Zone1 Explaining to your 84 year old Mother what Alexa is...

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I want to get mom an Alexa, for a multitude of reasons including Alexa emergency uses.
Me: "You can just say "Echo call [my name] and I will be able to hear you, and you can hear me and talk thru it.
Mom: "I don't want you to hear what I am doing down here"
Me: "No mom, I can't hear you unless you tell her to call me.
Mom: "Then they could here us too?"
Me: "Mom there is no they, it is not a person, it is a computer"
Mom "Oh it can't work unless there is a person calling"
Me: "Ok mom (pull out my phone) "Siri what is the temperature" -- "It is 82 degrees"
See mom? There is no person who is saying that, it is a computer saying that, it just looks it up for you"
Mom "So you have to put something outside so it knows"
AUUUUUUUGH
That was just the first minute... it actually took me another 5 minutes or so to get her to believe there is no person involved, it is just a computer that can understand words... just like you type on your laptop what is the temperature.. it just hears you say it.

I hope this works...

I want to get mom an Alexa, for a multitude of reasons including Alexa emergency uses.
Me: "You can just say "Echo call [my name] and I will be able to hear you, and you can hear me and talk thru it.
Me: "Ok mom (pull out my phone) "Siri what is the temperature" -- "It is 82 degrees"
See mom? There is no person who is saying that, it is a computer saying that, it just looks it up for you"
AUUUUUUUGH
That was just the first minute... it actually took me another 5 minutes or so to get her to believe there is no person involved, it is just a computer that can understand words... just like you type on your laptop what is the temperature.. it just hears you say it.

I hope this works...

let me remind y'all this is the woman that cleaned your little dirty butt, made decisions for ya, wiped your nose, cleaned you up, bought you food, cooked it, fed it to ya, and then cleaned up after you. put you to bed, paid for everything and made sure you were happy. In your little world, she was everything. now get that damn thing ouf of her house and you show up to care for her.:spank:

You might as well forget it working out how you hope or planned. Even if you can teach her how to use it, she probably won't.

let me remind y'all this is the woman that cleaned your little dirty butt, made decisions for ya, wiped your nose, cleaned you up, bought you food, cooked it, fed it to ya, and then cleaned up after you. put you to bed, paid for everything and made sure you were happy. In your little world, she was everything. now get that damn thing ouf of her house and you show up to care for her.:spank:
:D
Uh... I took her in. She lives in our house after my father died.

Remove the foot. :D

You might as well forget it working out how you hope or planned. Even if you can teach her how to use it, she probably won't.
She has a motivation... she fell yesterday, she doesn't like the push button things... is supposed to carry her little flip phone around all the time. Forgot it. So she had to drag herself 10 feet across the room, use the chair to get herself up and call me.
She got a little scared, so she is pretty motivated.
Her memory is similar to our current President, so you can see that a device you wear etc. she will never remember. So I want to get her two synced echo's placed so that no matter which room she is in it will hear her.
I am going to set up several triggers etc. where it will remind her everyday what it's name is, each morning tell her what day it is, remind her of things on her calendar etc.

Last edited:

She has a motivation... she fell yesterday, shoe doesn't like the push button thing... is supposed to carry her little flip phone around all the time. Forgot it. So she had to drag herself 10 feet across the room, use the chair to get herself up and call me.
She got a little scared, so she is pretty motivated.
Her memory is similar to our current President, so you can see that a device you wear etc. she will never remember. So I want to get her two synced echo's placed so that no matter which room she is in it will hear her.
I am going to set up several triggers etc. where it will remind her everyday what it's name is, each morning tell her what day it is, remind her of things on her calendar etc.

Did she ever watch the Jetsons????? Maybe that would help her to understand it better???

Just don't rush her, I'm sure she's feeling her vulnerability as it is, without you pushing all these new fangled gadgets at her......even if it is to help her .

Did she ever watch the Jetsons????? Maybe that would help her to understand it better???

Just don't rush her, I'm sure she's feeling her vulnerability as it is, without you pushing all these new fangled gadgets at her......even if it is to help her .
The good thing is a few years ago I convinced her to get a laptop. That took some doing, but she loves the thing now. Her siblings email each other everyday, send pictures etc. When she doesn't feel like going to church, I set up a shortcut on her desktop where she can watch the service online etc.
She definitely was interested in all she has to do is say "Echo help" and it will call my cell phone.

The good thing is a few years ago I convinced her to get a laptop. That took some doing, but she loves the thing now. Her siblings email each other everyday, send pictures etc. When she doesn't feel like going to church, I set up a shortcut on her desktop where she can watch the service online etc.
She definitely was interested in all she has to do is say "Echo help" and it will call my cell phone.

If the Echo, Siri, Alexa doesn't work........then you set up ring cameras and you can keep an eye & ear on her that way. Though IDK if she'll understand what's going on if you talk to her thru it

AUUUUUUUGH

I hope this works...
There has been a lot of talk in the media about Alexa, etc. gathering information and stories about. She may have seen this on her laptop.

Turning an Echo Into a Spy Device Only Took Some Clever Coding

Forum List

Back