Euro Cup

Yeah, it was clearly over. That official is blind. He basically has one job and he blew it. However, even if it had ended 1-1, it wouldn't have affected the final table.

I'll be honest. When I saw the ball in real time, I thought it had to have went in. When you watch the replays, it appears that that ball went pretty far over that line. Of course the whole ball has to cross the line. I have to admit, there is a chance that a sliver of that ball did not cross the line. I wasn't seeing day light between the ball and the top post/line.

My guess is that it went in but it was so close and the ref just didn't have the balls to make the call. I think we saw a clear case of why goal line technology is needed.

It was over.

IMG_1793-600x448.jpg

FIFA and UEFA are anachronisms.

Yeah, it was clearly over. That official is blind. He basically has one job and he blew it. However, even if it had ended 1-1, it wouldn't have affected the final table.

I'll be honest. When I saw the ball in real time, I thought it had to have went in. When you watch the replays, it appears that that ball went pretty far over that line. Of course the whole ball has to cross the line. I have to admit, there is a chance that a sliver of that ball did not cross the line. I wasn't seeing day light between the ball and the top post/line.

My guess is that it went in but it was so close and the ref just didn't have the balls to make the call. I think we saw a clear case of why goal line technology is needed.

It was over.

IMG_1793-600x448.jpg

Yea. It's a bit blurry, but I definitely see the day light. I do go back to the ref either didn't see it very well or he didn't have the balls to make the call on what he thought he saw. I still think we need the goal line technology.

Platini is dead set against it.

Then I think Platini needs to go.

Cricket is now the model for the use of technologies, and it has done wonders for the game.

One thing I love about cricket is that both teams get two appeals per game - meaning they can ask for a decision to reviewed on video. I think football could adopt the same. It would all that endless appealing for offsides, because a team could either have it reviewed or shut up.

Platini is dead set against it.

Then I think Platini needs to go.

Cricket is now the model for the use of technologies, and it has done wonders for the game.

One thing I love about cricket is that both teams get two appeals per game - meaning they can ask for a decision to reviewed on video. I think football could adopt the same. It would all that endless appealing for offsides, because a team could either have it reviewed or shut up.

I agree. Hawkeye has been in use for, what, 15-20 years now in cricket? And Wimbledon too, for almost as long. Clearly referees are only human, but if they are given a specific job to do and still blow the call....

Being from the Detroit area, there was a lot of conversation about this 2 years ago when Jim Joyce blew the Galarraga call and broke up what would have been the first 'Perfect Game' in Tigers history.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5HTFZainm4&feature=relmfu]Call costs Tigers perfect game vs. Tribe - YouTube[/ame]

To his credit, Joyce admitted he blew it immediately after the game...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp8ST0WidfA&feature=related]Umpire Jim Joyce's Apology For His Call That Ruined Armando Galarraga's Perfect Game - YouTube[/ame]

...but without some form of system for reviewing a play, it made no difference. I understand a desire to keep the human element in the game, but when results or records are impacted by it, some things have to be considered more important that the human element. You can bet Joyce wishes the decision could have been reversed.

It was over.

IMG_1793-600x448.jpg

It did look that way, didn't it.

I thought Greece was the worst team in the final eight. After that Czech Republic performance, I'm not so sure.

Didn't see the game today. Son has friends for a sleepover so we were all enjoying the fine weather at the pool this afternoon.

Not surprised to see Portugal get through, but to hear that it was possibly more because the Czechs were poor than Portugal were good is a surprise.

ESPN3 to the rescue. Being able to watch the matches when they are over is exactly the kind of thing the internet was invented for!

Watch Live Sports Events and ESPN Programs Online and on Mobile Applications - WatchESPN

I thought Greece was the worst team in the final eight. After that Czech Republic performance, I'm not so sure.

Didn't see the game today. Son has friends for a sleepover so we were all enjoying the fine weather at the pool this afternoon.

Not surprised to see Portugal get through, but to hear that it was possibly more because the Czechs were poor than Portugal were good is a surprise.

ESPN3 to the rescue. Being able to watch the matches when they are over is exactly the kind of thing the internet was invented for!

Watch Live Sports Events and ESPN Programs Online and on Mobile Applications - WatchESPN

True. True. I suppose it was expecting to much to see a replay of their last championship meeting of years ago.

If the first few minutes are anything to go by, the Greeks are going to get massacred. Germany are all over them.

ROFLMAO! The Greeks have equalized! Well, with all the possession and chances the Germans have allowed to go begging they've got only themselves to blame!

Come on Greece!

Forum List

Back