Even If Ron Paul Runs Third Party, Wouldn't It Take Away From Obama's 40% Voter Base?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Teals_Of_Wonder, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Teals_Of_Wonder

Teals_Of_Wonder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121
    :meow::uhoh3::uhoh3::blahblah:
    This is something to ponder over. Ron Paul tends to lean more Democratic, so wouldn't you think he would eat away at Obama's already locked in 40% of total votes in 2012?
    :disbelief::disbelief:
    For the good of the country, it's best he not run. Should he run, he will probably get around 8% of the vote. And not all of that would hit the 55% expected for Romney. Also keep in mind that , wouldn't Ron Paul have to acquire a minimum amount of signatures to be on the ballet?
    And odds are Ron Paul may not do well in many swing states being most of those are very determined to boot out Obama.:deal:
    What do you guys all think would happen should Paul run as a LibbyTariontan?

2. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Since there are things about Ron Paul that appeal to both extreme left and extreme right, he would take votes from both Dems and Repubs.

3. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141

If Paul runs third party (and if he does not win the nomination I hope he does) the Republicans will prolly take by far the biggest hit.

4. Teals_Of_Wonder

Teals_Of_Wonder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Ron Paul may even take a bite out of New York and California, being those states are in dire straights already, and Paul would be the alternative to Obama.

5. Teals_Of_Wonder

Teals_Of_Wonder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121
    well also keep in mind like I mentioned, we have to see if and which swing states will put him on the ballet, u know thats gonna start another war.

6. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,655
    I don't know a lot of people in NYC except my daughter, her boyfriend and their roommate. All voted for Obama last time, all would vote for Ron Paul this year.

7. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,790
    I sort of agree, but I don't think it's really the extremes as much as the moderates and independents. The thing is, Paul draws people who view politics along a different axis. Both major parties are dominated but authoritarian leaning politicians who want large, intrusive government. They just have different things they're interested in controlling.

I think RP would draw votes from people on both sides of the left/right split who label themselves 'fiscally conservative and socially liberal'. He'll also attract votes from people who are genuinely opposed to the warfare state, and that's growing concern in both parties.

I guess it depends on how you define them, but I don't think that any of the above descriptions fit 'extreme left' or 'extreme right'. My understanding of extreme leftists would be Marxists and progressives who would never be able to stomach RP's support of free markets. And people on the extreme right would never trust his libertarian views against legislating morality (drug war, etc..).

8. Teals_Of_Wonder

Teals_Of_Wonder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121
    but isn't paul around 74 ? 75? Isn't that one reason they wouldn't vote for McCain? god forbid he dies in office?

9. uptownlivin90

uptownlivin90 Rebelious Youngin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +384
    It depends on who is VP is. If his VP is more conservative, then chances are he'll take votes from Republicans, if for some reason he was hit on the head with a rock and took Kucinich as his VP the left would crowd around him. Of course, then we'd all be screwed...

If he goes third party, I don't believe he has a chance though. Could be wrong, but he has to win the nomination to have a chance at beating Obama.

10. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,544
    Ron Paul isn't going to run as a third party candidate so the point is moot.