Fairness Doctrine

KMAN

Jul 9, 2008
In your opinion why are Democrats only pushing for the Fairness Doctrine to be reinstituted for radio braodcasts and not television?

Who is pushing for it at all? Last I heard it was a dead horse, and thankfully so. So now one must wonder why you're still beating it? :eusa_think:

The best solution is not a fairness doctine, it's limiting the number of media outlets any single corporation can own.

The best solution is not a fairness doctine, it's limiting the number of media outlets any single corporation can own.

Already supposed to be the law. Perhaps we should actually enforce laws we ALREADY have rather then printing up more we are just going to ignore?

Already supposed to be the law. Perhaps we should actually enforce laws we ALREADY have rather then printing up more we are just going to ignore?

That law was dismantled, RSG.

That is how seven or eight corporations ended up owning 90% of all TV, radio and newspaper outlets in this nation in the last couple decades.

Given the finite resource of our radio band, I disagree.

Besides, this is the age of the net. There are an infinite amount of web based radio stations that could be pumped into cars that are set up to receive network signals. Why cry about the fairness doctrine, which as has been brought up, is why we see a consolidation of news media for the worse of the public, when we could start using our tech in new and exciting ways? I can think of a 1001 reason, from safety to informational, to treat wide area braodband like the new CB radio.

Given the finite resource of our radio band, I disagree.

Besides, this is the age of the net. There are an infinite amount of web based radio stations that could be pumped into cars that are set up to receive network signals. Why cry about the fairness doctrine, which as has been brought up, is why we see a consolidation of news media for the worse of the public, when we could start using our tech in new and exciting ways? I can think of a 1001 reason, from safety to informational, to treat wide area braodband like the new CB radio.

radio/broadcast frequency to the public for free on gvt airwaves are limited to those that get the gvt contract/lease for such....all other media is paid for by the consumer, be it satelite radio, or cable, or satelite tv, or the internet....

many do not pay for these other medias nor can afford to pay for such....the public airwaves are the only place they can get the full information on critical issues....on such, issues of importance to the public....should have vetting of all aspects of these issues on OUR airwaves....imho.

care

Last edited:
And no one is stopping Air America from becoming a big media hit...or Al Frankin from becoming a radio idol.... or even Care4All from emceeing a dull left wing propaganda radio show....
The left can't do it on their own because on one wants to listen to their shit, so they have to mandate us hearing their propaganda through law....

radio/broadcast frequency to the public for free on gvt airwaves are limited to those that get the gvt contract/lease for such....all other media is paid for by the consumer, be it satelite radio, or cable, or satelite tv, or the internet....

many do not pay for these other medias nor can afford to pay for such....the public airwaves are the only place they can get the full information on critical issues....on such, issues of importance to the public....should have vetting of all aspects of these issues on OUR airwaves....imho.

care

I tried to get a broadcast license after being willed a dead uncles 30 mile radius AM radio transmitter. It's exactly that selective contract allowance that becomes relevant when we are talking about a finite frequency band. Cable is the perfect example of jumping to the next mode of communication in order to alleviate the problem with a finite resource. Cable is notlimited in the channels they offer any more than would a broadband wide area network.

thats just my take on it. I'd still love to us this transmitter but who wants to go to jail for broadcasting pirate radio?

Who is pushing for it at all? Last I heard it was a dead horse, and thankfully so. So now one must wonder why you're still beating it? :eusa_think:

Pay attention boy...learn to read between the lines....

On the Spot (CNSNews.com) - A bill to permanently ban the “Fairness Doctrine” – a dormant FCC rule that says broadcasters, mainly talk radio, must grant equal air time to opposing viewpoints – probably will not be voted on this year in Congress, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) told CNSNews.com on Wednesday.

Hoyer also joined House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in strongly suggesting that he would support reactivating the Fairness Doctrine, telling CNSNews.com that he is interested in “ensuring the availability of fair and balanced information to the American public.”

CNSNews.com - Fairness Doctrine Vote Not Happening, House Majority Leader Says

And no one is stopping Air America from becoming a big media hit...or Al Frankin from becoming a radio idol.... or even Care4All from emceeing a dull left wing propaganda radio show....
The left can't do it on their own because on one wants to listen to their shit, so they have to mandate us hearing their propaganda through law....

the public free airwaves are limited, and deregulated news consolidations have basically put monopolies in key regions, where there is no ability to reach the public to the same degree...., same largess broadcasting radius for free.

the fairness doctrine does not demand equal and fair time on every issue....it never did when it and related statutes were in our laws for over 60 years?

it is my understanding that the fairness doctrine only requires that on huge public interest issues, ALL ASPECTS of these issues should be aired, not just the view of the owner of the news station we are giving the broadcast licence to....

this is only FAIR to me?

and care4all would NEVER be a host of her own show! she gets stage fright, like a deer in lights, when public speaking!!!!!!!!!!

care

the public free airwaves are limited, and deregulated news consolidations have basically put monopolies in key regions, where there is no ability to reach the public to the same degree...., same largess broadcasting radius for free.

the fairness doctrine does not demand equal and fair time on every issue....it never did when it and related statutes were in our laws for over 60 years?

it is my understanding that the fairness doctrine only requires that on huge public interest issues, ALL ASPECTS of these issues should be aired, not just the view of the owner of the news station we are giving the broadcast licence to....

this is only FAIR to me?

and care4all would NEVER be a host of her own show! she gets stage fright, like a deer in lights, when public speaking!!!!!!!!!!

care

put a bag over your head like the unknown comic. heck--you're invisible anyway.

WOW.

profound retort! You are so intellectually gifted!

I don't know what YOU read in to that comment that was SO PROFOUND to get a WOW.....?

it was an inside joke between dillo and me, on me always being on different message boards but always in the invisible mode my dear shogun.....

but please, tell me what you read in to it as being gifted? lmao....hahahahahahaha! Though i do agree, unless you really pay attention, Dillo tends to fade in his unusual comments or responses, or people just tend to ask, wtf did he just say or mean by that comment? But after you get used to him and his posting style, i tend to see a real smartass, with a sort of dry humor or smart elickness (sp?) that has made me chuckle more than a few times on other boards!

Care

an alarming new poll

Nearly half of Americans (47%) believe the government should require all radio and television stations to offer equal amounts of conservative and liberal political commentary, but they draw the line at imposing that same requirement on the Internet. Thirty-nine percent (39%) say leave radio and TV alone, too.

Rasmussen Reports: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election.

um, doesnt freedom of speech mean anything?

People don't understand what it means or how important it is because it's been so abused by the MSP.

That law was dismantled, RSG.

That is how seven or eight corporations ended up owning 90% of all TV, radio and newspaper outlets in this nation in the last couple decades.

Or get rid of the FCC and open up the 90% of the unused airways that no one can use.

Forum List

Back