Even if emissions stop, carbon dioxide could warm Earth for centuries

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Posted November 24, 2013; 01:00 p.m.
Even if carbon dioxide emissions came to a sudden halt, the carbon dioxide already in Earth's atmosphere could continue to warm our planet for hundreds of years, according to Princeton University-led research published in the journal Nature Climate Change. The study suggests that it might take a lot less carbon than previously thought to reach the global temperature scientists deem unsafe.

The researchers simulated an Earth on which, after 1,800 billion tons of carbon entered the atmosphere, all carbon dioxide emissions suddenly stopped. Scientists commonly use the scenario of emissions screeching to a stop to gauge the heat-trapping staying power of carbon dioxide. Within a millennium of this simulated shutoff, the carbon itself faded steadily with 40 percent absorbed by Earth's oceans and landmasses within 20 years and 80 percent soaked up at the end of the 1,000 years.

Princeton University - Even if emissions stop, carbon dioxide could warm Earth for centuries

Yes the Earth will continue to do what it will do no matter what man does. How Captain Obvious of them.

No. The CO2 in the atmosphere will be there for a great long while. But so will the CO2 we put there ten, fifty, a hundred years from now. We need to take serious action, NOW, to reduce our GHG emissions.

Why is it that these GW people say that temps will only rise about 2 degrees C in the next hundred years now saying it's going to be worse?

How much worse is it going to be 1 degree C?

Sorry folks but a couple degrees isn't going to matter.

Why is it that these GW people say that temps will only rise about 2 degrees C in the next hundred years now saying it's going to be worse?

Sorry folks, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Review Chapter 12 of AR5's WG-I (www.ipcc.ch)

Last edited:

Posted November 24, 2013; 01:00 p.m.
Even if carbon dioxide emissions came to a sudden halt, the carbon dioxide already in Earth's atmosphere could continue to warm our planet for hundreds of years, according to Princeton University-led research published in the journal Nature Climate Change. The study suggests that it might take a lot less carbon than previously thought to reach the global temperature scientists deem unsafe.

The researchers simulated an Earth on which, after 1,800 billion tons of carbon entered the atmosphere, all carbon dioxide emissions suddenly stopped. Scientists commonly use the scenario of emissions screeching to a stop to gauge the heat-trapping staying power of carbon dioxide. Within a millennium of this simulated shutoff, the carbon itself faded steadily with 40 percent absorbed by Earth's oceans and landmasses within 20 years and 80 percent soaked up at the end of the 1,000 years.

Princeton University - Even if emissions stop, carbon dioxide could warm Earth for centuries

marshall+applewhite.jpg

"Even if emissions stop, carbon dioxide could warm Earth for centuries"

Sorry folks, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Review Chapter 12 of AR5's WG-I (IPCC - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change)

So tell me what exactly will happen if the earth is 1.5 degrees C warmer.

• Banned
The difference between the height of the little ice age and today is around 2c.

The difference between those mile high glaciers over Chicago and looking up at them on staten island is around 8c.

2c in 100 years is a oh shit moment!

The difference between those mile high glaciers over Chicago and looking up at them on staten island is around 8c.

Good thing the Pacific Ocean is eating your Global Warming

Chicken Little lives.

Tell me exactly what will happen. You can't. You can't even say with any certainty that the 2 degree prediction is accurate.

The fact that the GW crowd keeps upping the ante tells me they don't know what's going to happen. But the more they scare you the more you can be controlled.

For those of you who like to quote the IPCC

World's top climate scientists confess: Global warming is just QUARTER what we thought - and computers got the effects of greenhouse gases wrong | Mail Online

the leaked report makes the extraordinary concession that over the past 15 years, recorded world temperatures have increased at only a quarter of the rate of IPCC claimed when it published its last assessment in 2007.

Back then, it said observed warming over the 15 years from 1990-2005 had taken place at a rate of 0.2C per decade, and it predicted this would continue for the following 20 years, on the basis of forecasts made by computer climate models.

But the new report says the observed warming over the more recent 15 years to 2012 was just 0.05C per decade - below almost all computer predictions.

Read more: World's top climate scientists confess: Global warming is just QUARTER what we thought - and computers got the effects of greenhouse gases wrong | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I have to wonder what else the IPCC is wrong about.

Last edited:

World's top climate scientists confess: Global warming is just QUARTER what we thought - and computers got the effects of greenhouse gases wrong | Mail Online

the leaked report makes the extraordinary concession that over the past 15 years, recorded world temperatures have increased at only a quarter of the rate of IPCC claimed when it published its last assessment in 2007.

Back then, it said observed warming over the 15 years from 1990-2005 had taken place at a rate of 0.2C per decade, and it predicted this would continue for the following 20 years, on the basis of forecasts made by computer climate models.

But the new report says the observed warming over the more recent 15 years to 2012 was just 0.05C per decade - below almost all computer predictions.

Read more: World's top climate scientists confess: Global warming is just QUARTER what we thought - and computers got the effects of greenhouse gases wrong | Mail Online

They admitted they're just using AGW Hoax to redistribute wealth

Fuck them

Chicken Little lives.

Tell me exactly what will happen. You can't. You can't even say with any certainty that the 2 degree prediction is accurate.

The fact that the GW crowd keeps upping the ante tells me they don't know what's going to happen. But the more they scare you the more you can be controlled.

First of all, we cannot say 'exactly' what will happen. But we can say that it will not be good for a population of over 7 billion humans that depend on a stable climate for food. And that 2 degrees figure is an optimistic one, one that does not consider the feedback effects we are seeing in the Arctic.

Chicken Little lives.

Does it make you comfortable knowing that we can't predict all the effects? If so, why?

Except that the IPCC report DOES NOT say that "climate scientists confess" global warming is just QUARTER what we thought. What they confess is that the rate of increase in the last 15 years is 1/4 what we thought, and can and has been explained, as has been pointed out in the text of your post, AND in nearly every such thread on this forum.

Chicken Little lives.

Does it make you comfortable knowing that we can't predict all the effects? If so, why?

Because you people are using dubious predictions to impose controls on millions of people

Chicken Little lives.

Because you people are using dubious predictions to impose controls on millions of people

How does that make you comfortable?

Forum List

Back