Euro Cup

You mean Portugal I suspect. The Germans were already through, whatever happened today (more's the pity).

I don't remember the exact circumstance/rationale but with about 20 minutes left Germany was going home if they lost 2-1 and the other result held.
No, that's not true....they had 6 points at the start of play - no other 2 teams could have beat that and got 7 points to tip them out, nor beat them on goal difference.

I said it wrong. It was if Germany gave up another goal (and lost 2-1) then they would have been eliminated. So either way it was close. If Germany lost 2-1 then Denmark, Portugal and Germany all would have 6 points. The tie breakers when it's more than two teams (three teams tied) is based not on the points between the teams. It's not based on the goal differential like in the world cup.

In that case it would have been:

Germany 3 points
Denmark 3 points
Portugal 3 points

So it goes to the next tiebreaker which is not goal differential but goals scored (in the head to heads).

Denmark 4 goals
Portugal 3 goals
Germany 2 goals

So yes, both announcers on both stations were correct when they were talking about how Germany was on the edge of being eliminated. I just incorrectly stated that it had to be a tie. It was based on Denmark winning the game 2-1.

But yes, Germany was very close to being eliminated and that goal they had to go up 2-1 was huge at the time for them.

Last edited:
I don't remember the exact circumstance/rationale but with about 20 minutes left Germany was going home if they lost 2-1 and the other result held.
No, that's not true....they had 6 points at the start of play - no other 2 teams could have beat that and got 7 points to tip them out, nor beat them on goal difference.

I said it wrong. It was if Germany gave up another goal (and lost 2-1) then they would have been eliminated. So either way it was close. If Germany lost 2-1 then Denmark, Portugal and Germany all would have 6 points. The tie breakers when it's more than two teams (three teams tied) is based not on the points between the teams. It's not based on the goal differential like in the world cup.

In that case it would have been:

Germany 3 points
Denmark 3 points
Portugal 3 points

So it goes to the next tiebreaker which is not goal differential but goals scored (in the head to heads).

Denmark 4 goals
Portugal 3 goals
Germany 2 goals

So yes, both announcers on both stations were correct when they were talking about how Germany was on the edge of being eliminated. I just incorrectly stated that it had to be a tie. It was based on Denmark winning the game 2-1.

But yes, Germany was very close to being eliminated and that goal they had to go up 2-1 was huge at the time for them.

Here's the actual info.

http://www.uefa.com/multimediafiles/download/competitions/euro/91/87/57/918757_download.pdf

Section 8.07 has the full procedure, and states that for teams who finish with the same points the procedure is as follows
(a) higher number of points among the teams in question
(b) superior GD in matches among the teams in question
(c) higher number of goals scored in matches among the teams in question
(d) superior GD in all group matches
(e) higher number of goals scored in all group matches
(f) position in the UEFA national team ranking coefficient

Today's games could be really complicated. Results in Group C have so far have been as follows:
Spain 1 Italy 1, Croatia 3 RoI 1, Italy 1 Croatia 1, Spain 4 RoI 0.

This has left Spain on 4 pts (GD+4), Croatia on 4 pts (GD+2), and Italy on 2 pts (GD +/-0). Now, in today's games.....

Scenario A: If Italy beat Ireland 2-0, and Spain and Croatia play out a goalless draw, Italy win the group (tiebreaker c) and Spain take second over Croatia (tiebreaker d)

Scenario B: If Italy beat Ireland 2-0, and Spain and Croatia play out a 1-1 draw, Spain win the group (tiebreaker d) and tiebreaker f is used to separate italy and Croatia

Scenario C: If Italy beat Ireland 2-0, and Spain and Croatia play out a 2-2 draw, Spain win the group from Croatia (tiebreaker e) and Croatia beat out Italy for second (tiebreaker c)

I think that's right. it's horribly complicated.

^^^

Actually when I misremembered my initial quote, I said it right the first time that a 2-1 loss by Germany would take them out. That's what the announcers were claiming as well. Saigon's argument that Germany would have finished with 7 points with a loss (something that is not true), threw me off and I assumed that I must've claimed a tie. With a loss Germany would have been at 6 points and in a three way tie.

To address the scenario above. It looks like I left out the 2nd tiebreaker which was goal differential. But Germany/Denmark would have been tied with a 0 GD (among the tied teams) and then it would have went to goals scored (among the tied teams) and then that would have favored Denmark 4-2. So Germany was dangerously close to be eliminated!

Last edited:
Bye bye Croatia and Ireland. Congrats Spain and Italy. Now, tomorrow its the REALLY important one!

Bye bye Croatia and Ireland. Congrats Spain and Italy. Now, tomorrow its the REALLY important one!

How will England f*** it up, I wonder?

Yep. It's a mystery. If we do manage to get out of the group stage however, we always have the security blanket of being able to f*** it up on penalties in the knockout stage. We rock at that.

^^^

Actually when I misremembered my initial quote, I said it right the first time that a 2-1 loss by Germany would take them out. That's what the announcers were claiming as well. Saigon's argument that Germany would have finished with 7 points with a loss (something that is not true), threw me off and I assumed that I must've claimed a tie. With a loss Germany would have been at 6 points and in a three way tie.

I wasn't so clear before - I meant that no other team could have reached 7 points to overtake Germany on 6 points (had Germany lost).

You are right that they would all have been stuck on 6 points.

England is formidable. But I think they're very beatable all the same. .

I'd say more beatable than formidable - Germany and Spain would/will probably beat England comfortably, and either Portugal or Italy might fancy their chances.

I think it will be a Spain v Germany final, if the draw allows it.

0-0 at half time. England playing for a draw. Dreadful, dull, timid, uncreative, passionless and wholly typical performance so far. Best that can be said is that it's still level.

Royball...

Yes, Royball. :clap2:

Short of pace at the back, short of incisiveness and movement at the front, short of ideas in the middle.

A win's a win, and I'm happier with Italy than Spain, but I think the best that can be said is that we have insinuated ourselves into the knockout stage.

When we play one of the top teams (which MIGHT include Italy) the game will be up for Royball.

BTW, definitely a goal by Ukraine. That the hell was the goal line official looking at? The fact that it should have already been given offside hardly excuses such a blindingly lousy piece of officiating.

What the hell happened to France?

England v Italy should be a great game, and both teams have to play for a win, of course.

I can see it ending 1-1 or 0-0...and then penalties!

Yeah, it was clearly over. That official is blind. He basically has one job and he blew it. However, even if it had ended 1-1, it wouldn't have affected the final table.

I'll be honest. When I saw the ball in real time, I thought it had to have went in. When you watch the replays, it appears that that ball went pretty far over that line. Of course the whole ball has to cross the line. I have to admit, there is a chance that a sliver of that ball did not cross the line. I wasn't seeing day light between the ball and the top post/line.

My guess is that it went in but it was so close and the ref just didn't have the balls to make the call. I think we saw a clear case of why goal line technology is needed.

Yeah, it was clearly over. That official is blind. He basically has one job and he blew it. However, even if it had ended 1-1, it wouldn't have affected the final table.

I'll be honest. When I saw the ball in real time, I thought it had to have went in. When you watch the replays, it appears that that ball went pretty far over that line. Of course the whole ball has to cross the line. I have to admit, there is a chance that a sliver of that ball did not cross the line. I wasn't seeing day light between the ball and the top post/line.

My guess is that it went in but it was so close and the ref just didn't have the balls to make the call. I think we saw a clear case of why goal line technology is needed.

Platini is dead set against it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back