Extradition

I

Indofred

Singaporean investigated over alleged exports to Iran The Jakarta Post

The Riau Islands Police are investigating Lim Yong Nam, 40, a Singaporean citizen who is wanted by the US Justice Department for allegedly exporting via Singapore US- manufactured electronic devices that are used in bombs in Iran.

The US has requested the National Police arrest Lim and extradite him to the US, while Singapore is striving to block to extradition, saying that the suspect had violated no laws in the US.

I popped this in clean debate in order to keep the discussion clean and free from the usual rubbish.
This man is accused of dealing with Iran, but has not broken any laws in the United states at all.
Given he hasn't done so, what right does the US have to demand he be sent there?

The Riau Islands Police are investigating Lim Yong Nam, 40, a Singaporean citizen who is wanted by the US Justice Department for allegedly exporting via Singapore US- manufactured electronic devices that are used in bombs in Iran.

The US has requested the National Police arrest Lim and extradite him to the US, while Singapore is striving to block to extradition, saying that the suspect had violated no laws in the US.

I popped this in clean debate in order to keep the discussion clean and free from the usual rubbish.
This man is accused of dealing with Iran, but has not broken any laws in the United states at all.
Given he hasn't done so, what right does the US have to demand he be sent there?
Might have something to do with the items being US made and there are sanctions against trade with Iran. After reading the article, looks like Mr.Lim is going to get a free ride to JFK.

Might have something to do with the items being US made and there are sanctions against trade with Iran. After reading the article, looks like Mr.Lim is going to get a free ride to JFK.

But no US laws have been broken on US soil - so why should he be tried in the US?
If I use a Gopro camera to film something unpleasant with children, should I be sent to the US to stand trial for my crimes?

But no US laws have been broken on US soil - so why should he be tried in the US?
If I use a Gopro camera to film something unpleasant with children, should I be sent to the US to stand trial for my crimes?
I'm not familiar with commerce laws or whether Free Trade Agreement rules are broken when someone from Singapore sells merchandise to a sanctioned country. Singapore has a FTA with the US.

Forum List

Back