Extendn Unemplymnt Insurnce Ths Yr Shld Be A Given Fr Cngrss!

That would be a good idea in some circumstances. In fact, we may be approaching it in our economy. Some economists believe we're facing structural unemployment which never will fall. Unless we permanently subsidize some former workers, they will suffer greatly.

And it will give the SEIU yet another source for union members. My question is: What do we do if the unemployed threaten to strike?

Funny you should mention that. I was musing on a related possibility yesterday.

Among the 15,000,000 unemployed almost certainly are ex-military. Others among that number are young men with families. What do you suppose they'll do when their benefits run-out? Sit peacefully under a bridge as their wives and children starve?

That would be a good idea in some circumstances. In fact, we may be approaching it in our economy. Some economists believe we're facing structural unemployment which never will fall. Unless we permanently subsidize some former workers, they will suffer greatly.

And it will give the SEIU yet another source for union members. My question is: What do we do if the unemployed threaten to strike?

Among the 15,000,000 unemployed almost certainly are ex-military. Others among that number are young men with families. What do you suppose they'll do when their benefits run-out? Sit peacefully under a bridge as their wives and children starve?

Of course not. They will go out and find themselves jobs. Thanks for making my point and refuting your own.
End game.

Of course not. They will go out and find themselves jobs. Thanks for making my point and refuting your own.
End game.

We've already agreed the economy has only one job for every five workers and can't produce enough in the short run for the rest. Where will the jobs come from?

End game.

Post where there are 15 million jobs available, since it is so easy with your one size fits all.

Oh and if you are jealous of someone collecting benefits, instead of moaning about it start a small company and hire someone or more. As soon as employment gets into a healthy range there will be no extensions.

Wow! It is a three way race to the finish line for most ignorant poster on this board...Dante, eots, and now factfinder. I wasn't aware that businesse's only obligation was to hire people. Is that the only reason to open a business? are you kidding me?...hahaha...employment is a byproduct of a good idea. The more people that want to buy into this idea, whether it be a product or service, then the more people get hired. Communism does it factfinder's way. "X" amount of people are guaranteed jobs regardless of the demand. It hasn't worked in the history of the world...unless you are willing to divide the wage of one person into 10-15, so those guaranteed jobsbring in a pay check...but wait...it gets better...If you are guaranteed a job, then what is the incentive to do that job well? If I'm working hard and doing good and the guy next to me is slacking and doing nothing, then why should I kill myself if both of us are treated the same? This is what happens when business is only there to give warm bodies a place to go every day. This is what happens when a person pays the bills and works hard, but sees his neighbor lay around collecting government handouts without any fear of losing something.

I know these days that quoting scripture will not win any popularity contests but has anyone gotten it yet that we may be on the wrong paths? Could there be a possibility that remembering our roots and previous foundations when the country was going up in prosperity and not down could possibly be advantagious?

Deuteronomy 15:7-11:
7 If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within any of thy gates in thy land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother:
8 But thou shalt open thine hand wide unto him, and shalt surely lend him sufficient for his need, in that which he wanteth.
9 Beware that there be not a thought in thy wicked heart, saying, The seventh year, the year of release, is at hand; and thine eye be evil against thy poor brother, and thou givest him nought; and he cry unto the LORD against thee, and it be sin unto thee.
10 Thou shalt surely give him, and thine heart shall not be grieved when thou givest unto him: because that for this thing the LORD thy God shall bless thee in all thy works, and in all that thou puttest thine hand unto.
11 For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land.

May God Bless America!
That's good scripture. Notice how it's a command to individuals to help those less fortunate. It's not a command to government.

End game.

We've already agreed the economy has only one job for every five workers and can't produce enough in the short run for the rest. Where will the jobs come from?

Do you think people will sit around and let themselves and their families go live under the bridge?

Growth comes from growth investment, not gold, not silver, not rehashing the same old tired industries but from sucking up the gut and investing in research and new inventions.

playing the stock market is a coward's game and reaps a coward's reward.
How do you think companies get the money to invest in research and new inventions?

Hint: They get it by people playing the stock market.

I know these days that quoting scripture will not win any popularity contests but has anyone gotten it yet that we may be on the wrong paths? Could there be a possibility that remembering our roots and previous foundations when the country was going up in prosperity and not down could possibly be advantagious?

Deuteronomy 15:7-11:
7 If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within any of thy gates in thy land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother:
8 But thou shalt open thine hand wide unto him, and shalt surely lend him sufficient for his need, in that which he wanteth.
9 Beware that there be not a thought in thy wicked heart, saying, The seventh year, the year of release, is at hand; and thine eye be evil against thy poor brother, and thou givest him nought; and he cry unto the LORD against thee, and it be sin unto thee.
10 Thou shalt surely give him, and thine heart shall not be grieved when thou givest unto him: because that for this thing the LORD thy God shall bless thee in all thy works, and in all that thou puttest thine hand unto.
11 For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land.

May God Bless America!
That's good scripture. Notice how it's a command to individuals to help those less fortunate. It's not a command to government.

I totally agree but since the individuals are failing and suffering the consequences of their failures then government needs to take care of all the people not just Wall Street, Afghanistan and Iraq.

Yes, they must extend unemployment beyond the nearly 2 years it already runs. Because we don't want people having to go out to look for work during the Xmas season, right? They should be home, enjoying the holidays with lots of presents courtesy of the US taxpayer.

What a 'tard. People need to get off their asses and get a job. If they end up on the street then we can see about doing something. But people are resourceful. They will find something to do.

15,000,000 unemployed.

3,000,000 job openings.

Get it?

And putting people on permament welfare fixes this how?

Growth comes from growth investment, not gold, not silver, not rehashing the same old tired industries but from sucking up the gut and investing in research and new inventions.

playing the stock market is a coward's game and reaps a coward's reward.
How do you think companies get the money to invest in research and new inventions?

Hint: They get it by people playing the stock market.

Certainly not by rehashing the same old tired stocks, but by investing in research, innovation and invention. That is a rare commodity in the gambling house of Wall Street.

In the short run, they are. The economy can't expand fast enough to absorb the unemployed at rate Americans find acceptable.

Federal extensions are part of the public policy. We do it every time unemployment rises to an unacceptable level.

And what is government doing for unemployment other than spending us into more debt and getting in the way of business?

Do you know what an economy is? It's money in motion and business has failed to make it move so the government has to do it. That takes debt or taxes. Personally, I think taxes would be the better choice but that's politically far more difficult than borrowing.

No the gubmint doesn't have to do squat but get out of the way.

And what is government doing for unemployment other than spending us into more debt and getting in the way of business?

Do you know what an economy is? It's money in motion and business has failed to make it move so the government has to do it. That takes debt or taxes. Personally, I think taxes would be the better choice but that's politically far more difficult than borrowing.

That was not the cry of Wall Street when they were looking for bailouts.

End game.

Do you think people will sit around and let themselves and their families go live under the bridge?

That's the whole point of my question. Do you?

What are they going to do without a job, without the prospect of a job, without benefits and facing starvation?

Yes, they must extend unemployment beyond the nearly 2 years it already runs. Because we don't want people having to go out to look for work during the Xmas season, right? They should be home, enjoying the holidays with lots of presents courtesy of the US taxpayer.

What a 'tard. People need to get off their asses and get a job. If they end up on the street then we can see about doing something. But people are resourceful. They will find something to do.

15,000,000 unemployed.

3,000,000 job openings.

Get it?

And putting people on permament welfare fixes this how?

Extended unemployment benefits is not permanent welfare.

Extendn Unemplymnt Insurnce Ths Yr Shld Be A Given Fr Cngrss!

Not if it's Republican controlled.

They apoligized to BP.

They want to give tax breaks to millionaires and billionaires.

No one can name a single thing the right has done to help the middle class in 20 years.

Why mess up a "perfect" record?

Besides, some Republicans have said, "If you feed the poor, they'll breed". If they don't have a job, then they are poor. Letting them starve will be good for the economy.

That was not the cry of Wall Street when they were looking for bailouts.

And they should have never been granted. Guess whom did that?

Forum List

Back