FactChecking Obama’s Budget Speech

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
my my...the Obama DOESN'T lie now does he...:eusa_whistle:

The president went too far in his critique of the House Republicans' deficit-reduction plan.
April 15, 2011
Summary
President Barack Obama misrepresented the House Republicans’ budget plan at times and exaggerated its impact on U.S. residents during an April 13 speech on deficit reduction.

■Obama claimed the Republicans’ "Path to Prosperity" plan would cause "up to 50 million Americans … to lose their health insurance.” But that worst-case figure is based in part on speculation and assumptions.
■He said the GOP plan would replace Medicare with "a voucher program that leaves seniors at the mercy of the insurance industry." That’s an exaggeration. Nothing would change for those 55 and older. Those younger would get federal subsidies to buy private insurance from a Medicare exchange set up by the government.
■He said "poor children," "children with autism" and "kids with disabilities" would be left "to fend for themselves." That, too, is an exaggeration. The GOP says states would have "freedom and flexibility to tailor a Medicaid program that fits the needs of their unique populations." It doesn’t bar states from covering those children.
■He repeated a deceptive talking point that the new health care law will reduce the deficit by $1 trillion. That’s the Democrats’ own estimate over a 20-year period. The Congressional Budget Office pegged the deficit savings at $210 billion over 10 years and warned that estimates beyond a decade are "more and more uncertain."
■He falsely claimed that making the Bush tax cuts permanent would give away "$1 trillion worth of tax cuts for every millionaire and billionaire." That figure — which is actually $807 billion over 10 years — refers to tax cuts for individuals earning more than $200,000 and couples earning more than $250,000, not just millionaires and billionaires.
■He said the tax burden on the wealthy is the lowest it has been in 50 years. But the most recent nonpartisan congressional analysis showed that the average federal tax rate for high-income taxpayers was lower in 1986.
For more about the president’s deficit-reduction speech, please read our Analysis section.

Analysis
This week, President Barack Obama laid out his ideas on how to curb the growing deficit over the next decade and more — and he spent much of the afternoon speech at George Washington University criticizing a deficit-reduction plan, called "Path to Prosperity," released by House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin. But his critique strayed at times from the facts.

read it ALL here.
FactChecking Obama’s Budget Speech | FactCheck.org

the economy was great under clinton and bush. i wonder if obama made eye contact with paul ryan during the speech... biden ??
the president is such a fuckin liar he can't even tell the simplist truths, like his birth certificate, his whole past, the press is just as guilty, mccain took the high road, and lost.. i want him impeached, list of reasons is growing fast. that would be back to back impeached democrat presidents, for quite different reasons. with a republican house, he would be impeached.

Last edited:
the economy was great under clinton and bush. i wonder if obama made eye contact with paul ryan during the speech... biden ??

Maybe you were just sleeping during the final years under Bush.

You mean those last two years after the Democrats took over congress?

They had nothing to do with it. You cannot name a single bill passed by the Democratic Congress between 2007 and 2008 that caused the recession.

Dammit, shut down medicare and give vouchers to the elderly. If they happen to run over the alloted money (which WILL HAPPEN TO SENIOR CITIZENS), then oh well. Sorry. Deal with it.

Great plan! Great plan. I want to talk to a senior citizen who is on medicare who is a republican. I really would like to hear what he or she has to say about this.

I want to talk to a republican who is on medicare bacause they are handicapped. I wonder what happens to them?

t first, the Hammans decided to take advantage of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, known as Cobra, which allows most workers to keep, at their own expense, the coverage provided by their employers, usually for at least 18 months. But when the Hammans discovered that the cost of their Cobra plan would be $833 a month, they decided to buy less-expensive individual insurance in Tennessee.

Before leaving Florida, the couple filed an application for a policy with BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, and provided medical records. “The agent suggested that we might get ‘uprated’ for some relatively minor pre-existing conditions,” Mr. Hamman recalled. “We were fully expecting to pay as much as $500 a month.”
A few days later, their insurance agent called. BlueCross BlueShield had turned them down.

“We were stunned and flabbergasted,” Mr. Hamman said. “I had only been in the hospital overnight twice in my entire life — once to have my tonsils removed and once for elective sinus surgery. Kathy had been in the hospital once for an elective procedure and another time when she was 11 years old to have her appendix removed. We are both runners.”
Before Medicare, Sticker Shock and Rejection - New York Times

This is the falasy in the Ryan budget, when you send Seniors into the "private market" to purchase healthcare you assume they can purchase that healthcare without any financial impact upon those Seniors, disabled, Vets, etc. When in fact. ...

Under the proposal, most beneficiaries who receive premium support payments
would pay more for their health care than if they participated in traditional Medicare
under either of CBO’s long-term scenarios. CBO estimated that, in 2030, a typical
65-year-old would pay 68 percent of the benchmark under the proposal, compared
with 25 percent under the extended-baseline scenario and 30 percent under the alternative
fiscal scenario.
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/121xx/doc12128/04-05-Ryan_Letter.pdf

Data from the United States Department of Commerce and Internal Revenue Service indicate that income inequality has been increasing since the 1970s,[10][11][12][13][14] whereas it had been declining during the mid 20th century.[15][16] As of 2006, the United States had one of the highest levels of income inequality, as measured through the Gini index, among high income countries, comparable to that of some middle income countries such as Russia or Turkey,[17] being one of only few developed countries where inequality has increased since 1980

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/163575-factchecking-obama-s-budget-speech.html

Federal, state and local income taxes consumed 9.2% of all personal income in 2009, the lowest rate since 1950, the Bureau of Economic Analysis reports. That rate is far below the historic average of 12% for the last half-century. The overall tax burden hit bottom in December at 8.8.% of income before rising slightly in the first three months of 2010.

Tax bills in 2009 at lowest level since 1950 - USATODAY.com

Here's the point, while most in Washington D.C. including the President talk to those members of their party these days rather than represent the people who they are there to work for, the President has a point. This so called "it's okay because its only for those 55 and below" doesn't excuse the fact that that my party has been hi-jacked by members who fail to see that we stand upon the very shoulders of those we mean to send out into the "private market". Tell that to the Vet. who is 54 and paid into Medicare for over 34 years how nice your being to them but letting them choose from all those private insurers who are willing to line up to give him or her insurance for 500.00 a month.

Maybe you were just sleeping during the final years under Bush.

They had nothing to do with it. You cannot name a single bill passed by the Democratic Congress between 2007 and 2008 that caused the recession.

Bull shit, you can blame them for ADDING hundreds of Billions of dollars to Both Budgets Bush submitted to them.

Pelosi proudly said Bush was not spending enough, and Congress was not going to pass his budgets with out ADDING TO THEM!!!!

Bush was an asshole, but you blindly loyal democrat supporters take the cake. They helped drive the bus into the ditch, it was a team effort that spanned more than about 2 decades.

Dammit, shut down medicare and give vouchers to the elderly. If they happen to run over the alloted money (which WILL HAPPEN TO SENIOR CITIZENS), then oh well. Sorry. Deal with it.

Great plan! Great plan. I want to talk to a senior citizen who is on medicare who is a republican. I really would like to hear what he or she has to say about this.

I want to talk to a republican who is on medicare bacause they are handicapped. I wonder what happens to them?

What the hell are you talking about? The vouchers are not to be used to pay for medical services, they are to pay for INSURANCE that will cover them. You dumb fucks do not even know he first thing about the plan you are attacking. It is truly funny to watch.

Oh and by the way the plan would not effect even one person who is a senior right now, only those 54 and under when it passed would be put into the new system, Because the old system is GOING TO FAIL and not be for them if we do not act.

Bull shit, you can blame them for ADDING hundreds of Billions of dollars to Both Budgets Bush submitted to them.

Pelosi proudly said Bush was not spending enough, and Congress was not going to pass his budgets with out ADDING TO THEM!!!!

Bush was an asshole, but you blindly loyal democrat supporters take the cake. They helped drive the bus into the ditch, it was a team effort that spanned more than about 2 decades.

Heretic!!:eek:

The president went too far in his critique of the House Republicans' deficit-reduction plan.
April 15, 2011
Summary
President Barack Obama misrepresented the House Republicans’ budget plan at times and exaggerated its impact on U.S. residents during an April 13 speech on deficit reduction.

■Obama claimed the Republicans’ "Path to Prosperity" plan would cause "up to 50 million Americans … to lose their health insurance.” But that worst-case figure is based in part on speculation and assumptions.
■He said the GOP plan would replace Medicare with "a voucher program that leaves seniors at the mercy of the insurance industry." That’s an exaggeration. Nothing would change for those 55 and older. Those younger would get federal subsidies to buy private insurance from a Medicare exchange set up by the government.
■He said "poor children," "children with autism" and "kids with disabilities" would be left "to fend for themselves." That, too, is an exaggeration. The GOP says states would have "freedom and flexibility to tailor a Medicaid program that fits the needs of their unique populations." It doesn’t bar states from covering those children.
■He repeated a deceptive talking point that the new health care law will reduce the deficit by $1 trillion. That’s the Democrats’ own estimate over a 20-year period. The Congressional Budget Office pegged the deficit savings at $210 billion over 10 years and warned that estimates beyond a decade are "more and more uncertain."
■He falsely claimed that making the Bush tax cuts permanent would give away "$1 trillion worth of tax cuts for every millionaire and billionaire." That figure — which is actually $807 billion over 10 years — refers to tax cuts for individuals earning more than $200,000 and couples earning more than $250,000, not just millionaires and billionaires.
■He said the tax burden on the wealthy is the lowest it has been in 50 years. But the most recent nonpartisan congressional analysis showed that the average federal tax rate for high-income taxpayers was lower in 1986.
For more about the president’s deficit-reduction speech, please read our Analysis section.

Analysis
This week, President Barack Obama laid out his ideas on how to curb the growing deficit over the next decade and more — and he spent much of the afternoon speech at George Washington University criticizing a deficit-reduction plan, called "Path to Prosperity," released by House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin. But his critique strayed at times from the facts.

read it ALL here.
FactChecking Obama’s Budget Speech | FactCheck.org

Nothing like putting more bad spin on bad spin.

....And, what was the body-count?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejph4LBdmmc]YouTube - WMD LIES - Bush Cheney Rumsfeld etc. - THE ULTIMATE CLIP[/ame]​

If that is the "ultimate clip" what do you call these coming from DEMOCRATS YEARS before Bush EVER stepped into office? Little white lies or tiny fibs? GMAB!

Democrat Quotes on Iraq Weapons of Mass Destruction

Democrat Quotes on WMD

snopes.com: Weapons of Mass Destruction Quotes

Forum List

Back