E-cigs and their hidden danger

gnarlylove

Dec 6, 2013
Along the Ohio River
Just what the tobacco companies had hoped for in their new E-cig fad: swindle a new generation of smokers.

When an industry profits from sickness, you can be sure it will not serve society no matter how regulated it is.

'Drawn from two surveys of tens of thousands of American middle school and high school students, the research found that adolescents who tried battery-powered nicotine vaporizers were more likely to smoke tobacco cigarettes. And if the kids were already regular smokers when they experimented with “vaping,” they became less likely to quit. It’s evidence that e-cigarettes, as the authors say, are “aggravating rather than ameliorating the tobacco epidemic among youths.”'

E-Cigarettes Pose Real Risks to Teens - Businessweek

Hopefully Congress gets in gear to protect the vulnerable population, teens. Even if Congress puts an end to this in America, we can be sure the tobacco industry will continue marketing this in other countries to teens. Profit or people expressed yet again.

Senate Bill Would Ban E-Cigarette Marketing to Kids - Businessweek

Nicotine gum, lozenges, and patches have been available over the counter for at least 5 years.
Is there an epidemic of gum and patch addicts? What ARE the dangers of vaping other than hysterical
concerns about "the children"..

And WHAT TOBACCO companies are manufacturing e-cigs? And when are you gonna list the dangers of e-cigs?

FLC, if you think children should be exposed to addiction, you are just being antagonistic.

I am not saying e-cigs are inherently bad but the looseness with which they have hit the market has enabled people who would not smoke pick up the undeniably bad habit.

Your idea about more products to cure this problem is stupid (not you the person). I guess we should continue feeding the population fast food and pick up the sextoupled medical bills down the road. Your market logic is strikingly illogical from the point of view of efficiency, you know, the whole idea behind "economy."

If there was something inherently bad in smoking behavior then certainly pot smoking would figure in because it is the same smoking behavior. Vaping isn't inherently bad. It isn't even as bad as chewing gum. That at least has an effect on teeth. There is almost no chance of a teen who vapes moving to cigarettes any more than double mint leads to skoal. It's the same level of ridiculous. It looks like smoking that's what they don't like it looks like smoking and pot use IS smoking.

Here is the fact. A teen who vapes tuti fruiti or butter rum would find tobacco so vile they would not have a second puff. I know teens who vape, non smokers who vape and former smokers (like me) who vape. Not a single one of us is moved to cigarettes. Teens and non smokers who vape generally use non nicotine product. I use peppermint non nicotine product some of the time.

FLC, if you think children should be exposed to addiction, you are just being antagonistic.

I am not saying e-cigs are inherently bad but the looseness with which they have hit the market has enabled people who would not smoke pick up the undeniably bad habit.

Your idea about more products to cure this problem is stupid (not you the person). I guess we should continue feeding the population fast food and pick up the sextoupled medical bills down the road. Your market logic is strikingly illogical from the point of view of efficiency, you know, the whole idea behind "economy."

Kinda presumptive for you to think that you can stop me from eating at Arby's occasionally.
Or that offering adult products of ANY type is a devious ploy to attract minors. I've already told you that I've yet to read a single article suggesting that minors are using nicotine gum and lozenges as a stepping stone to cigarette addiction and since the major component of e-cigs is also extracted nicotine -- I don't really see a diff. Gonna be a REALLY hard sell for your principled lefty concerns in those states now selling legal marijuana.. But then again, your brand of left-thinking was never actually "liberal"..

Thanks for demonstrating that leftists like yourself THINK it's their responsibility to feed everyone a healthy diet in your own image.. Especially if you want to hide your dictatorial tendencies behind the market excuse of "efficiency". I'm still waiting on WHY e-cigs pose a danger.. Maybe it's there. But maybe it isn't...

kat, I notice you make assertions and pass them off as facts. namely, that kids won't get hooked any more than they would to skoal. That is in total contradiction to the two studies in the article I posted.

I should have figured people are more concerned about the health of the tobacco industry rather than the health of people.

Or maybe people are more interested in being "against" someone. If antagonism is the climate of US debate, then US debate is nothing more than slopsism. If you have no facts backing up your claim that kids don't get hooked, don't pass it off like it is a fact. No one is smart enough to just know something like that, they must be researched. Just like I have tried to provide.

Kinda presumptive for you to think that you can stop me from eating at Arby's occasionally.
Or that offering adult products of ANY type is a devious ploy to attract minors. I've already told you that I've yet to read a single article suggesting that minors are using nicotine gum and lozenges as a stepping stone to cigarette addiction and since the major component of e-cigs is also extracted nicotine -- I don't really see a diff. Gonna be a REALLY hard sell for your principled lefty concerns in those states now selling legal marijuana.. But then again, your brand of left-thinking was never actually "liberal"..

Thanks for demonstrating that leftists like yourself THINK it's their responsibility to feed everyone a healthy diet in your own image.. Especially if you want to hide your dictatorial tendencies behind the market excuse of "efficiency". I'm still waiting on WHY e-cigs pose a danger.. Maybe it's there. But maybe it isn't...

We should meet somewhere in KY to have an Arby's eat-off. Louisville? I hear the hard drugs are rampant there. Nothing better than an e-cig after a big shot of heroin in the main vein baby! Actually, I didn't even like cigs then.

But I will say I'm not telling the world to be healthy, that was genetically pre-determined. I'm not the one who came up with the "idea" cigs are unhealthy or that eating fast food 5 times a week is bad for hospital bills. That's the human body for ya, settin' limits and taking away my got-damn freedoms! I want a body that has no limits otherwise I cannot stand my body and will show it a thing or two by showing how "free" I am by abusing the hell out of it! Yeah, that approach makes a lot of sense if your hung up on freedom without constraint. But is freedom without constraint even realistic? Of course not.

If by reminding people of these pre-determined facts, I am somehow dictatorial, then your idea of freedom is way off base. Freedom is not exercised by ignoring reality and obvious causal relationships; freedom is exercised by striking a balance between what is pre-determined genetically and what is available in your area/budget.

E-cigs are far cooler to teens than chewing bad tasting gum. If you think e-cigs have the same appeal as gum or real cigs, then you are only thinking a priori. Get your head in the real world and then we can talk.

Last edited:
I've searched BOTH your links.. The Bizweek link ALLUDED to a study on e-cigs leading to tobacco addiction but had no citation.. Same with the 2nd link discussing simple FDA changes to put e-cigs under similiar restrictions as cigarettes (which I don't oppose IN PRINCIPLE)..

Show me the "science" that says kids ILLEGALLY sampling mint e-cigs graduate to Marlboros..
I tend to agree with Katz -- e-cigs would be FAR MORE attractive to kids than cigarettes ever were.

The studies are wrong. They want to pander to whatever hysteria is the flavor of the month. Ecigaretts have no tobacco in them they are not connected to the tobacco industry and nothing connected to e cigarettes is owned directly or indirectly to any cigarette maker or tobacco producer. Nothing would bankrupt. tobacco companies faster than Ecigaretts. They are the ones probably funding these silly studies.

I can see the government going crazy over Ecigarettes. They get a lot of money off tobacco and pot taxes. They have a vested interest in keeping people smoking just shift them from tobacco to the more heavily taxed marijuana. Ecigs would put a crimp in that gravy train.

"The studies are wrong" is plenty of evidence for me.

Your idea of "pandering to hysteria" is so tight an argument that nothing can penetrate your cerebral analysis. In fact, there is no human to ever have made such a strong case for anything that I want to recommend you for becoming a Rhodes Scholar. I know you were already a Rhodes once but I think you deserve round two for being so dang smart and self-confident!!

I wonder if your confidence can inspire me to believe anything I say? Like "Kat is completely full of shit"....no, I can't seem to pull it off with your striking confidence. How do you reach such certainty about reality without checking in with reality?

Last edited:
I've searched BOTH your links.. The Bizweek link ALLUDED to a study on e-cigs leading to tobacco addiction but had no citation.. Same with the 2nd link discussing simple FDA changes to put e-cigs under similiar restrictions as cigarettes (which I don't oppose IN PRINCIPLE)..

Show me the "science" that says kids ILLEGALLY sampling mint e-cigs graduate to Marlboros..
I tend to agree with Katz -- e-cigs would be FAR MORE attractive to kids than cigarettes ever were.
It's more than just being attractive. After using flavored "juice" a tobacco cigarette would be too vile. Like going from chewing gum to chewing tobacco. I used to be a very heavy smoker. I don't think I could tolerate tobacco smoke in my mouth today. I've met other former smokers who say the same thing.

The cool thing for kids though is they can look like they are vaping something when it's nothing. The liquid comes with nicotine or without it so there's nothing to get hooked on. No one knows what's in your vaporizer. There's no smell no matter what you choose.

"The studies are wrong" is plenty of evidence for me.

Your idea of "pandering to hysteria" is so tight an argument that nothing can penetrate your cerebral analysis. In fact, there is no human to ever have made such a strong case for anything that I want to recommend you for becoming a Rhodes Scholar. I know you were already a Rhodes once but I think you deserve round two for being so dang smart and self-confident!!

I wonder if your confidence can inspire me to believe anything I say? Like "Kat is completely full of shit"....no, I can't seem to pull it off with your striking confidence. How do you reach such certainty about reality without checking in with reality?

That was an excellent attempt to avoid admitting that tobacco and tobacco companies have nothing to do with Ecigarettes. Did you do that so you could keep up some fiction about the health of tobacco companies.

The studies are wrong. They want to pander to whatever hysteria is the flavor of the month. Ecigaretts have no tobacco in them they are not connected to the tobacco industry and nothing connected to e cigarettes is owned directly or indirectly to any cigarette maker or tobacco producer. Nothing would bankrupt. tobacco companies faster than Ecigaretts. They are the ones probably funding these silly studies.

I can see the government going crazy over Ecigarettes. They get a lot of money off tobacco and pot taxes. They have a vested interest in keeping people smoking just shift them from tobacco to the more heavily taxed marijuana. Ecigs would put a crimp in that gravy train.

You really need to do some research before you post. Big tobacco is investing into E-cigs, and given time, they will just buy up all the independents. As for the dangers, we won't know if there are any or not for at least twenty years. I'm just glad I quit completely and don't have to deal with it anymore.

Just what the tobacco companies had hoped for in their new E-cig fad: swindle a new generation of smokers.

When an industry profits from sickness, you can be sure it will not serve society no matter how regulated it is.

'Drawn from two surveys of tens of thousands of American middle school and high school students, the research found that adolescents who tried battery-powered nicotine vaporizers were more likely to smoke tobacco cigarettes. And if the kids were already regular smokers when they experimented with “vaping,” they became less likely to quit. It’s evidence that e-cigarettes, as the authors say, are “aggravating rather than ameliorating the tobacco epidemic among youths.”'

E-Cigarettes Pose Real Risks to Teens - Businessweek

Hopefully Congress gets in gear to protect the vulnerable population, teens. Even if Congress puts an end to this in America, we can be sure the tobacco industry will continue marketing this in other countries to teens. Profit or people expressed yet again.

Senate Bill Would Ban E-Cigarette Marketing to Kids - Businessweek

e-cig= bad harmful side effects
e-doobie = good no effects what so ever

i can hear it now

--LOL

The only way to get people to stop smoking is to ban all cigarettes entirely, world wide. It should be understood it is no different than making heroin illegal. They are both deathly and equally addictive drugs.

The only way to get people to stop smoking is to ban all cigarettes entirely, world wide. It should be understood it is no different than making heroin illegal. They are both deathly and equally addictive drugs.

I certainly have sympathy for this view. it's mainly a way to keep poor people poor, as many programs and schemes in the world.

Tobacco is actually more addictive than heroin. Since I've been a heroin junky, I can say nicotine does not have any merits. it's only justification is circular, once you become hooked, only then does it genuinely appeal to you.
NICOTINE - HARDER TO KICK...THAN HEROIN - NYTimes.com

Been warning against using any non-regulated vaporization tech since they hit the market. Not only are they actually blowing up now, but they use chemicals with no governmental oversight or quality-control. So G-d only knows what you're actually inhaling. Never rush to try the latest thing, let some other poor suckers beta test. Until something's got a decade or so of use to look at figures for, use something else that already has been around a while.

Smoking quality tobaccos (minus pretty much every ciggarette not being only the tobacco) is safe enough. The anti-smoking groups want you to believe if you don't smoke you'll live forever. No not really, you'll just die from something else. Plus they misrepresent the causation aspect with distortions like "Smoking causes cancer." That's not true at all, and according to CDC figures only 40% of lung cancers are attributed to smoking. If 'smoking causes cancer' were actually true, then every smoker would develop cancer. Not every smoker does. Thus the assertion is false.

Is smoking healthy? No. Inhalation of any burning particulate matter isn't ever going to be 'healthy.' But at the same time it's not as unhealthy as they'd like you to believe. Just as we're discovering the medical benefits of marijuana after decades of being lied to and told it's harmful, smoking pure tobacco too has benefits. But mixing that with cigs and other chemically treated products is unfortunately the only way most people think about smoking. As ever, consider the source. Who says smoking causes cancer? The government? Is that the same government that swore up and down marijuana caused insanity and there are WMDs in Iraq? :)

Marijuana has come from Mexico and we all know Mexicans are dirty, therefore ban marijuana! This was the logic in 1940s, it remains today because of gullible people. There are real benefits and 40% of pot sales in CO are not smokable, i.e. edibles. Having been a major 'beta-tester' for MJ, I can assure it has addictive qualities; however, it can be dusted off your shoulder in a matter of 2-4 days with mild irritability and no physical symptoms. Much more mild than a caffeine habit and no headaches. That's only if you smoke an ounce or more a month. If you toke twice in the evening, there are no addictive effects.

Tobacco is a tax on poor people who accidentally picked up a habit they wish they didn't have. It can cost thousands a year. There isn't a smoker out there who wishes they were addicted. I'd know since my community is a bunch of smokers in KY, the cheapest backy in the world.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back