Ever had to jack up a 2020/newer car??

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Bonzi and I started to go to the store... WTF??... flat tire.
2020 Ford Fusion.
Well crap. Oh well, let's get the donut tire... WTF?? Where is it?? - GONE!!
And the jack, and the jack tools and the little mini compressor that comes with a Fusion.
What's this... 100s of them for sale on eBay??? Gee... how the hell you think that is possible??
OMG... wait till tomorrow when the dealership is open. (It's Sunday).
Jesus Christ!
Alright let's get the tire off anyway. I have a low profile floor jack no problem.
Wait... what is all this plastic everywhere? Where do you put the jack?? Owners manual.. no help.
Look online... some help, but finally find where the jack point is for the rear.
Floor jack won't fit the small point, due to the plastic everywhere can't see shit where to put it!!
Plan C - get the scissor jack out of the truck. I can position this ... got it.
Never in my 58 year life did I ever not know where to put a jack.
Jesus.

2020 Ford Fusion.
And the jack, and the jack tools and the little mini compressor that comes with a Fusion.
What's this... 100s of them for sale on eBay??? Gee... how the hell you think that is possible??
Jesus Christ!
Alright let's get the tire off anyway. I have a low profile floor jack no problem.
Wait... what is all this plastic everywhere? Where do you put the jack?? Owners manual.. no help.
Look online... some help, but finally find where the jack point is for the rear.
Floor jack won't fit the small point, due to the plastic everywhere can't see shit where to put it!!
Jesus.
Well, that sucks, I hate that when that happens.

Sorry for the reality check that the Fusion has given you.

Well, that sucks, I hate that when that happens.

Sorry for the reality check that the Fusion has given you.
And on a Sunday when no one is open.
So I get to have fun frigging with this tomorrow too. And it is suppose to rain.
Wonderful.

Many cars have no spare tire. My wife's beemer had a full-size spare that took up too much room, so I ditched it. One flat so far, triple-a took care of it. One flat in 7 years, so...

Well that's news to me, I thought a spare tire and a jack were required equipment in a car.
It is.
So imagine my surprise. Think about the fact 100s of donut tires for late model cars on for sale on ebay. Now how is that possible? Freaking thieves at dealerships/auction houses stealing spare tires and selling them.

If your uncle jack got stuck on the roof would you help your uncle jack off the roof?

Apparently the 2020 Fusions don't come with a spare.

They don't even have a storage area for a spare.

OIG.O0nveYdKyK5AR4bgWlT6

2020 Ford Fusion.
Jesus Christ!
Jesus.
/---/ My first car in 1968 was a 1960 Karmann Ghia, so I know how to change a flat. I've had to teach more than one Millennial how it's done. My current Volvo only had a fix a flat inflator. I bought a scissor jack from Advanced Auto and a donut from Volvo. I suppose they want you calling for road side assistance now a days.

Apparently the 2020 Fusions don't come with a spare.

They don't even have a storage area for a spare.
Not sure what they mean... but there is storage for it, and a molded plastic thing where the tire use to be, as well as where the jack/tools use to be. You can tell there was a spare there.

The other problem is newer cars sit so dang close to the ground.
You can't see a damn thing what you are doing.
So... I took the wheel in, brought it back and put it on.
But as I began to lower the jack, it pops out with a couple inches to go.
Unbeknownst to me - the jack was actually holding the car up on a ridge line, and not precisely where the jack point is. But the car sits so low to the ground, and the *#^(@ jack point is so damn small you can't see where you are putting the jack exactly.
Extremely bad design and extremely dangerous.

Many cars have no spare tire. My wife's beemer had a full-size spare that took up too much room, so I ditched it. One flat so far, triple-a took care of it. One flat in 7 years, so...

My 2021 Cadillac doesn't have a spare, and never did. I ended up buying one because I drive out in the country a lot and AAA may be 1-2 hours away on a good day.

We specifically bought another Fusion because we really liked the 2012 Fusion we had.
They are nice cars. I also had a flat in the 2012, and had no issues finding a jack point etc.
But 2013 is the year they made the design change. And the underbody is completely different.
Another problem is a large part of the underbody is covered by a plastic splash guard.
So you can't see anything. Nothing. And because the car sits so low, you can't possibly remove it without jacking the car up - and you can't jack the car up because the plastic covers the framing.
Frigging nuts.

Screenshot_20230807-140426-629.png

View attachment 812444

I was on that page, and if you notice it doesn't show a picture of it anywhere. Just pictures of jacks somewhere in front of the rear tire. Which IS where the jack point is, but it is so small that I couldn't not get my floor jack to lift it without damaging the panels.

I was on that page, and if you notice it doesn't show a picture of it anywhere. Just pictures of jacks somewhere in front of the rear tire. Which IS where the jack point is, but it is so small that I couldn't not get my floor jack to lift it without damaging the panels.
I think you're supposed to reduce the size of the pad of your floor jack with a piece of hardwood between the pad and the jack point.

Forum List

Back