Exit English?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
If Britain does leave the EU, could the English language leave also? German is the most spoken first language in the EU, but the Germans have never been too fired up about promoting their language. The French however, have long resented the also-ran status of their tongue behind English; something that picks at their strange version of pride deeply. If the UK leaves the EU, the French would undoubtedly see an opportunity to push for the de facto if not de jure primacy of French as the language in which the union conducts itself.

If Britain does leave the EU, could the English language leave also? German is the most spoken first language in the EU, but the Germans have never been too fired up about promoting their language. The French however, have long resented the also-ran status of their tongue behind English; something that picks at their strange version of pride deeply. If the UK leaves the EU, the French would undoubtedly see an opportunity to push for the de facto if not de jure primacy of French as the language in which the union conducts itself.

Just learn Arabic and get the invasion over with or maybe Russian...

Actually, the smart money is on either Cantonese or Mandarin.

And the really smart money is on Mandarin.

Um, in the EU?

Many many decades ago Tagalog was invented by an Englishman in the Philippine Islands because there where too many different Philippine languages there. Tagalog made it easy for different tribes to speak and easy to learn and has less letters than the English alphabet.

In Hungary (Central Europe) both languages prevalent. German and English equally, but the current Hungarian government's preference for the English language, because many is the US companies in Hungary (and the British TESCO network smart :) )

I work for a US company's subsidiary in Hungary (CTDI).
IMG_20160310_055143.jpg

In Hungary (Central Europe) both languages prevalent. German and English equally, but the current Hungarian government's preference for the English language, because many is the US companies in Hungary (and the British TESCO network smart :) )

View attachment 72703

You have a cool job and there are a lot of ancient historical sites in Hungry and neighboring countries that I would want to see if I was as lucky as you.

Most people in Mitteleuropa speak English as a second language, usually everyone who has a University education will also have learned the English language and learned it very well.

I think the British are either not bothered with learning another language or maybe feel they don't need to learn another language.

Across Mitteleuropa it's possible where people can speak four more languages other than their native tongue.

Um, in the EU?

This is correct, because there's so much trade between the EU and China, they're talking about encouraging schoolchildren to learn Mandarin.

Listen, English is in fact institutionalized as the new Lingua Franca. With globalization, the internet and two generations schooled in the language there is no going back and certainly not because the UK might leave the EU.

View attachment 72703

You have a cool job and there are a lot of ancient historical sites in Hungry and neighboring countries that I would want to see if I was as lucky as you.

Yes, I have a good job under the circumstances right now. But I'm just an ordinary factory worker. Formerly, I worked for other foreign companies in Hungary. The best companies from the US. :) (This is not a joke, it's true really!)
However, I get the Hungarian minimum wage. I get Hungarian forints, which is approximately $ 2 per hour. The work is similar in the US and it is to pay $ 7-10 there. I'm too old for adventure, but I would like to work a little yet in the US.
(I could explain it, I just do not write now here.)

German, English and French are official EU languages. But you need a lot of fantasy to call it German, what is spoken here. It is rather some One-World-Idiot-Language of a regressing species and similar to "BASIC English", but it is not an invention but a consequence when the most uneducated and moronic shitheads from all across the world come together.

English language is popular not because of Britain, but thankfully to US power. And this is not connected with brexit. The second language you should consider is chinese. IMO.

English language is popular not because of Britain, but thankfully to US power. And this is not connected with brexit. The second language you should consider is chinese. IMO.

You realize the topic is the working languages within the EU, right?

Do you realize that EU is the part of the world?

Do you realize that EU is the part of the world?

Ya don't say...

German, English and French are official EU languages. But you need a lot of fantasy to call it German, what is spoken here. It is rather some One-World-Idiot-Language of a regressing species and similar to "BASIC English"
I feel your pain. I have older German friends who cannot stand what Americanization and globalization have done to the German language. I fear that the language of Goethe -- or even of Christian Morgenstern -- is well on its way to extinction.

It may surprise you that I feel the same way about English. I detest smug English speakers who gloat about English becoming a world language -- I regard such an outcome as the death of English -- all its subtlety and quirkiness would be crushed out of existence, it makes me shiver.

I revere the Chinese language -- at least classical Chinese -- but it is not for Europe, and it is too difficult to serve as a world language.

I favour reviving ancient Attic Greek as a world language. It is the most beautiful language that I know, both as a spoken language and for its literary heritage. Its use would elevate culture and science to a greater degree than any modern language.

Most people think that its grammar is too difficult, but that is not so. I have myself reduced 90% of its grammar to seven short pages. One just needs to know how the phonology changes in different spoken environments.

Of course, I am not holding my breath for Europe to adopt ancient Greek, but it would be a wonderful thing if it did.

German, English and French are official EU languages. But you need a lot of fantasy to call it German, what is spoken here. It is rather some One-World-Idiot-Language of a regressing species and similar to "BASIC English"
I feel your pain. I have older German friends who cannot stand what Americanization and globalization have done to the German language. I fear that the language of Goethe -- or even of Christian Morgenstern -- is well on its way to extinction.

It may surprise you that I feel the same way about English. I detest smug English speakers who gloat about English becoming a world language -- I regard such an outcome as the death of English -- all its subtlety and quirkiness would be crushed out of existence, it makes me shiver.

I revere the Chinese language -- at least classical Chinese -- but it is not for Europe, and it is too difficult to serve as a world language.

I favour reviving ancient Attic Greek as a world language. It is the most beautiful language that I know, both as a spoken language and for its literary heritage. Its use would elevate culture and science to a greater degree than any modern language.

Most people think that its grammar is too difficult, but that is not so. I have myself reduced 90% of its grammar to seven short pages. One just needs to know how the phonology changes in different spoken environments.

Of course, I am not holding my breath for Europe to adopt ancient Greek, but it would be a wonderful thing if it did.
You are right - environment has a lot of influence on people.

Phonology is not grammar.

There is no "too difficult" language.

Forum List

Back