standards, no accident has happened and all statements have been made up by the "witnesses."

Solid reasoning there champ.

100 Christians give you 100 different answers. This could imply that 1 Christian is correct and 99 are incorrect. It could imply that God wants 100 Christians to follow 100 different paths to find him.

Either of those answers invalidates your conclusion of belief being fiction.

Stop already, your idiocy is giving the rest of us Atheists a bad reputation.

Only a theist would come up with that rationalization.

Anyone who lives in a city realizes that there usually exist many paths to get from Point A to Point B.

You are as transparent as glass! :lol:

And I love pointing out that if you ask 100 Christians what they believe you'll get 100 different answers. To me that is proof that it's all made up. A lot of you may believe in God but god knows what that means because you all have your own different spins on it.

A traffic accident happens and police go into the crowd of witnesses to take statements. They end up with 20 different version of events. Clearly, by your standards, no accident has happened and all statements have been made up by the "witnesses."

100 Christians give you 100 different answers. This could imply that 1 Christian is correct and 99 are incorrect. It could imply that God wants 100 Christians to follow 100 different paths to find him.

Anyone who lives in a city realizes that there usually exist many paths to get from Point A to Point B.

I love belittling the adherents of the Religion of Liberalism, no matter where I find them.

That's the problem. You can be mean, evil greedy pricks and you think you are going to heaven just because you believe the Jesus myth.

Atheists have all asked, "what if I'm wrong?". You told us to ask ourselves that and we did. What we came up with was this.

It is the stupidest story I've ever heard. No chance of it being true. So, we are that sure the stories are bullshit. That takes belief. I truly believe your stories are man made up. And I'm so sure of it I'm willing to risk ETERNAL DAMNATION.

Theists on the other hand play it safe. They don't question because "it's better to be safe than sorry". So they have been scared/fooled into going along.

Christians believe unbelievable stories. Why? Because they are afraid if they don't they'll burn in hell forever. That's brainwashed.

And somehow all this effects you. Why all the anger? I'm not angry because you hate God. That you hate God has no effect at all upon me. Chill out. Anger can give you a heart attack, high blood pressure, etc.

What "anger"?

So now you are tacitly admitting to lying about another poster since not a single word that he posted said anything about "hating" your God.

Essentially you have tacitly admitted that it was a fear of "an eternity of fiery punishment" that caused you to "accept" under duress "God's plan for the future salvation". That you are "at peace" with a "choice" that you made without access to all of the requisite knowledge necessary to make an informed decision is simply a rationalization on your part.

Where did I say that? Nowhere. Can't you read and comprehend what I said? It's very clear. I will give you due credit for saying "many" Christians instead of saying "Christians" or "all" Christians. Those Christians of whom you do not reference do not embrace any idea of a fiery hell or place of eternal punishing. Believe it or not, we even avoid any derogatory comments against atheists or other non-believers. We do appreciate and admire anyone who places truth above disparaging comments about others.

How ironic that you accuse others of not being able to "read and comprehend" while fallaciously accusing me using the term "Christians" which is nowhere to be found in what I actually wrote.

I just stated that what you wrote was a tacit admission that you have embraced a religion out of fear of the consequences if you don't. Do you understand the meaning of the term "tacit"? Obviously not given that you are imagining terms I never used and failing to comprehend the terms that I did use.

Here: It has been said by many Christians that one of the primary reasons for someone being an atheist and saying that they don't believe is because they don't want to believe

You were exposed as making fallacious accusations but instead of being honest and admitting that you were wrong you throw out yet another fallacy.

Your lack of honesty and integrity is why those who wear their Christianity on their sleeve have zero credibility.

No. I don't fit into your preconceived mold of the helpless Christian you so love to bash and you are unable to actually answer my question other than rant your hatred. Why are you atheists so angry all the time. Why so full of hate? Christians are of no threat to you. I'm not expressing any hatred towards any of you. Are you racists as well?

Good. I'm not the one full of hate though.

I love belittling the adherents of the Religion of Liberalism, no matter where I find them.

Obviously you have no clue at all how much you hurt your own credibility by believing in your "Religion of Liberalism" but whatever floats your boat. :cuckoo:

Do you hate blacks? Do you hate your Mother?

What "anger"?

So now you are tacitly admitting to lying about another poster since not a single word that he posted said anything about "hating" your God.

Obviously you have no clue at all how much you hurt your own credibility by believing in your "Religion of Liberalism" but whatever floats your boat. :cuckoo:

How does my beliefs cost you any money or any worry whatsoever? The fact that you hate God does not cost me one dime nor does it effect me in any way. I'm not even mad about your beliefs as you are mine.

No. I don't fit into your preconceived mold of the helpless Christian you so love to bash and you are unable to actually answer my question other than rant your hatred. Why are you atheists so angry all the time. Why so full of hate? Christians are of no threat to you. I'm not expressing any hatred towards any of you. Are you racists as well?

No surprise that yet another faux "Christian" wipes out when it comes to honesty and integrity. None of them can admit when they are wrong.

What gives you the impression that I'm trying to win favor with religious fanatics like you? I'm not a deprogammer hired by your parents to kidnap you out of your cult and set you straight. I'm simply trying to stop others from joining your cult and thus sparing them grief.

What gives you the impression that I'm trying to win favor with religious fanatics like you? I'm not a deprogammer hired by your parents to kidnap you out of your cult and set you straight. I'm simply trying to stop others from joining your cult and thus sparing them grief.

Ironic coming from a devout religious cultist like yourself.

No surprise that yet another faux "Christian" wipes out when it comes to honesty and integrity. None of them can admit when they are wrong.

Wrong where? Because I don't fit your mold? Because I am not filled with hate as you are? Thank you but hate such as yours can eat up one's insides. I refuse to hate anyone or anyone's beliefs. Do you also hate Black folks or are you afraid to answer because you probably hate anyone who is not exactly like you and on the same moral plane as you are.

Got to commend your tenacity gismo, but human being? Your are more like the terminator...YOU JUST WILL NOT STOP...EVER!!!

Got to commend your tenacity gismo, but human being? Your are more like the terminator...YOU JUST WILL NOT STOP...EVER!!!

Can't fathom all the hate the atheists express. Doesn't make sense. It's simply none of my business what you believe and costs me nothing for your believing anything you believe.

In order for that statement to work you would first have to prove that I stated at some point that I have faith.

No problem. I quote you directly, "There is no such thing as eternal life." That is a statement of pure, unadulterated faith. It is based upon nothing but belief. So it would appear my statement works.

I warned him that someone would catch that. :eusa_whistle:

Positive claims are the result of faith. I made a negative claim. I don't believe there is an afterlife. I have every reason not to so I behave as if there isn't one. Just like you and everyone else behaves as if there are no fairies, hobgoblins, or trolls, because you have no reason to think that they exist.

And now you are just kidding yourself. Your unsupported belief isn't faith because it is negative but their unsupported belief is faith because it is positive? If you actually want to be free of faith, free of belief, then you must begin by recognizing it in yourself. Rationalizing it does you no good at all.

If you people just told us that you believe in god do you think any of us atheists would care?

But we see you trying to put god or creationism back into school and you make us hate you. Your church argues against birth control so of course we hate you. Your churches don't understand the Constitution so they are anti gay marriage so of course we hate you.

The GOP used religion to con dumb middle class and poor voters into voting GOP so we hate religions. Proof god is an ignorant notion especially the people who take the bible or koran literally.

They also use religion to con us into war with Muslims.

Your religion bans stem cell research so we hate you when our love ones die of Alzheimers or Cancer, you fuckers.

We hate being told if we don't believe your bullshit we will go to hell. That is as offensive as the Muslims saying that all non believers should be put to death. WORSE because you say we'll burn in hell for eternity. My mom, my friends, me? I take offense. So I'm going to convince your kids that god is not real. The next generation needs to wake up. God has done a horrible job running the planet.

Yes. I do believe you would care. I don't think any of those things have anything at all to do with why you hate Christians.

Do Jews and Muslims hate you? I don't hate you any more than they do. I just don't believe your stories any more than they do.

Generic god doesn't scare me. Those people at least don't try to tell me I'm going to hell and they don't pretend that he came and talked to their ancestors 2014 years ago. So they aren't liars like you. Liars or the fools that believe the liars.

I don't hate you. I feel sorry for you. And I have to live with you assholes. If you are a representative of this god, your god sucks. I reject you, not your god. I just don't believe your god exists. He should ask you to do a better job spreading the word. You are a pathetic christian. One of the reasons I woke up from the brainwashing. I noticed like you I was a brainwashed Stepford Wife.

I'm not a Christian and I said you hate Christians. In fact, you said you hate Christians. You also assume everyone is a Christian and that all Christians think exactly the same way. Based upon your posts, I have concluded that you are still a Christian but God didn't meet your expectations, so you're pissed off. It takes a heck of a lot of faith to be as angry with God as you are.

Yea, you've tried that one before. I'm sorry I can't keep track of you Mormons, Jews, Muslims and "Others" when it comes to what kind of theist you are.

You are all crazy. If you are a jew, muslim or christian, christian light, mormon, doesn't matter, you are wrong. And if you believe in generic god, you're wrong too. I believed like that not too long ago.

Anyways, I try to keep it to generic god but it is hard because if you are arguing that the jesus god is real, then I have different arguments than if you are a muslim or jew. And you may not believe in hell.

So whatever buddy. Either way you lose the argument. If you believe in any organized religion then I can explain why you are wrong and if you are a generic theist then I can explain why you are wrong. If you want to tell me what kind you are I can tell you why you are wrong. Want to give it a shot?

I'll just tell you. If the organized religions are all made up, that should tell you so is the whole premise. And if you beleive any of the organized religions then I don't even know where to begin, but I'll try as soon as you tell me who the fuck you are.

I don't hate Jesus because he was just a man.

Did I ever tell you my great great great great great great great great grandfather was a Greek God? I'm from Sparta. No joke he was a god. My father told me, his father told him, so on and so on. You should believe my ancestors without question, even if the stories I'm about to tell you seem impossible. Just have faith.

Oh, and if you don't believe me you'll burn in hell. But if you do you get to go to heaven.

Perhaps you are in an argument, but we aren't. I have no desire at all to change your views, but if you actually do want to free yourself of all of the old beliefs you should do some serious introspection. As I said, it takes a heck of a lot of faith to hate God as much as you do.

I don't hate/reject god. I reject theists. I reject you.

I don't believe in this god. Hard to hate someone that you don't believe exists.

Do you hate a cult's god? No. You don't buy it. You hate the cult leader and you feel sorry for his stupid followers. You think those followers should get out of that cult, right?

But some part of me doesn't like a lot of christians either. Not my fault. If they were better people I wouldn't hate them. I like good people. Some of those good people are christians and some are jews, atheists, muslims, Mormons.

Yesterday Serena Williams thanked her Jehova god. Do you hate her god? Why don't you convert?

So basically you just don't like us calling you out on your superstition? Does it hurt your feelings we "reject" your god so much that you have to lie and say I hate your god? Because either you are a liar or fool and don't get the difference between not believing and hating your god.

"God has done a horrible job running the planet." Sure you don't believe.

Can't fathom all the hate the atheists express. Doesn't make sense. It's simply none of my business what you believe and costs me nothing for your believing anything you believe.

It's not the Atheism that is the source of the hate, it's their Religious Belief in Liberalism. This is a religious battle, just like when Muslims attack Jews. Recognize it for what it is. The majority of obnoxious Atheists have replaced the Christianity they were born into with a different religion, Liberalism. If they quash Christianity then the clear the field for Liberalism to reign dominant. Look at the world they want to create - one filled with their religious values, Liberalism from top to bottom.

It's not the Atheism that is the source of the hate, it's their Religious Belief in Liberalism. This is a religious battle, just like when Muslims attack Jews. Recognize it for what it is. The majority of obnoxious Atheists have replaced the Christianity they were born into with a different religion, Liberalism. If they quash Christianity then the clear the field for Liberalism to reign dominant. Look at the world they want to create - one filled with their religious values, Liberalism from top to bottom.

Strange. I thought the Liberals were all fuzzy little fuzzballs and were for equality for all or something like that.

Forum List

Back