Euro Cup

I'll never, for the life of me, understand why the English proletariat prefer to follow oikball, aka 'soccer', over the noblest game of all: Rugby. Honestly, I'd rather watch the Irish steal a victory over their Saxon overlord than watch a bunch of jumped-up peasants prance around an acre and a half of turf for ninety minutes.

I'll never, for the life of me, understand why the English proletariat prefer to follow oikball, aka 'soccer', over the noblest game of all: Rugby. Honestly, I'd rather watch the Irish steal a victory over their Saxon overlord than watch a bunch of jumped-up peasants prance around an acre and a half of turf for ninety minutes.

Why do you consider Brazil, Ghana, Russia or Spain to be 'peasants'?

Swedes 2, Turnips 3. That was a game of several halves.

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.... why do England have to make winning such a fucking struggle?

I think they have a bit of a lack of self-belief, whereas Sweden are so confident as a culture and people.

English fans know only arrogance and fear - a rational balance of confidence and respect seems to be beyond them.

How many Truthseekers are there?
Anyway it was a great match and Portugal got their deserved win.

But Portugal is still bankrupt and depending on the European Union to prevent their total economic collapse.

Makes men running around in gym shorts and golf shirts, kicking a ball into a net, pretty IRRELEVENT, doesn't it?

Well in that case all of America's sports are pretty irrelevant as well.

You are absolutely CORRECT! The only people that can afford to attend a U.S. "major league" sporting event in person are WEALTHY people.

But, the difference is that when us "Yankees" talk about "American sports", we usually don't include the phrase "extra riot police" in our conversation. :D

Swedes 2, Turnips 3. That was a game of several halves.

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.... why do England have to make winning such a fucking struggle?

I think they have a bit of a lack of self-belief, whereas Sweden are so confident as a culture and people.

English fans know only arrogance and fear - a rational balance of confidence and respect seems to be beyond them.

Arrogance? Expectation is probably a better word. I agree about self-belief though. Nearly 50 years of largely failure will do that.

I miss my Wasps season tickets. Still remember taking the wife and kids to Twickers for this like it was yesterday.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6CQz_gCzJw]Rob Howley try vs Toulouse (2004 HEC Final) - YouTube[/ame]

Still better was the semi-final against Munster. To this day, the most amazing game I've ever seen.

I follow both. Rugby, I support Bath and soccer I'm a Chelsea supporter. I think both are cool...

"Rugby is a thugs game played by gentlemen and soccer is a gentleman's game played by thugs." :lol:

Arrogance? Expectation is probably a better word. I agree about self-belief though. Nearly 50 years of largely failure will do that.

Well, you can sack Roy now... Harry's available. :lmao:

It's a funny thing about British sport. Following it through the BBC I notice sobs of misery at every failure - followed by a peculiar puffed-up arrogance after every victory. This is less true in football than in rugby and cricket, but there is still this underlying attitude that England somehow always deserves to be world champion.

30 minutes left in Group A.

Poland and the Czechs contesting a tight 0-0 at present, while Greece's goal against Russia threatens to put them both out.

For those of us that appreciate football, this is exciting stuff.

Greece 1 - Russia 0
Czech 1 - Poland 0

Russia and the Poles go home. Greeks and Czechs through to the quarters.

Greece 1 - Russia 0
Czech 1 - Poland 0

Russia and the Poles go home. Greeks and Czechs through to the quarters.

I suspect the Greek Government (do they actually have a Government yet? :lol:) would prefer the Greeks come home now... they can't afford the hotel bill.

Today was the first day I had to miss some games. Looks like I really missed out.

Simultaneous start times in the last group games always make it interesting.

Luckily I can swtich back and forth between 2 channels...which usually means I miss all of the games in both games! :mad:

Yesterday, both games were between teams wearing a red strip and a white strip. Highly confusing when hopping back and forth.

Forum List

Back