Ex-Ohio National Guardsman sentenced to 6 years after creating ghost guns, antisemitic threats

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
I gotta ask..how does one engage in multiple felonies while at the same time posting things on social media that are guaranteed to draw attention to them--and expect not to get caught?

An ex-corporal with the Ohio Army National Guard was sentenced Tuesday to nearly six years in prison after authorities said he created ghost guns and made antisemitic and violent statements online while employed to provide security services at synagogues and Jewish schools.
Thomas Develin, 25, of Columbus, was sentenced Tuesday at U.S. District Court in Columbus to five years and 11 months in prison on federal weapons counts, online court records show.
Later that day, DeVelin appeared a few blocks away in Franklin County Common Pleas Court and pleaded guilty to different charges: two counts of making terroristic threats and one count of attempted illegal manufacturing or possession of explosives.
In October, Develin pleaded guilty to the crimes and admitted in a plea agreement he created ghost guns to sell for profit. He also made and possessed homemade conversion devices to convert semi-automatic AR-15 rifles and Glock-type pistols into fully automatic machine guns, court records in the U.S. Attorney’s Office Southern District of Ohio show. Develin admitted he made and sold firearms that he knew were illegal.
Court records show Develin advertised online he possessed and was selling 3D-printed sears, which are devices designed to convert AR-type rifles into fully automatic rifles. Devices that are intended to convert semiautomatic firearms into fully automatic firearms are considered machine guns under federal law, according to an October release from the attorney's office. Other messages on Develin’s phone said he created a two-handed firearm with an overall length under 26 inches, which is illegal.
Agents discovered night vision goggles, ballistic plates, a ballistic helmet, first aid equipment, and a large quantity of ammunition including several loaded magazines in Develin's vehicle on March 31, 2022, the day he was arrested.
Among other threats he made in a private online group chat filled with other Ohio Guardsmen, DeVelin posted multiple times about his desire to shoot up a Columbus Jewish school and two synagogues where he worked as a security guard, according to court documents in the federal case against DeVelin.
A post at a synagogue where Develin worked security at the time suggested he might join in if there were an active shooter there, according to an Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives affidavit in the federal case. In others, he said he would start shooting at a Jewish school or called for violence against Black people and women.
U.S. District Court Judge Sarah D. Morrison said during the sentencing hearing that DeVelin has not disavowed the hatred he expressed in his online posts about killing Jews or others. He just said he would not have acted on his ideas, the judge said.
Morrison said DeVelin has downplayed his messages as "private," "funny," and how he "dealt with stress."

"(I have heard) nothing indicating that it wasn't Mr. DeVelin's true beliefs. It's very very concerning," Morrison said while sentencing him.

So where were the "ghost guns", 3D-printed sears, conversion devices, and witnesses he supposedly sold those to? How is admitting to a crime a proof of guilt, without evidence? The DOJ's report also says that the day Develin was arrested, agents discovered in his vehicle: night vision goggles, ballistic plates, a ballistic helmet, first aid equipment and a large quantity of ammunition including several loaded magazines, as well as more than 25 firearms in Develin’s residence and vehicle. None of those things are really illegal, and I see nothing in the report that states agents found the illegal items the suspect admitted to.

I could claim I pissed in Biden's oatmeal. But unless someone could prove that I did, I'd still be innocent.

Didn't he have a life outside of the Guard? Why is his part time service in the Guard so important to the story? Internet rants against Jews? Is that even a crime? Somethin ain't right in this story. Was he an FBI informant?
Errr...if you read the OP..he was manufacturing ghost guns..and kits to convert guns to full auto. He was not charged with making rants...but they were seen as a red flag. I suspect he was informed on..otherwise how did they know to look at him..which is my point. The fact that he was a security guard at a synagogue is disturbing, I would think..as was his 'go kit' of ballistic armor and night vision goggles in his car.
All in all....a good catch by the police, IMO.
He must have a good lawyer though..6 years is a gift.

Errr...if you read the OP..he was manufacturing ghost guns..and kits to convert guns to full auto. He was not charged with making rants...but they were seen as a red flag. I suspect he was informed on..otherwise how did they know to look at him..which is my point. The fact that he was a security guard at a synagogue is disturbing, I would think..as was his 'go kit' of ballistic armor and night vision goggles in his car.

No. According to the DOJ report, he claimed to be making ghost guns, as well as other things.

Yet none of those things were mentioned in the list of things they found when he was arrested.

So where were the "ghost guns", 3D-printed sears, conversion devices, and witnesses he supposedly sold those to? How is admitting to a crime a proof of guilt, without evidence? The DOJ's report also says that the day Develin was arrested, agents discovered in his vehicle: night vision goggles, ballistic plates, a ballistic helmet, first aid equipment and a large quantity of ammunition including several loaded magazines, as well as more than 25 firearms in Develin’s residence and vehicle. None of those things are really illegal, and I see nothing in the report that states agents found the illegal items the suspect admitted to.

I could claim I pissed in Biden's oatmeal. But unless someone could prove that I did, I'd still be innocent.
Not if it were a crime..and you pled guilty in court. Then you're guilty.
Do you really think that the public has the right to view all the evidence..after a defendant has pled guilty...why? Other than prurient curiosity, there really is no point.

BTW..who is to say that those 25 guns found were not one and all illegal? They could have been ghost guns...or illegally altered. After all..they did get him to plead guilty to possession.

Last edited:
No. According to the DOJ report, he claimed to be making ghost guns, as well as other things.

Yet none of those things were mentioned in the list of things they found when he was arrested.

Agents discovered more than 25 firearms in Develin’s residence and vehicle while executing search warrants in March and April 2022. They also discovered two IED manuals.
Develin admitted in his plea agreement that in late March 2022, he knew law enforcement may be coming for him so he went to the property surrounding the cabin of a person he knew to hide and burn illegal firearms parts. In text messages with another person, Develin also discussed hiding and destroying incriminating evidence. Develin admitted he took these acts with the intent to obstruct the investigation.
The defendant has been charged in the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas with various crimes, including making terroristic threats. Those charges remain pending.

Illegally making firearms and unlawfully engaging in the business of manufacturing and dealing machine guns are federal crimes punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Manufacturing and dealing any firearms without a license are punishable by up to five years in prison.

Not if it were a crime..and you pled guilty in court. Then you're guilty.
Do you really think that the public has the right to view all the evidence..after a defendant has pled guilty...why? Other than prurient curiosity, there really is no point.

Then they had no case, other than what he admitted to in order to accept a plea bargain. The hate speech charges were probably documented, and he took a plea deal to avoid those.

Then they had no case, other than what he admitted to in order to accept a plea bargain. The hate speech charges were probably documented, and he took a plea deal to avoid those.
Have it your way..although I doubt it..the fact is that he's doing 6 years....and that works for me. I don't think that there are any 'hate speech' charges...for blathering on online..if there were this would be a very quiet forum~
I suspect the plea deal was to avoid the terrorism charges waiting in the wings

The post title indicates that he was charged with antisemitic threats. Is it assumed that night vision goggles in the possession of a security guard are evidence of a mass murder conspiracy? Are 3d printed gun sears illegal? It sounds like this guy was hooked and reeled in by the same (ATF) agency that shipped over 3,000 illegal weapons to Mexican drug cartels during the Obama admin.

The post title indicates that he was charged with antisemitic threats. Is it assumed that night vision goggles in the possession of a security guard are evidence of a mass murder conspiracy? Are 3d printed gun sears illegal? It sounds like this guy was hooked and reeled in by the same (ATF) agency that shipped over 3,000 illegal weapons to Mexican drug cartels during the Obama admin.
No..the title does not say he was charged with making anti-Semitic threats. I gotta laugh at the last sentence..as if that has anything at all to do with the topic.
Nobody has alleged a 'mass-murder' conspiracy...although any sane person would be troubled at the totality of what this guys was saying..and what he admits he was doing...the physical evidence..I note you forgot to mention the body armor and all the rest.
I note that you feel impelled to defend this low-life even after he has admitted to what he was accused of. How does that work?
Oh..and yes..3-D gun sears are illegal..when you advertise them for sale on-line as a part to convert a semi-auto to a full-auto.

Agents discovered more than 25 firearms in Develin’s residence and vehicle while executing search warrants in March and April 2022. They also discovered two IED manuals.
Develin admitted in his plea agreement that in late March 2022, he knew law enforcement may be coming for him so he went to the property surrounding the cabin of a person he knew to hide and burn illegal firearms parts. In text messages with another person, Develin also discussed hiding and destroying incriminating evidence. Develin admitted he took these acts with the intent to obstruct the investigation.
The defendant has been charged in the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas with various crimes, including making terroristic threats. Those charges remain pending.

Illegally making firearms and unlawfully engaging in the business of manufacturing and dealing machine guns are federal crimes punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Manufacturing and dealing any firearms without a license are punishable by up to five years in prison.

All gun crimes by admission, with no actual evidence. No article I could find even mentions him being arrested with those illegal items, except for a picture of a handgun "alleged" to have been modified. The picture was probably posted to social media by the suspect. The articles also state that the agents found 25 guns in his possession, not 25 "ghost guns."

Ex-Guardsman gets total 6 years for mass shooting threats, illegal gun sales

Ex-Ohio National Guardsman sentenced to 6 years after creating ghost guns, antisemitic threats

This article states that agents found a 3-D printer in his apartment, not illegal. Develin admitted he went to a cabin that reportedly belonged to Meade in Chesterhill, Ohio, to hide multiple ghost guns, a bump stock, an unfinished firearm frame, and a Military Improvised Explosive Devices instruction manual. The military IED instruction manual can be bought online, no biggie. But the agents reported recovering items burned in a fire pit at a cabin he did not own, as well as four firearms with no serial numbers, firearms parts and accessories, a Glock firearm barrel with a serial number, two improvised munitions handbooks, and one firearm magazine.

The Discord Group of Terroristic Ohio National Guardsmen Should Be A Bigger Story

Firearms parts and accessories, Glock barrels improvised munitions handbooks (reloading manuals), and firearm magazine are all perfectly legal. So are manufacturing your own firearms, as long as you don't intend to sell them. And those self-manufactured firearms are not really legally-obligated to even have a serial number.

From the BATF's own website:

Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use?​

No, a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use. However, a license is required to manufacture firearms for sale or distribution. The law prohibits a person from assembling a non–sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as well as firearms that cannot be detected by metal detectors or x–ray machines. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.
[18 U.S.C. 922(o), (p) and (r); 26 U.S.C. 5822; 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Last edited:
No..the title does not say he was charged with making anti-Semitic threats. I gotta laugh at the last sentence..as if that has anything at all to do with the topic.
Nobody has alleged a 'mass-murder' conspiracy...although any sane person would be troubled at the totality of what this guys was saying..and what he admits he was doing...the physical evidence..I note you forgot to mention the body armor and all the rest.
I note that you feel impelled to defend this low-life even after he has admitted to what he was accused of. How does that work?
Oh..and yes..3-D gun sears are illegal..when you advertise them for sale on-line as a part to convert a semi-auto to a full-auto.

Agents did not find and 3D printed gun sears when they searched his apartment or the burn pit at his friend's cabin. He was convicted only by his admission.

There was however, evidence of his anti-Semitic speech on social media.

The Discord Group of Terroristic Ohio National Guardsmen Should Be A Bigger Story

An ex-corporal with the Ohio Army National Guard was sentenced Tuesday to nearly six years in prison after authorities said he created ghost guns and made antisemitic and violent statements online while employed to provide security services at synagogues and Jewish schools.
Lets look at the hanging implications found in this story....

Neither of these things, on their face, are illegal.
In October, Develin pleaded guilty to the crimes and admitted in a plea agreement he created ghost guns to sell for profit. He also made and possessed homemade conversion devices to convert semi-automatic AR-15 rifles and Glock-type pistols into fully automatic machine guns,
Now, that -is- illegal.
And it cannot be stopped.
3d printer go brrrrrrrrrrrr....
Other messages on Develin’s phone said he created a two-handed firearm with an overall length under 26 inches, which is illegal.
Its not. You fill out a ATF form 1, pay the tax. and register it as a SBR/SBS.
Agents discovered night vision goggles, ballistic plates, a ballistic helmet, first aid equipment, and a large quantity of ammunition including several loaded magazines in Develin's vehicle on March 31, 2022, the day he was arrested.
Not illegal.
U.S. District Court Judge Sarah D. Morrison said during the sentencing hearing that DeVelin has not disavowed the hatred he expressed in his online posts about killing Jews or others. He just said he would not have acted on his ideas, the judge said.
It's not illegal to hate; it's not inherently illegal to express hate.
It -might- be illegal to act on the hate you express.

Err... so they say...

I gotta ask..how does one engage in multiple felonies while at the same time posting things on social media that are guaranteed to draw attention to them--and expect not to get caught?

Thomas Develin, 25, of Columbus, was sentenced Tuesday at U.S. District Court in Columbus to five years and 11 months in prison on federal weapons counts, online court records show.
Later that day, DeVelin appeared a few blocks away in Franklin County Common Pleas Court and pleaded guilty to different charges: two counts of making terroristic threats and one count of attempted illegal manufacturing or possession of explosives.
In October, Develin pleaded guilty to the crimes and admitted in a plea agreement he created ghost guns to sell for profit. He also made and possessed homemade conversion devices to convert semi-automatic AR-15 rifles and Glock-type pistols into fully automatic machine guns, court records in the U.S. Attorney’s Office Southern District of Ohio show. Develin admitted he made and sold firearms that he knew were illegal.
Court records show Develin advertised online he possessed and was selling 3D-printed sears, which are devices designed to convert AR-type rifles into fully automatic rifles. Devices that are intended to convert semiautomatic firearms into fully automatic firearms are considered machine guns under federal law, according to an October release from the attorney's office. Other messages on Develin’s phone said he created a two-handed firearm with an overall length under 26 inches, which is illegal.
Among other threats he made in a private online group chat filled with other Ohio Guardsmen, DeVelin posted multiple times about his desire to shoot up a Columbus Jewish school and two synagogues where he worked as a security guard, according to court documents in the federal case against DeVelin.
A post at a synagogue where Develin worked security at the time suggested he might join in if there were an active shooter there, according to an Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives affidavit in the federal case. In others, he said he would start shooting at a Jewish school or called for violence against Black people and women.
Morrison said DeVelin has downplayed his messages as "private," "funny," and how he "dealt with stress."

"(I have heard) nothing indicating that it wasn't Mr. DeVelin's true beliefs. It's very very concerning," Morrison said while sentencing him.
For the record, these are non violent crimes. He made some guns and said some naughty words. He might be a douche and engaged in criminal activity, but he himself isnt a danger to the public.

I think youre hoping for a white supremacist violence scandal that never seems to appear.

Forum List

Back