Exercise/diet motivation...

pacer

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2013
This is a thread for those who are trying to exercise and/or lose weight but cannot get motivated. We can use this thread to post what diet/exercise activities people are engaged in to help us keep fit and to support each other in our diet/exercise routine.

"...some of us who are really interested in making changes can post articles and ideas...and make support friends to PM privately when we need to have extra encouragement." (drifter)

I guess I'll start off the thread by posting this article which maybe helpful to some.

Get off your butt: 16 ways to get motivated when you're in a slump

Last edited:
Good idea for a thread. :thup:

I'm on the shy side of 60 and I'd like to hang around and watch the grandbabby grow up.
Right now I'm a physical washout. But I do love my whisky. :beer:

There are quite a few people here who have shared publicly the loss of a loved one this past year including me. ( my cousin, my dad, and my sister June 2013)

It's common to go through different stages of grief and to lose interest in things you used to enjoy.

I used to exercise 5 times a week and I ate healthy. After my sister died I basically quit eating right, quit exercising, slept alot watched netflix and posted online when not at school.

I am back to eating healthy, and I don't sleep all the time like I used to but the exercise still has not gone back to normal.

I found this article about exercise for people in grief since that's what I am dealing with. It may not resonate for everyone but for some it might.

When you are in a slump looking at the root cause of things helps, mine is grief.

How I Used Exercise to Help with Grief After My Fiance Died
Grief Can Actually Feel Less Devastating If You Exercise

A few years ago, my fiance died the day before our wedding. The day of the wedding, I had to deal with 200 out of town visitors in town for a wedding that didn't happen. The next few months passed in a bit of a daze until I realized, one day, I had gained a lot of weight. Grief tends to do that to you. You get so caught up in how you feel and what you've lost, you don't really take notice of anything else going on, and you certainly don't exercise. The problem is, when you're still in one of the stages of grief (I think I'd hit denial by then), it's really difficult to muster up any energy to do anything about it. But, some little voice in my head kept telling me I had to find the energy from somewhere and little by little I did. Exercise was finally the first thing I started to do to try to work my way through the stages of grief.
I was living in Ohio at the time and the weather had just started to turn a little warmer. I didn't want to join a gym to exercise as I certainly didn't feel like being around a lot of people. So, I started to walk around my neighborhood. When I first started out, fifteen minutes of slow walking was about all I could be bothered to do. Not a lot, and it certainly wasn't going to make me lose tons of weight but, with the fresh air and endorphins that kick in when you exercise, after a week I noticed my mood was lighter. After two weeks, I had increased my exercise time until I was walking 30 minutes about four times a week. My grief was still apparent but I did notice it didn't feel quite so sharp.

About a month into my new exercise program, my legs and arms were starting to tone up. At this point I also changed the food I was eating. I cut down on portions and tried to eat more fruit and vegetables and less simple carbohydrates. With the exercise and healthier foods, my mood felt much lighter and I was less depressed than before. Sure, I was still grieving (you don't get over your fiance' s death that quickly!), but the grief was more in the back of my mind than at the front, where it had been before. Sometimes, a few hours went by before I even thought about my fiance a huge improvement over the first few months of grieving where I thought about him almost every minute of every day.

How I Used Exercise to Help with Grief After My Fiance Died - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Exercise helps beat depression – that’s not just a theory, but scientific fact.

Many people think exercise involves grueling workouts or exhausting runs.

You’re not alone. Nearly everyone I have spoken to has experienced supreme difficulty exercising while depressed – although not one of these people ever reported feeling worse after a walk.

Exercise need not be intensive or exhausting. A study by Dr. Andrea Dunn found that patients who did the equivalent of 35 minutes’ walking, six days per week, experienced a reduction in their level of depression by 47 percent. This study, conducted at the Cooper Research Institute in Dallas, Texas, shows that as little as three hours of regular exercise a week reduces the symptoms of mild to moderate depression as effectively as Prozac and other antidepressants.

In addition, the proven benefits of exercise in treating or preventing depression extend to even moderate physical activity, such as gardening.

Aerobic exercise, in particular, improves blood flow and oxygen to the brain. It has the added benefit of releasing endorphins (natural feel-good chemicals) into the body.

Moderate physical activity produces risk-free benefits for people with depression. Unlike medication, there are no detrimental side-effects.

3 Ways to Beat Depression Through Exercise | World of Psychology

tumblr_mel5zttgh81qzwhb0o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mel5zttgh81qzwhb0o2_500.jpg

tumblr_muv73r0AIq1r2p50go1_500.jpg

thug kitchen on Tumblr

Last edited:
SNOWED IN ?

Mustering up the motivation to hit the gym mid-winter is hard enough. It’s freezing, it’s dark, and it’s not like you can exactly show off the early development of a four-pack under all that down and cashmere, anyway. Factor in the neverending Snowmageddon forecast, and you’re choosing repeat episodes of MTV’s Skins over Spandex until spring.

But as anyone who’s seen The Shining knows, cabin fever can bring out the unpleasant side in all of us. Weather reports be damned – sometimes you just need to move. So instead of sulking about snowed-in status, seize the opportunity to get creative with your workouts by bringing the gym to you. “If you’ve got a body, you’ve got your workout equipment,” according to personal trainer Kate Galliet, who put together a quick program of nine exercises for helping to staying in shape while staying indoors.

What you need:

9 Indoor Exercises for Working Out on a Snow Day | Blisstree

Last edited:
Why is exercise important for people on dialysis?

Exercise is important for people on dialysis because it promotes a healthier lifestyle. Exercise can help you in numerous ways. If you are overweight and your doctor suggests that you lose extra pounds, exercise – along with a lower-calorie, kidney-friendly diet – can help. You can also strengthen your muscles with exercise. One of the most important muscles to exercise is your heart. A healthy heart is important, because when you have kidney disease you are at risk for getting heart disease. Exercise can also reduce depression and help you feel happier.

Here are some ways you can benefit from exercise:
Improves digestion
Increases energy level
Improves quality of sleep
Lowers cholesterol levels
Reduces stress
Decreases risk for heart disease
Lowers blood pressure and blood sugar levels

Indoor Exercises for People on Dialysis - DaVita

This is a thread for those who are trying to exercise and/or lose weight but cannot get motivated. We can use this thread to post what diet/exercise activities people are engaged in to help us keep fit and to support each other in our diet/exercise routine.

"...some of us who are really interested in making changes can post articles and ideas...and make support friends to PM privately when we need to have extra encouragement." (drifter)

I guess I'll start off the thread by posting this article which maybe helpful to some.

Look at yourself naked in a large mirror every night for 3 minutes.

Count calories and fat calories and carbs. No more than 1500 calories a day for women and 2000 for men. Go light on fat, carbs, and gluten. You will start dropping weight right away and then start brisk walking every morning beginning with 5 minutes and working your way longer. Up to 20 minutes a day or 30 minutes every other day.

Weigh yourself naked every morning, after relieving yourself and before ingesting anything at all. Make sure the bathroom scales is in exactly the same place everyday, and the line marking the zero is in the center. ( this has always worked for me and some weight-loss experts agree and others don't. )

Every time you have a negative thought about something, look for the positive one. There is a positive and negative side to everything.

“There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.” – W. Clement Stone

Good luck and get going. :D

Try making nutritional drinks for your morning or afternoon meal. Really count calories, carbs and protein in the foods you eat.

Drink water, start slowly but build up to a good amount per day.

Start walking with a destination in mind. It's more motivating than wandering aimlessly. Let your goal be getting your heart rate up.

Set goals for getting work done in a day, if you don't, you'll find yourself drawn to the fridge or candy machines at work. Pack your lunch, btw.

I am not a fan of calorie counting or even weighing yourself. If it works, of course, then do it. But I think it can put people on a collision course of failure/sucess, like a sporting event. If my pants start getting tight, I know to back off the groceries. Fasting or skipping meals helps to regulate things. The less you eat the more your stomach shrinks, so it takes less to fill you up.

If you turn into a food Nazi I think you are also doomed to failure because eventually you will succumb to temptation. All things in moderation, a little junk food won't kill you. Making it a lifestyle will.

I eat healthy veggies almost every night and a fruit drink almost every morning. It's easy to do but easier if it's a habit. Avoid the frozen foods except on occasion. If you are really out of shape start walking. The more you do the easier it is.

Now where is that candybar?

Look at yourself naked in a large mirror every night for 3 minutes.

Count calories and fat calories and carbs. No more than 1500 calories a day for women and 2000 for men. Go light on fat, carbs, and gluten. You will start dropping weight right away and then start brisk walking every morning beginning with 5 minutes and working your way longer. Up to 20 minutes a day or 30 minutes every other day.

Weigh yourself naked every morning, after relieving yourself and before ingesting anything at all. Make sure the bathroom scales is in exactly the same place everyday, and the line marking the zero is in the center. ( this has always worked for me and some weight-loss experts agree and others don't. )

Every time you have a negative thought about something, look for the positive one. There is a positive and negative side to everything.

“There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.” – W. Clement Stone

Good luck and get going. :D
Thank you AquaAthena. Some very good tips. I joined a gym a couple of months ago at a community center. I went three times and haven't gone since. I need to get away from this computer and get back into a routine. Once the warmer weather comes, I won't be on here nearly as much. For now, I am working at Cheers exercising my creative energies. Pop in for a drink. My treat. :)

I am not a fan of calorie counting or even weighing yourself. If it works, of course, then do it. But I think it can put people on a collision course of failure/sucess, like a sporting event. If my pants start getting tight, I know to back off the groceries. Fasting or skipping meals helps to regulate things. The less you eat the more your stomach shrinks, so it takes less to fill you up.

If you turn into a food Nazi I think you are also doomed to failure because eventually you will succumb to temptation. All things in moderation, a little junk food won't kill you. Making it a lifestyle will.

I eat healthy veggies almost every night and a fruit drink almost every morning. It's easy to do but easier if it's a habit. Avoid the frozen foods except on occasion. If you are really out of shape start walking. The more you do the easier it is.

Now where is that candybar?

Thanks for sharing, since people put weight on differently or have different reasons they quit exercising then it stands to reason that losing weight and dieting,different exercises speak more to some and less to others.

Sharing whatever works for each of us may help someone else.

I don't weigh myself, typically if clothes aren't fitting correctly I know I better watch it.:lol:

I've been in a low level depression since my sister's suicide in June 2013, so I know why I quit doing exercise.I just need to get my motivation back.

Try making nutritional drinks for your morning or afternoon meal. Really count calories, carbs and protein in the foods you eat.

Drink water, start slowly but build up to a good amount per day.

Start walking with a destination in mind. It's more motivating than wandering aimlessly. Let your goal be getting your heart rate up.

Set goals for getting work done in a day, if you don't, you'll find yourself drawn to the fridge or candy machines at work. Pack your lunch, btw.

I love smoothies in the morning :)

I think the best motivation is early success. When I first started paleo two years ago I lost 11 pounds in a week just by removing grains and junk from my diet. That led me to remove other horrible things from my diet like fruit juices and to start exercising. After 5 months I'd lost 40 pounds and have kept it off ever since. Since then it's just become my lifestyle and no real motivation is necessary.

More exercise and a balanced diet is better than starving yourself out. Seriously. Though types of weight loss lead to disease and health problems. It's all about balance and each individual finds that differently.

I've learned that i need exercise and 5 smaller meals a day to maintain a good metabolism and lose unwanted weight. this plan, for me, actually increases energy which in turn, helps burn more calories.

I prefer exercising from a sport I enjoy than being a gym rat on a treadmill. Everyone is different though.

I am doing good on the eating part, and it's not really a diet I just eat at home and make fresh food. My partner wants me to go back to the gym like I used to, mainly because for a long time I was just sleeping and watching netflix and posting online when I was not at school. I guess there was concern about my mental state.

When I exercise I feel more positive mentally and I have more energy and sleep less.

Forum List

Back