Excellent Street Bible Discussion, Insane Bible Thumpers Get PWND

Do you think the authorities handled it right by playing loud rock music and driving tanks around David Koresh's compound and playing into his hand by making his followers believe it was the end of the world? How they handled it showed that they have no understanding on how to handle a crisis. They invited the crisis and strengthened the cult leader. They should have just played it cool and picked him up on the street.

In this case, weapons didn't prove who was right but who was dead and who was dumb.

I've found it a little creepy just how many cults have been spawned by Christianity.

And how many bad guys does atheism have and how is Communism doing today?

A ‘militant’ atheist will debate in a University theatre or appeal for the separation of religion and government. A militant theist will kill doctors, stone women to death, incite religious war, restrict sexual and gender equality and convince children they are flawed and worthless – all under the instruction of their imagined ‘god’ or holy book.

It can be argued that there is no such thing as a ‘militant’ atheist, that the term is itself a misnomer, because there is simply no ideology or philosophy in atheism to be militant about. If an atheist is someone who lacks belief in gods, then a ‘militant’ atheist is apparently someone who passionately lacks a belief in gods. All other possible beliefs and ideologies – including any desire to oppress theism – come from outside atheism. This is in contrast to religious belief, which often includes a set of laws and commandments purportedly derived from a supernatural source about which one can be ‘militant’.

Yeah, they're called "militant" because they're so intelligent and logical.

That's the ticket.

"They claim that ‘repeated surveys, polls and studies show that most of us as individuals are not Christian in our beliefs or our religious identities’, and suggest that Mr Cameron is in danger of fuelling ‘enervating sectarian debates’.
"...Mr Cameron’s declaration that we live in a ‘Christian country’ is irrefutable. Our constitutional arrangements are bound up with the Anglican Church — a fact dismissed by the angry letter-writers as being of little importance.

"According to the comprehensive 2011 census, very nearly 60 per cent of the population in England and Wales describe themselves as Christian."

Read more: This new breed of militant atheists are as intolerant as any religious fundamentalists | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Why don't you tell us?

Just keep in mind that your attempt to excuse the horrors of Christianity with attempted comparisons to atheism and communism are not valid. Neither atheism nor communism are belief systems. Christianity has been no less violent and destructive due the presence or absence of the political ideologies of communism/Marxism.

Why do Christians so often hope to excuse the damages caused by Christianity with the "but hey, look over there and see what communism has done", comparisons.

Surely bad things were done in the name of Christ but God is going to separate the sheep from the goats an there may be a lot of goats that used the name of Christ who are going to hell. So what you believe about Christianity may not be representative of what you think it might be.

Firstly, what I believe about christianity derives from the history of christianity. That history is not a pretty picture.

What a shame one or more of the gods couldn't have stepped in to prevent the horrors committed in their name. Similarly, there's no reason to believe that any of the gods will punish in some asserted afterlife those he didn't punish in their corporeal lives.

It's not pleasant to think there's no "ultimate justice" out there. It sucks to realize that a dead Hitler or Mao or Stalin, etc., are pretty much beyond suffering for their cruelties. But it's the truth. And we need the truth to function properly, to explore, and learn. It's much harder to face truth coldly. It's far easier to believe in a loving father figure who will reward us (or p u n i s h us) based upon our understanding of a bunch of ancient rules written in the desert somewhere.

Billions make no effort to examine their religious beliefs, they simply have them, make token nods to them, appeal to them in the hope of dying sooner, rather than later to gain spiritual and carnal rewards and cling to them when they die for comfort. Nothing difficult in that.

Firstly, is your understanding of history on a par with your understanding of English, hollie?

Because if so, you will understand why I laugh at you...

Or perhaps not.

Firstly, is your understanding of history on a par with your understanding of English, hollie?

Because if so, you will understand why I laugh at you...

Or perhaps not.

It's always comedy gold when stumble over yourself trying to form words into coherent sentences.

Uh huh. I'm known for my lack of skill with the language.

Really. Everybody says so.

Dolt.

I've found it a little creepy just how many cults have been spawned by Christianity.

Why don't you tell us?

Just keep in mind that your attempt to excuse the horrors of Christianity with attempted comparisons to atheism and communism are not valid. Neither atheism nor communism are belief systems. Christianity has been no less violent and destructive due the presence or absence of the political ideologies of communism/Marxism.

Why do Christians so often hope to excuse the damages caused by Christianity with the "but hey, look over there and see what communism has done", comparisons.

I still have to take issue with what you said.

Atheism is a belief system. Agnosticism says they don't know if God exists. Atheism is a profession of omniscience that the Atheist knows God doesn't exist so therefore there is belief.

Uh huh. I'm known for my lack of skill with the language.

Really. Everybody says so.

Dolt.

It is clear that you and a thought process, (antagonistic for self-haters), making their way into coherent sentences is a rare thing, indeed.

Why don't you tell us?

Atheism is a belief system. Agnosticism says they don't know if God exists. Atheism is a profession of omniscience that the Atheist knows God doesn't exist so therefore there is belief.

Atheism is not a belief system but a conclusion, at least for me.

I conclude atheism simply because the paradigms offered by theists do not hold together for me (it really isn't any more complicated or diabolical than that)-- they are fatally flawed for one reason or another. For instance, the assertion that creation "clearly is evidence of gods" ignores that "creation" and "nature" are indistinguishable in that sense, and if they are indistinguishable, no assertion that they are "created" holds value. This is the "coming upon a watch in the woods" paradigm, which ignores the fact that-- I know it is a watch because it is clearly and quantitatively different from a natural object.

Please Identify a single thing, object, occurrence or event in nature that is "un-natural" or shows unmistakeable evidence of supernatural creation.

Who wants to teach me Hebrew? :)

its a real pain in the butt.....Biblical Hebrew has no printed vowels, no punctuation and no spaces between words.....
hebrew-bible.jpg

What would be best source to learn it from? Online, books, classes, etc?

Someone recommended a course to me for someone else. It might take me some hours to find it.

That's the ticket.

"They claim that ‘repeated surveys, polls and studies show that most of us as individuals are not Christian in our beliefs or our religious identities’, and suggest that Mr Cameron is in danger of fuelling ‘enervating sectarian debates’.
"...Mr Cameron’s declaration that we live in a ‘Christian country’ is irrefutable. Our constitutional arrangements are bound up with the Anglican Church — a fact dismissed by the angry letter-writers as being of little importance.

"According to the comprehensive 2011 census, very nearly 60 per cent of the population in England and Wales describe themselves as Christian."

Read more: This new breed of militant atheists are as intolerant as any religious fundamentalists | Mail Online

I've come to realize after getting to know more and more jewish people that jewish people are the least moral/religious of all the religions. It's almost the religion for people who aren't really religious.

They don't call out the christian faith for being bullshit because they don't want the christians to call them out. Christianity is basically a spin off. Instead of All in the Family we have Archie's Place. Similar but different. You guys don't even call out the muslims and mormons because the same reasons they are bullshit, so are you. At how many members do you stop being a cult and become an official religion? And if born agains say catholics are going to hell, shouldn't catholics be safe and become born agains? Or what if the mormons are right and god told Joseph Smith basically the same thing I'm telling you, which is all the organized religions are bullshit. Only difference between me and Joseph Smith is I'm not starting a new religion. :cuckoo:

Why don't you tell us?

Atheism is simply a lack of belief in a god or gods, nothing more. It is not a positive belief or a claim to knowledge. Instead, it is the default position of doubt, uncertainty and skepticism one may have regarding any unbelievable or unprovable claims made by theists. Just as it takes no faith to lack belief in the boogy man or ghosts, it takes none to doubt the existence of a god or gods.

Every human-being ever born begins life as an implicit atheist and must be taught the concept of theism or, more commonly, indoctrinated with it.

Atheism has no sacred texts, objects, places or times, no rituals or creation stories, no positive beliefs, central tenants, modes of worship or supernatural claims, no implicit or derived moral codes, philosophies or world views and no central organization or church. It fulfills none of the criteria that define a religion.

Why don't you tell us?

Surely bad things were done in the name of Christ but God is going to separate the sheep from the goats an there may be a lot of goats that used the name of Christ who are going to hell. So what you believe about Christianity may not be representative of what you think it might be.

Firstly, what I believe about christianity derives from the history of christianity. That history is not a pretty picture.

What a shame one or more of the gods couldn't have stepped in to prevent the horrors committed in their name. Similarly, there's no reason to believe that any of the gods will punish in some asserted afterlife those he didn't punish in their corporeal lives.

It's not pleasant to think there's no "ultimate justice" out there. It sucks to realize that a dead Hitler or Mao or Stalin, etc., are pretty much beyond suffering for their cruelties. But it's the truth. And we need the truth to function properly, to explore, and learn. It's much harder to face truth coldly. It's far easier to believe in a loving father figure who will reward us (or p u n i s h us) based upon our understanding of a bunch of ancient rules written in the desert somewhere.

Billions make no effort to examine their religious beliefs, they simply have them, make token nods to them, appeal to them in the hope of dying sooner, rather than later to gain spiritual and carnal rewards and cling to them when they die for comfort. Nothing difficult in that.

Smart woman.

That's the ticket.

I've come to realize after getting to know more and more jewish people that jewish people are the least moral/religious of all the religions. It's almost the religion for people who aren't really religious.

They don't call out the christian faith for being bullshit because they don't want the christians to call them out. Christianity is basically a spin off. Instead of All in the Family we have Archie's Place. Similar but different. You guys don't even call out the muslims and mormons because the same reasons they are bullshit, so are you. At how many members do you stop being a cult and become an official religion? And if born agains say catholics are going to hell, shouldn't catholics be safe and become born agains? Or what if the mormons are right and god told Joseph Smith basically the same thing I'm telling you, which is all the organized religions are bullshit. Only difference between me and Joseph Smith is I'm not starting a new religion. :cuckoo:

Christianity is not about being religious.
Christianity is about knowing God.

I do know a Jewish family that believes and they are firm believers in God. I almost wish they were my brothers and sisters so I'll pray for them.

Do you know how God treated unauthorized worship in the Old Testament? Just because people are religious doesn't mean their worship is authorized.

What happened when Nadab and Abihu died? No one was even allowed to mourn for them.

Who were Nadab and Abihu?

So let us proceed to the present.

Jude 1:3 ¶ Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

The faith was once delivered. Think this through. Where was Mormonism before Joseph Smith in the 1800's? Why does the Book of Mormon plagiarize the 1611 King James Bible?

If Christianity was once delivered and if Jude tells believers to fight for the faith that was once delivered then can you possibly see Mormonism as an add-on?

Since it is an add-on, it is unauthorized like Nadab and Abihu.
What do you think God is going to do with them?

That's the ticket.

Christianity is not about being religious.
Christianity is about knowing God.

I do know a Jewish family that believes and they are firm believers in God. I almost wish they were my brothers and sisters so I'll pray for them.

Do you know how God treated unauthorized worship in the Old Testament? Just because people are religious doesn't mean their worship is authorized.

What happened when Nadab and Abihu died? No one was even allowed to mourn for them.

Who were Nadab and Abihu?

So let us proceed to the present.

Jude 1:3 ¶ Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

The faith was once delivered. Think this through. Where was Mormonism before Joseph Smith in the 1800's? Why does the Book of Mormon plagiarize the 1611 King James Bible?

If Christianity was once delivered and if Jude tells believers to fight for the faith that was once delivered then can you possibly see Mormonism as an add-on?

Since it is an add-on, it is unauthorized like Nadab and Abihu.
What do you think God is going to do with them?

Think this through. Christianity is a knock off of ancient Pagen religions.

So if you ask where was god before Mormons, where was god before the jewish religion was invented by man? Before the jews the Pagens were sure they had it right. And the Christian religion just stole from older religions.

Many early Christians celebrated Jesus' birthday on JAN-6. Armenian Christians still do. In Alexandria, in what is now Egypt, the birthday of their god-man, Aion, was also celebrated on JAN-6.
Christians and most Pagans eventually celebrated the birthday of their god-man on DEC-25.
According to an ancient Christian tradition, Christ died on MAR-23 and resurrected on MAR-25. These dates agree precisely with the death and resurrection of Attis.
Baptism was a principal ritual; it washed away a person's sins. In some rituals, Baptism was performed by sprinkling holy water on the believer; in others, the person was totally immersed.
The most important sacrament was a ritual meal of bread and wine which symbolize the god-man's body and blood. His followers were accused of engaging in cannibalism.
Early Christians initiated converts in March and April by baptism. Mithraism initiated their new members at this time as well.
Early Christians were naked when they were baptized. After immersion, they then put on white clothing and a crown. They carried a candle and walked in a procession to a basilica. Followers of Mithra were also baptized naked, put on white clothing and a crown, and walked in a procession to the temple. However, they carried torches.
At Pentecost, the followers of Jesus were recorded as speaking in tongues. At Trophonius and Delos, the Pagan priestesses also spoke in tongues: They appeared to speak in such a way that each person present heard her words in the observer's own language.
An inscription to Mithras reads: "He who will not eat of my body and drink of my blood, so that he will be made on with me and I with him, the same shall not know salvation." 1 In John 6:53-54, Jesus is said to have repeated this theme: "...Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
The Bible records that Jesus was crucified between two thieves. One went to heaven and the other to hell. In the Mithras mysteries, a common image showed Mithras flanked by two torchbearers, one on either side. One held a torch pointed upwards, the other downwards. This symbolized ascent to heaven or descent to hell.
In Attis, a bull was slaughtered while on a perforated platform. The animal's blood flowed down over an initiate who stood in a pit under the platform. The believer was then considered to have been "born again." Poor people could only afford a sheep, and so were literally washed in the blood of the lamb. This practice was interpreted symbolically by Christians.
There were many additional points of similarity between Mithraism and Christianity. 2 St. Augustine even declared that the priests of Mithraism worshiped the same God as he did:
Followers of both religions celebrated a ritual meal involving bread. It was called a missa in Latin or mass in English.
Both the Catholic church and Mithraism had a total of seven sacraments.
Epiphany, JAN-6, was originally the festival in which the followers of Mithra celebrated the visit of the Magi to their newborn god-man. The Christian Church took it over in the 9th century.

Actually, there's no evidence at all that Christian is a knock off of paganism.

We know exactly where Christianity came from. It came from Christ, who descended from David.

The rest of your gibberish is fun fairy tale material, but has nothing to do with historical fact or even wide spread understanding. It's just your own little brand of "I have this all figured out".

My extremely religious jewish friend who's a jew for jesus was telling us how his sister gave him shit because he didn't do very much for his mother in her final years. I told him his sister was right and why didn't he do more and he just blew it off. Some religious guy he is, huh? He's so sure about heaven and hell.

I'll tell you what. He probably thinks he's going to hell for how he didn't take care of his mother in the end. Stuck his sister with the responsibility. What a christian. But christianity is great because you can be a total dick and still go to heaven. It absolves christians from having to be good people. They can be dicks every week and just say sorry on Sunday and as long as they buy in to the fairy tale and put $ in the collection plate they have a seat in heaven. :cuckoo::eusa_liar:

We know exactly where Christianity came from. It came from Christ, who descended from David.

The rest of your gibberish is fun fairy tale material, but has nothing to do with historical fact or even wide spread understanding. It's just your own little brand of "I have this all figured out".

What about the similarities? They don't strike you as odd?

And how do you know Jesus Christ even existed? You say it as fact but the fact is this story was told by 11 guys. Jewish records don't have a record of jesus. To everyone but 11 men he was a small cult leader, a trouble maker. I don't know how the story spread but there is no evidence the stories in the bible are true. The Mormon and Muslim religions spread too that doesn't mean they are true, even though their followers believe just as strongly as you.

And his name isn't even Jesus Christ for Christ sake! Yeshua is his name. Jesus Christ you are brainwashed.

What about the similarities? They don't strike you as odd?

And how do you know Jesus Christ even existed? You say it as fact but the fact is this story was told by 11 guys. Jewish records don't have a record of jesus. To everyone but 11 men he was a small cult leader, a trouble maker. I don't know how the story spread but there is no evidence the stories in the bible are true. The Mormon and Muslim religions spread too that doesn't mean they are true, even though their followers believe just as strongly as you.

And his name isn't even Jesus Christ for Christ sake! Yeshua is his name. Jesus Christ you are brainwashed.

1. Most credible historians don't doubt that Jesus was an actual person. There is more evidence for His existence than there is for many historical figures we take for granted as having been actual persons.
2. Christ is His title, not part of His name.
3. There is a lot of evidence that the Gospels are accurate representations of His life, death and resurrection.

Forum List

Back