Extra Help

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
We are contractually obligated to stay late after school one day a week to be available for extra help as students may need. However, it is my personal policy to stay late after school any time any students need extra help. Lately this has been biting me in the ass because a growing number of students are showing up after last block just about every day. Most of them are not even students in my classes this year, but students from last year or earlier who are having trouble with subject-area classes after testing out (or timing out) of language support. Some just want someone to talk to, or are (for various reasons) in no hurry to go home. Most days I skip lunch because I know for a fact that some of these young people won't have dinner waiting for them at home. Since my wife usually packs me an enormous lunch, I generally have plenty to go around. It's more interesting when they actually need help with History, Biology, etc., but helping students however they need is the only good reason to get into this line of work. Now I have 10-12 tabs open making lesson plans for tomorrow. Gotta read to my own young one and get everyone ready for bed soon.

Totally worth all of it.

We are contractually obligated to stay late after school one day a week to be available for extra help as students may need. However, it is my personal policy to stay late after school any time any students need extra help. Lately this has been biting me in the ass because a growing number of students are showing up after last block just about every day. Most of them are not even students in my classes this year, but students from last year or earlier who are having trouble with subject-area classes after testing out (or timing out) of language support. Some just want someone to talk to, or are (for various reasons) in no hurry to go home. Most days I skip lunch because I know for a fact that some of these young people won't have dinner waiting for them at home. Since my wife usually packs me an enormous lunch, I generally have plenty to go around. It's more interesting when they actually need help with History, Biology, etc., but helping students however they need is the only good reason to get into this line of work. Now I have 10-12 tabs open making lesson plans for tomorrow. Gotta read to my own young one and get everyone ready for bed soon.

Totally worth all of it.
Aye man, keep doin' it like you're doin' it. :dunno:

You ain't wrong.

Totally worth all of it.
An idea I always had when I was a kid in high school was how much easier it would be to get extra help if teachers just video recorded their lessons, then I wouldn't have to go after class to hear what I wasn't listening to in class because my ADHD was too out of control that day. If there was anything I missed in class I could just watch the lesson again. As a student who often was Mr. Space Cadet in many of my classes suffering from ADHD and Dyslexia this would of helped me a lot. Just an idea to save you somewhat from staying late all the time.

An idea I always had when I was a kid in high school was how much easier it would be to get extra help if teachers just video recorded their lessons, then I wouldn't have to go after class to hear what I wasn't listening to in class because my ADHD was too out of control that day. If there was anything I missed in class I could just watch the lesson again. As a student who often was Mr. Space Cadet in many of my classes suffering from ADHD and Dyslexia this would of helped me a lot. Just an idea to save you somewhat from staying late all the time.
Many colleges do something like that now, but that does NOT work for k-12 education.

Many colleges do something like that now, but that does NOT work for k-12 education.
It is a shame they should do that in K-12 !

I never had a problem understanding the material, my problem always was being spaced out due to ADHD and not listening to the material in the class. A video to watch what I wasn't paying attention during class would of made K-12 so much easier for me.

As a student who had ADHD and Dyslexia in school I am telling you what would of worked for me and many students :) Having had the disorder as a kid I know how to teach those kids better than any one in my opinion.

Forum List

Back