Great Quotes

bornright

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Texas
Although there were very few things that I agreed with about LBJ I feel he did make an excellent and accurate quote on occassion. This quote came because of inaccurate and selective reporting of the Vietnam war.

"The fact that a man is a newspaper reporter is evidence of some flaw of character."

LBJ

Although there were very few things that I agreed with about LBJ I feel he did make an excellent and accurate quote on occassion. This quote came because of inaccurate and selective reporting of the Vietnam war.

"The fact that a man is a newspaper reporter is evidence of some flaw of character."

LBJ

LBJ, the guy who sent us into Vietnam, has no real standing about commenting on someone else's character.

Vietnam should never have happened

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments."

-William H. Borah

LBJ

That is certainly seemingly increasingly to be the case now.

It really wans't the case when LBJ said it though.

An unbiased media system has been elimiated as we destroyed the rulings about not allowing monopolies in the media markets.

"No matter how much spin, effort, lunch or dinner you give the media, they will not fail to notice whether you have won or lost."

~Robin Renwick, former British ambassador to the United States

"The biases the media has are much bigger than conservative or liberal. They're about getting ratings, about making money, about doing stories that are easy to cover."

~Al Franken, "Lies and the Lying Liars who Tell Them", 2003

"The average 20-year-old serving us in Iraq knows more about their country's national security than the average 20-year political veteran serving in the Congress today."

- Fred Thompson

"This country has shed more blood for the freedom of other people than all the other nations in the history of the world combined, and I'm tired of people feeling like they've got to apologize for America."

- Fred Thompson

"Life IS pain, princess! Anyone who says otherwise is selling something."

- from the Princess Bride movie (Wesley to Buttercup)

LBJ

LBJ had a man killed in Texas.

He was shot four times with a rifle and it was ruled a "suicide."

"Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his."

Ronald Reagan

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."

Ronald Reagan

Serious quote that should be thought out in the presidental election in november.

"Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes."

~Voltaire

From a person I have much respect for:

“I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.”

or

“The most heroic word in all languages is revolution.”

- Eugene Debs

A Conversation With Herman Goering

During the Nuremburg Trials in Germany after World War 2, Nazi leader Herman Goering was interviewed by Gustav Gilbert, an American intelligence officer. Goering said: "Of course the people don't want war. Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. . . . But after all it is the leaders of the country that determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along."

Gustav Gilbert replied: "There is one difference. In a democracy the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in America only Congress can declare wars."

Goering replied: "Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the will of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan

"Politicians never accuse you of 'greed' for wanting other people's money only for wanting to keep your own money." Joseph Sobran

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

A Conversation With Herman Goering

During the Nuremburg Trials in Germany after World War 2, Nazi leader Herman Goering was interviewed by Gustav Gilbert, an American intelligence officer. Goering said: "Of course the people don't want war. Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. . . . But after all it is the leaders of the country that determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along."

Gustav Gilbert replied: "There is one difference. In a democracy the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in America only Congress can declare wars."

Goering replied: "Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the will of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Pretty appropriate in a thread inundated by Reagan quotes. Here's a good one:

"They're a two day drive from Harlington, Texas!"

Related quote:

"Propaganda is to a democracy what the buldgeon is to the totalitarian state." - Noam Chomsky

Forum List

Back