Europeans don't do this

What is wrong with American educators?

This is a lie. Most public schools in America do not allow corporal punishment. If it is allowed, it's most likely schools in the Bible Belt. It is not typical for corporal punishment to be taking place in American public schools. If it is, blame it on the right.
Individual US states have the power to ban corporal punishment in their schools. Currently, it is banned in public schools in 31 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. In two of these states, New Jersey and Iowa, it is illegal in private schools as well. The 19 states that have not banned it are mostly in the South. It is still used to a significant (though declining)degree in some public schools in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas.
wiki

By far, it mostly takes place in conservative states, red states.

Last edited:
cp-states-8th-grade.png

Why do Americans like violence so much?

Isn't just America, but the industrialized world. Much of our entertainment is violence-centered. I think it serves a purpose in societies. Like in ancient Rome with gladiatorial games. Maybe watching violence curtails criminal violence to some degree. Get out one's frustrations and animal passions play-fighting and killing instead of doing it for real? But in cultures without a stronger ethical standard, too much violence spills over into real-life. Japan and the US have abut the same population, about the same technology, and the same entertainments and in particular videogames. Their's are considerably more violence-oriented though but nonetheless they don't have the same problems with social violence we in the US do. I think because they're a much more cohesive society whereas we're divided into many camps. Also, their lack of widespread Christianity and more nature-based reliigous thought is a major factor. Christianity breeds violence. This is demonstratable by before and after cultural analysis of societies that didn't have Christianity, then did. Christianity never really took off in Asian countries and as a result they have a more evolved and mature culture in comparison to Christian countries. Because of Christianity represses pleasure, but Asian religions don't, they're 'freer' to seek pleasure than Christian dominated countries are. So while they have violent entertainment options equal to, or greater than our's, it's balanced by equal embracment of pleasure-based entertainments. Whereas we only have the violence, but the pleasure is being actively suppressed and repressed.

Plus it's worth mentioning, that because the US and western powers won WWII, we became the defacto leader of the world. As such, we're also the most corrupt becomming what we once sought to put down as with tyranny. I doubt that it's possible to be the leader of the world and still be good and just. Think controlling so many people necessitates a degree of tyranny.

Why do Americans like violence so much?
Because we are a violent people. We believe in using violence to resolve issues. We do not respect people who support nonviolence, they are considered weak. All of which plays out on the bodies of our children. As a Native American once commented to another after watching a while man whip a child, you can't make peace with savages. He was correct.

As an aside, we do not teach classroom management or child psychology to our teachers. Since I have schools as clients I can tell you first-hand that their classroom control generally sucks. This country doesn't respect education or teachers, and it shows in the kids, that we beat.

Corporal punishment is an effective tool

-Geaux
No, it's isn't, but it works for 30 seconds and makes you feel better.

if fat-boy and Trayvon had to go 'see the coach' maybe they would of learned the difference between right and wrong and that there are consequences for actions

-Geaux
Simple answers for simple minds. Give us the Never Did Me Any Harm part next.

No, it doesn't harm.. It helps teach life skills, along with strong parenting of course.

it takes a village. lol

-Geaux

-Geaux

Worked real well for me. I was suspended from high school four times. All for fighting. I was whacked more than four times by the assistant principal (all 6'4" about 250) with a thirty inch paddle drilled full of holes. You would have to grab the edge of his desk when you bent over and you could hear the air whistling before the strike on your ass. Which would lift you up off your feet. Three of those and you were done.

And I still got kicked out of school for fighting.

You sure it works goforit?

No, it doesn't harm.. It helps teach life skills, along with strong parenting of course.

You have never been beat with a belt or a paddle have you go? What "life skills" are being taught when you beat your kid? You don't seem to know much about life.. Maybe you should have been beat more? Think so?

In 7th grade, I was beat up by a teacher for skipping his bowling club. I went to the library instead and read National Geographic magazines with a friend. As a result, I joined 'Fight Club' until age 27. I quit after a New Jersey State Trooper broke my buddys windshield with my head and suffered my 3rd concussion (or was it my fourth?).

Never was a big fan of corporal punishment.
True story.

-Geaux
No, it's isn't, but it works for 30 seconds and makes you feel better.

if fat-boy and Trayvon had to go 'see the coach' maybe they would of learned the difference between right and wrong and that there are consequences for actions

-Geaux
Simple answers for simple minds. Give us the Never Did Me Any Harm part next.

it takes a village. lol

-Geaux
Right on time. Being hit teaches life-skills. No, but it does teach that big people hit little people. That's certainly true enough here.

Forum List

Back