Euro Cup

A Germany/Spain Final would be epic.

I'm still going to root for France to beat Spain though.

A Germany/England semifinal would be fun too.

Spain should edge France tonight, but it won't be easy. I don't think Spain are quite the side they were in 2010, and France are improving.

I hope to see England edge Italy, and think they will, actually.

I don't think Spain is as good as they are two years ago but I still think they are the best team in the tournament.

You can't score if you don't have the ball.

They're not quite as great at creating scoring chances but they're still great with ball control. They wouldn't be able to fall asleep on a team like Germany though. And England, Italy, Portugal would all have great chances if they went into the second half up 1 or level.

I pretty much had a feeling they'd beat France though. I went back to sleep after the first goal.

No match has gone to penalty-shootout yet thats odd. England usually ends up in penalty shootouts in knock-out rounds. Italy are also hard to beat so it could well end up in a penalty shootout today?

no clear favourite in this game (england-italy) as in the other quarterfinals.

No match has gone to penalty-shootout yet thats odd. England usually ends up in penalty shootouts in knock-out rounds. Italy are also hard to beat so it could well end up in a penalty shootout today?

I think England are in a groove. I'd give them the edge. But Italy has a propensity for showing up in big games. So I guess it could go either way.

It's an intriguing game. The Italian style is generally somewhat staid traditionally, but highlighted by moments of individual flair or brilliance. England will start as slight underdogs and will be as always almost paralyzed by the fear of defeat. The play of one or two players, particularly Gerrard and Rooney, will be key.

I worry about the tactics and mobility of the England defense. They've been alarmingly willing to stand off in the last third against the 2 real quality teams they have played thus far allowing possession just outside the box to their peril, and have also been noticeably lacking in speed on occasions (particularly Terry). Those 2 points aside however, they have been well organized.

If it goes to penalties I'm going to hide behind the couch.

Italy hasn't been playing like Italy. They have been playing a 3-5-2.

Neither England nor Italy are particularly good. I expect a 1-1 tie, and I expect, given Hodgson's tactics, England will look more like Italy than Italy will.

Italy wins on penalties.

Notes on the size and shape of the historical mountain England face today...

Excluding penalties, [Italy] have lost just two knock-out games in 24 years - a controversial loss to South Korea at the 2002 World Cup, plus defeat to France in the final of Euro 2000. The USSR were the last team to beat the Azzurri in a knock-out game without needing extra-time or penalties (in the semi-finals of Euro 88).

In contrast, England have not beaten one of world football's heavyweights in a competitive game since victory against Argentina at the 2002 World Cup. Their last knock-out win against a nation of similar stature is the slightly fortuitous penalty shoot-out triumph against Spain at Euro 96.

The Three Lions' quarter-final record is disappointing - they have lost seven of 10 matches at either European Championship finals or the World Cup, with their only overseas win at this stage the 3-2 victory against Cameroon in 1990. The Italians, meanwhile, have lost only two of nine quarter-finals - and both of those were shoot-out defeats (to France at the 1998 World Cup and Spain at Euro 2008).
BBC Sport - England v Italy

20 minutes til kick off.

Give us a good show lads and, win or lose, you can hold your heads up.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!

Forum List

Back