F.B.I. says anything on the Internet can be considered a threat.

Progressives?

The senate viotes to extend the partiot act follows:
Yes: Republicans 41, Democrats 30
NO: Republicans 4, Democrats 18

the house:

Yes: Republicans 196, Democrats 54
No: Republicans 31, Democrats 122

Progressives my ass.

As president, Obama will:

• Close the Guantanamo Bay Detention Center. Guantanamo has become a recruiting tool for our enemies. The legal framework behind Guantanamo has failed completely, resulting in only one conviction. President Bush’s own Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, wants to close it. Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, wants to close it. The first step to reclaiming America’s standing in the world has to Paid for by Obama for America be closing this facility. As president, Barack Obama will close the detention facility at Guantanamo. He will reject the Military Commissions Act, which allowed the U.S. to circumvent Geneva Conventions in the handling of detainees. He will develop a fair and thorough process based on the Uniform Code of Military Justice to distinguish between those prisoners who should be prosecuted for their crimes, those who can’t be prosecuted but who can be held in a manner consistent with the laws of war, and those who should be released or transferred to their home countries.

• Revise the PATRIOT Act. Barack Obama believes that we must provide law enforcement the tools it needs to investigate, disrupt, and capture terrorists, but he also believes we need real oversight to avoid jeopardizing the rights and ideals of all Americans. There is no reason we cannot fight terrorism while maintaining our civil liberties. Unfortunately, the current administration has abused the powers given to it by the PATRIOT Act. A March 2007 Justice Department audit found the FBI improperly and, in some cases, illegally used the PATRIOT Act to secretly obtain personal information about American citizens. As president, Barack Obama would revisit the PATRIOT Act to ensure that there is real and robust oversight of tools like National Security Letters, sneak-and-peek searches, and the use of the material witness provision.

• Eliminate Warrantless Wiretaps. Barack Obama opposed the Bush Administration’s initial policy on warrantless wiretaps because it crossed the line between protecting our national security and eroding the civil liberties of American citizens. As president, Obama would update the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act to provide greater oversight and accountability to the congressional intelligence committees to prevent future threats to the rule of law.

Reauthorization of the PATRIOT Act
In February of 2010, President Obama signed an extension of the PATRIOT Act. The extension continued three key aspects of the PATRIOT Act:

Authorize court-approved roving wiretaps that permit surveillance on multiple phones.
Allow court-approved seizure of records and property in anti-terrorism operations.
Permit surveillance against a so-called lone wolf, a non-U.S. citizen engaged in terrorism who may not be part of a recognized terrorist group

Protect America Act of 2007

The Protect America Act of 2007 dealt with certain aspects of electronic surveillance and the overall war on terror. In the vote to pass the legislation, most Republicans supported the bill and only about 1/3 of the Democrats supported the legislation. Barack Obama voted against the Protect America Act of 2007.

Barack Obama voted against the Protect America Act of 2007.
Barack Obama on Homeland Security
You are so full of shit it ain't even funny.

I still find it horrific and disturbing that resources, man power, money and freedom are being wasted on such a foolish thing. It means that they will have to find a way to justify this stupidity by finding something.

I still find it horrific and disturbing that resources, man power, money and freedom are being wasted on such a foolish thing. It means that they will have to find a way to justify this stupidity by finding something.
Once again government shows the propensity to grow government.

Don't hold your breathe... This is country that renewed Mohammed Attah Visa AFTER he blow up on 9-11.. It's also the country that SWORE there were massive piles of WMDs in Iraq and let Osama BL go on multiple occasions.

It's largely window dressing -- like our "energy dept" -- like our "education dept" and like our "commerce dept.

I just saw and heard this in a news broadcast. Those are the words the man from the Bureau used.
This is something that began under Bush II and is not only continuing but has even been augmented under the present administration. This latter despite specific statements to the contrary, also shown in the report.

Thus, 'they' maintain that 'they' have the right to interpret anything said on the Web and pry wherever they want accordingly.

Five pages, so far, and not one link to this alleged conversation. Too many times we have seen people rush here to tell us about something they just heard on the TV or radio, and they have been way off on what was actually said.

You have provided no information as to the subject of the conversation, the show this FBI guy was on, nothing.

Anything on the internet can be considered a threat? Like, say, a picture of a puppy?

Well that's a clue.. Electronic Surveillance is NOT automatically spying.. If the law on obtaining warrants and wire-taps are properly followed -- then agencies like the FBI have to have the proper tools to apply these to cases..

DOJ describes their new DCAC facility as follows..
http://www.justice.gov/jmd/2012factsheets/docs/fy12-national-security.pdf

To address the growing technological gap between law enforcement’s electronic surveillance capabilities and the number and variety of communications devices available to the public, the Department is requesting $17.0 million and 37 positions. Of this amount, $15.0 million will support the establishment of the Domestic Communications Assistance Center (DCAC) under the FBI. The DCAC would leverage existing research and development efforts of federal law enforcement, facilitate the sharing of technology between law enforcement agencies, strengthen compliance with the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA), and seek to build more effective relations with the communications industry.

For an agency that was still using typewriters, teletypes, and rolladexes just a decade ago -- they may NEED a facility that understands encryption, digital comm. and new tech. Note this is supposed to be a TECH center -- not a surveillance operation.

We CLEARLY need to separate DOMESTIC surveillance from agencies like the CIA and NSA. But it's not clear -- how "enhanced" the FBI and DOJ needs to be to do that job..
I have some familiarity with how awful it would be if the DOJ tried to mimick the capabilities within the REAL spy agencies.. Trust me -- you're not gonna build a National Internet Surveillance operation with merely 100s of Mill$. It would take 100 times that.

That's why B.S. like the "Office of Total Awareness" was STOPPED IN ITS TRACKS when it was proposed right after 9/11.. Some politicians rightfully stood their ground..

Thank you for this post. Your links provided interesting reading, and even more links to yet more interesting reading.

I agree our law enforcement needs to be able to surveil bad guys who may be using modern technology to communicate. I have no problem with the government hacking into a bad guy's e-mail or cell phone conversations as long as they have a warrant. We need our government to have this capability.

Where it gets sticky is when we find the federal government has been demanding communications companies provide back doors to their encryption technology.

So far, though, the judiciary has ruled that technology is protected by the First Amendment.

Uncle Sam is just going to have to learn how to hack that stuff on his own.

Progressives?

the house:

Progressives my ass.

• Close the Guantanamo Bay Detention Center. Guantanamo has become a recruiting tool for our enemies. The legal framework behind Guantanamo has failed completely, resulting in only one conviction. President Bush’s own Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, wants to close it. Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, wants to close it. The first step to reclaiming America’s standing in the world has to Paid for by Obama for America be closing this facility. As president, Barack Obama will close the detention facility at Guantanamo. He will reject the Military Commissions Act, which allowed the U.S. to circumvent Geneva Conventions in the handling of detainees. He will develop a fair and thorough process based on the Uniform Code of Military Justice to distinguish between those prisoners who should be prosecuted for their crimes, those who can’t be prosecuted but who can be held in a manner consistent with the laws of war, and those who should be released or transferred to their home countries.

• Revise the PATRIOT Act. Barack Obama believes that we must provide law enforcement the tools it needs to investigate, disrupt, and capture terrorists, but he also believes we need real oversight to avoid jeopardizing the rights and ideals of all Americans. There is no reason we cannot fight terrorism while maintaining our civil liberties. Unfortunately, the current administration has abused the powers given to it by the PATRIOT Act. A March 2007 Justice Department audit found the FBI improperly and, in some cases, illegally used the PATRIOT Act to secretly obtain personal information about American citizens. As president, Barack Obama would revisit the PATRIOT Act to ensure that there is real and robust oversight of tools like National Security Letters, sneak-and-peek searches, and the use of the material witness provision.

• Eliminate Warrantless Wiretaps. Barack Obama opposed the Bush Administration’s initial policy on warrantless wiretaps because it crossed the line between protecting our national security and eroding the civil liberties of American citizens. As president, Obama would update the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act to provide greater oversight and accountability to the congressional intelligence committees to prevent future threats to the rule of law.

In February of 2010, President Obama signed an extension of the PATRIOT Act. The extension continued three key aspects of the PATRIOT Act:

Authorize court-approved roving wiretaps that permit surveillance on multiple phones.
Allow court-approved seizure of records and property in anti-terrorism operations.
Permit surveillance against a so-called lone wolf, a non-U.S. citizen engaged in terrorism who may not be part of a recognized terrorist group

The Protect America Act of 2007 dealt with certain aspects of electronic surveillance and the overall war on terror. In the vote to pass the legislation, most Republicans supported the bill and only about 1/3 of the Democrats supported the legislation. Barack Obama voted against the Protect America Act of 2007.

Yep Obama is, I figured that out by Apr 2009 and have called him Bush III ever since.

How long is it gonna take you to figure out that he would have had anything to sign on patriot act had the republicans in congress not voted for it's extension?
Including 42 Tea Party Caucus members.

Last edited:
Can't figure out why anyone expected other from Obama. I didn't. After all, he's a Democrat, the only thing as bad as a Republican.
Both parties are criminal organizations.

Can't figure out why anyone expected other from Obama. I didn't. After all, he's a Democrat, the only thing as bad as a Republican.
Both parties are criminal organizations.

Expect no, hope a bit for yes. but damn little.
I knew what we would get if I had voted the other way.

This time I am writing in myself on the ballot.
Just to let them know I voted but thought neither boob deserved the job.

Last edited:
Progressives?

the house:

Progressives my ass.

Progressives come in more than one variety, you know...

I like progress, and I want to conserve the Grand Canyon.

What am I? A congress?

Last edited:
Progressives?

the house:

Progressives my ass.

Progressives come in more than one variety, you know...

I think we are talking about people who are so fear driven as to give up their liberty.
And yes they are on both sides but judging from the vote the percentages of them are a lot higher among the rebutlickens.

Well duh. Is it a surprise that federal agencies monitor the web? They used to tap your freaking phone when Hoover was director. You want a free independent web? Be careful what you say.

They already monitor the web very much.
Remember the Carnivore system? They renamed it something else less catchy after that name slipped out.

Progressives?

the house:

Progressives my ass.

Yep Obama is, I figured that out by Apr 2009 and have called him Bush III ever since.

How long is it gonna take you to figure out that he would have had anything to sign on patriot act had the republicans in congress not voted for it's extension?
Including 42 Tea Party Caucus members.

I'll take care of those in North Carolina that voted for it you take care of what you can.

I just saw and heard this in a news broadcast. Those are the words the man from the Bureau used.
This is something that began under Bush II and is not only continuing but has even been augmented under the present administration. This latter despite specific statements to the contrary, also shown in the report.

Thus, 'they' maintain that 'they' have the right to interpret anything said on the Web and pry wherever they want accordingly.

Yeah, and? if you make threats of violence on the internet they should take it seriously. What do you want?

Great. So you say something and some idiot misinterprets it and comes knocking on your door. People can't say anything these days without the thought police or the morality brigade knocking on their doors!

Yeah, and? if you make threats of violence on the internet they should take it seriously. What do you want?

The problem is that it might not just be threats, it could be that someone who dislikes the Presidents says so and someone thinks they might be a threat.

Are you partisans now going to pretend that only one political party voted for the Patriot Act?

Seriously?

And you're going to debate which team is screwing us more, too, right?

Forum List

Back