Exercise in Health and Lifestyle: what and how much do you do

I exercise six days of the week, but the below is what I normally feel like when I get up.

11021538_696573470453146_8437009207107910408_o.jpg
Go to 4 or 5 45 minute aqua exercise classes a week.
Eat healthy. Almost no meat, dairy, wheat or sugar. Make all my own sauces and condiments. Make almond milk and cashew cream as alternatives. I am a very good cook and we manage to have delicious meals without including these products. Eat porridge made of quinoa every morning with fruit compote and it is delicious.
My knees and ankles are shot too. I take glycosamine and find it very beneficial.

Last edited:
Cement masonry is a full body workout. You don't need a workout after finishing concrete all day. But I'm semi-retired now, so I end up working out more to stay in peak physical condition.

I'll do wind sprints, run the bleechers, push-ups, pull-ups, free weights etc. a few times a week. I also do a lot of physical activities with my wife.

I workout pretty much every day. I do strength training for 30 minutes and aerobics for 30 minutes. Sometimes I throw in something like belly dancing or some hip hop dancing! :) I took a hip hop class a few years back and that was a lot of fun. When I have some extra $$$, I might join a belly dancing class. I've been into that kind of stuff lately. Not only is it fun and sexy, but it's great exercise and really good to make your waist line small.

My sister-in-law drags me to hip hop from time to time. I am always the only guy attending. It is fun and I sweat a lot so it I don't care that I am only dude there. lol
Yeah, I go to exercise classes that are mostly female too. Now with my wife, but I used to do pilates and yoga on my own and did a fitness class where I was the only guy. Why would being the only guy in a room full of women bother me? Especially now that I do aqua classes in the pool.

The last month I have tried stretching and balancing exercises in the pool.

I can't measure the improvement by stats, but there is no question that I move more easily with greater balance and flexibility.

The last month I have tried stretching and balancing exercises in the pool.

I can't measure the improvement by stats, but there is no question that I move more easily with greater balance and flexibility.

That's good news, Jake! :up: Soon, you will be able to take the wife out dancing and impress her with your moves! Lol! :razz:

I run. A lot. I like the half-marathon distance. A full marathon, that's still way beyond me. I'm glad the weather is cooling off. Running in the heat is awful.

I tried a trail-run half-marathon on Saturday. Bad choice. Trail runs over steep broken terrain are for the hardcore. That's not me. I finished near the back of the pack at about 2:50, feeling and looking not unlike a shuffling zombie by the end of it.

Which means ... lose weight and train more, so I can do better at the next trail run! In the meantime, I've got a couple flat-ish terrain regular half-marathons coming up.

I run. A lot. I like the half-marathon distance. A full marathon, that's still way beyond me. I'm glad the weather is cooling off. Running in the heat is awful.

I tried a trail-run half-marathon on Saturday. Bad choice. Trail runs over steep broken terrain are for the hardcore. That's not me. I finished near the back of the pack at about 2:50, feeling and looking not unlike a shuffling zombie by the end of it.

Which means ... lose weight and train more, so I can do better at the next trail run! In the meantime, I've got a couple flat-ish terrain regular half-marathons coming up.

Good for you. I've thought about trying a half but my body is killing me after going nine, which is the furthest I've tried to date. If I run that far, I usually run at a slower pace, so I will run nine in about 80 minutes. I do enjoy running 5k's. They are fast and over with quick.

Good for you. I've thought about trying a half but my body is killing me after going nine, which is the furthest I've tried to date. If I run that far, I usually run at a slower pace, so I will run nine in about 80 minutes. I do enjoy running 5k's. They are fast and over with quick.
Trying something like this is amazing. Well done.

I wish I had more room in my house. I was looking at some home gym equipment the other day, and they have some really nice calisthenics machines but I don't have any room for anything like that!

I wish I had more room in my house. I was looking at some home gym equipment the other day, and they have some really nice calisthenics machines but I don't have any room for anything like that!
You might be better off without having some huge contraption taking up the whole room.

You might be better off without having some huge contraption taking up the whole room.

If I only had a spare room . . .
You're probably better off using free weights. When you are done working out you stack them up in a corner or in a closet. They don't take up a lot of space when you're not using them.

If I only had a spare room . . .
You're probably better off using free weights. When you are done working out you stack them up in a corner or in a closet. They don't take up a lot of space when you're not using them.

I have those now, but I really liked the machine. It has everything you need right there. Oh well. I don't have any place for it anyway, so it's a non issue.

66 y.o. Each week, I do...

3 workouts: weights, calisthenics, stretching, finished with 15 minutes of interval training (sta. Bike or treadmill)

2 hours of tennis doubles,

2 9-hole rounds of golf, walking,

2 full hour "power walks"

One half - hour run

Bowling, 3 games, twice.

Several short naps.

Forum List

Back