(+)Eugenics, Yea or Nay?

Good thing we didn't say anything about empathy, because you have none. Man you are one sick puppy.

Because I do not support genocide? Or because I know history? Which one makes me a sick puppy?

Your insistence on confounding a simple point with your own conclusions and definitions of what was really meant. His defintion was straight forward and simple, you're the one bringing in the nazi's and your defintion of the way it has to be done. That's what makes you sick.

The phrase "quality of life" has been used to justify killing off anyone who is old, handicapped, mentally deficient, and even for the Holocaust, yet you are trying to tell me I am jumping to conclusions in insisting that it is ambiguous? Sorry, I am not going to drink the Kool-Aid.

I don't believe it's meant to be an A La Carte Menu type of thing...

more of a Recognize Genetically Passable Abnormalities, and STOP Them From Recurring thing.

Because I do not support genocide? Or because I know history? Which one makes me a sick puppy?

Your insistence on confounding a simple point with your own conclusions and definitions of what was really meant. His defintion was straight forward and simple, you're the one bringing in the nazi's and your defintion of the way it has to be done. That's what makes you sick.

The phrase "quality of life" has been used to justify killing off anyone who is old, handicapped, mentally deficient, and even for the Holocaust, yet you are trying to tell me I am jumping to conclusions in insisting that it is ambiguous? Sorry, I am not going to drink the Kool-Aid.

That's it! I'm stopping the fight!

Pans can't defend himself!!

I haven't seen such a one-sided total beating since Obama Campaign promises met the Obama White House

Before anyone gets too carried away with this equating to KILLING undesirables, let us not forget that folks can be STERILIZED, eh? :rolleyes:

I honestly believe that the stem cell research is working toward exactly this same outcome,

but instead of segregating out the abnormalities,

it seeks to IMPROVE the entity, and bring it back into alignment with what would be considered "perfect" for it ~

in other words, it won't make the ugly, beautiful, it will just make it the BEST it CAN be.

Who gets to decide what is beautiful? Are you going to eliminate certain characteristics that are part of a racial identity simply because you find them unattractive?

I repeat for emphasis, eugenics is simply racism wrapped in pseudo-scientific language to make it prettier, but it still smells the same.

My bro & sis-in-law. He has a condition that is ALWAYS passed on to the progeny, which begins with legal blindness and ends with complete blindness. They had 3 children, and all three carry this gene AND are affected by it.

Negative Eugenics: Kill or euthanize them

Positive Eugenics: Use current or future genetic knowledge to ensure their children do not inherit the condition.

Which do you support?
To my way of thinking, the parents were remiss and could almost be accused of child abuse for their part in the creation of these "malformed" kids, and to allow those children to then go on to procreate, themselves, is an absolute crime against THEIR children.

The problem with that line of argument is that it quickly becomes quite grey. If the State should intervene and prevent their reproduction in this instance, then what of other instances where a genetic disadvantage will lead to hardship? What of Down's? Then, what if can be shown that they will pass poor eyesight, mixed ethnicity,or something else that might create hardship merely based on social factors? That line of argument quickly leads to dark places and history shows us that once those paces are reached, truly horrendous things occur. It quickly becomes not only negative eugenics, but racial hygiene and a campaign to wipe out the Lower Tenth. We saw this, for instance, in California in the 20's and also in the Ozarks, where children were forcefully sterilized
UNTIL a solution can be found, to repair the damaged allele(s),

yes, I think it should be mandatory for anyone carrying that/those allele(s) to undergo sterilization.

The problem, again, is that such a line of argument has always turned into 'desirability' and such movements taken over by 'scientific racists' advocating 'racial hygiene'

Okay, well how about THIS, then:

Where a Good "Quality of Life" = no genetically passed abmormalities that appear more than 50% of the time in the progeny of the carriers

Does that suit?

Whose afraid of Big, Bad Eugenics?

It's not like Obama is on record calling himself "God's partner in matters of life and death", right?

nay! It might help wipe out diseases, but I don't think messing with nature or genetics is a good idea.

Why? You don't like what we've done with the banana?

banana1.jpg

>

1250861778510.jpg

What about what we've done with Corn?

You don't think the Rottweiler, the Pudelhund, the Husky, and other working breeds have made our lives easier? Those are mere plants and beasts, bred for our use with little (if any) thought for their own benefit, yet they were smashing successes. There are problems, and some breeds, especially toy breeds, have more problems stemming from the fact that those who bred them weren't concerned with their own good as we would be concerned with our own when turning our efforts towards improving our own form.

Image what we might achieve if we turn our efforts and science to improving our own selves for our own benefit.

Also, picking and choosing what traits your child will have, just seems wrong to me.
Really? So given the choice between your child having Sickle Cell Anemia (or flipping a coin to find out) and your child enjoying heterogeneity and some resistance to malaria, it'd be 'wrong' to give your child malarial resistance and ensure (s)he doesn't suffer Sickle Cell Anemia?

Have you no compression or love for your child?

nay! It might help wipe out diseases, but I don't think messing with nature or genetics is a good idea.

banana1.jpg

>

1250861778510.jpg

You don't think the Rottweiler, the Pudelhund, the Husky, and other working breeds have made our lives easier? Those are mere plants and beasts, bred for our use with little (if any) thought for their own benefit, yet they were smashing successes. There are problems, and some breeds, especially toy breeds, have more problems stemming from the fact that those who bred them weren't concerned with their own good as we would be concerned with our own when turning our efforts towards improving our own form.

Image what we might achieve if we turn our efforts and science to improving our own selves for our own benefit.

Also, picking and choosing what traits your child will have, just seems wrong to me.
Really? So given the choice between your child having Sickle Cell Anemia (or flipping a coin to find out) and your child enjoying heterogeneity and some resistance to malaria, it'd be 'wrong' to give your child malarial resistance and ensure (s)he doesn't suffer Sickle Cell Anemia?

So how did the Indians genetically engineer maize?

Care to clarify and present your actual objections rather than simply throwing around some Beckish bullshit? Let me guess, empathy leads us to bad places because Hitler killed the Jews out of empathy :rolleyes:

Did I say anything about empathy?

You started walking down the road to Becksm; I just cut you off at the pass.
And?
Right... you don't seem to really know much about what he did or why.
Eugenics has always been about improving genes through various programs, and the best way to to that has always been eliminating defective stock from the gene pool
Fail. Even if you remove 'defective stock', you've done nothing. The only way to increase the prevalence of favorable traits is by, you know- spreading them around. See: selective breeding.

Now, show me where the definition,

The use of genetic technologies that we possess or shall come to possess to enable parents to determine what genetic traits are passed on to their children, with the stated aims and goals of eliminating genetic disease, improving the human form (eg:restoring the human ability to synthesize our own vitamin C, should it prove possible to repair the damaged pseudogene), prolonging life, and improving the quality of human life.

and killing someone is the only 100% effective way to remove them from the gene pool. But keep thinking eugenics is a new idea, or that it is something pretty. It isn't, it is just another form of racism, only dressed in pretty clothes and a psuedo-scientific justification.

says anything about ' eliminating defective stock from the gene pool'. Also, learn to read, as the title clearly says '(+) Eugenics...'.

+ is commonly used to stand for 'positive'. Hence, the thread title reads as Positive Eugenics..' If you don't know what positive and negative eugenics are, you really shouldn't try to tell other people about the matter.
But keep thinking eugenics is a new idea, or that it is something pretty. It isn't, it is just another form of racism
Right... because wanting to ensure that if I or my partner possess an allele that, if inherited, could cause our child to suffer from a horrible disease, that that chld does not iunherit that particular allele, is 'racist'. :rolleyes: Wanting to ensue that, if my partner and I are both benefit from heterozygouse advantage, that our child does as well, instead of that child suffering from Tay Sachs or hemophilia is 'racist'.

Right...[/quote]

So sorry, I totally misjudged you. I thought you were a racist, and it turns out that you are actually a misguided fool. My apologies.

Putting a '+' in front of eugenics does not change the facts, it is wrong. Denying someone the right to procreate simply because they don't come up to some arbitrary standard is the worst type of elitism.

Let me get hypothetical on you, since you seem to have no problem with doing so. Let us imagine that both you and your partner pass the gentic screening you think is necessary, and that you actually decide to procreate. It turns out that the lab actually screwed up, and your child is born with a genetic defect, like hemophilia. What are you going to do then? Do you have the right to kill that child because the lab screwed up? Let us even imagine that somehow you end up falling in love with your genetically perfect mate, are you going to divorce her and find someone else because the lab screwed up?

No matter how you try to dress it up, eugenics is wrong.

Where a Good "Quality of Life" = no genetically passed abmormalities that appear more than 50% of the time in the progeny of the carriers

Does that suit?
Not really.

Mutations are abnormalities by definition.

Not all such abnormalities are bad.

Some are good; such mutations are part of evolution.

I suppose so, since it IS rather "negative" to remove the abnormalities from the stock to start with.

But here's a prime example of why I would be in favor of it:

My bro & sis-in-law. He has a condition that is ALWAYS passed on to the progeny, which begins with legal blindness and ends with complete blindness. They had 3 children, and all three carry this gene AND are affected by it.

To my way of thinking, the parents were remiss and could almost be accused of child abuse for their part in the creation of these "malformed" kids, and to allow those children to then go on to procreate, themselves, is an absolute crime against THEIR children.

I would hope that most sterilization would be Voluntary, since the premise is logical, but folks are always going to scream about "their" rights, especially when "their" rights negatively affect others "rights."

UNTIL a solution can be found, to repair the damaged allele(s),

yes, I think it should be mandatory for anyone carrying that/those allele(s) to undergo sterilization.

In one way, it sounds so facist, but looked at from the other side of the coin, it appears to be empathetic/sympathetic to the OTHERs that are involved in protecting THEIR "rights."

Thank you for proving my point. Should we kill these children to ensure that they do not burden society by being blind? If not, how do you justify sterilization? If the purpose of life is to reproduce, you are effectively declaring that you are God, and have the right to make decisions for others based on your standards.

Does that suit?

It doesn't suit me, and my guess is it doesn't suit John Nash either.

Who gets to decide what is beautiful? Are you going to eliminate certain characteristics that are part of a racial identity simply because you find them unattractive?

I repeat for emphasis, eugenics is simply racism wrapped in pseudo-scientific language to make it prettier, but it still smells the same.

WHOA! Hold everything!

:rofl:

That was just an example! ;)

What the intended outcome is to be is that we eliminate these genetically passed ABNORMALITIES, such as the Anirida I spoke about.

Putting a '+' in front of eugenics does not change the facts, it is wrong

You keep sayng it's 'wrong' you can't show how giving my child the best form I can and taking measures to ensure (s)he doesn't have Hemophilia, Tay Sachs Disease, or some other debilitating illness is 'wrong'.

Is it wrong to get my child immunized to prevent smallpox, too, since you're railing against compassion, love, and preventative medicine?

banana1.jpg

>

1250861778510.jpg

Keep trying.

We have effectively wiped out ever species of banana except the one that is most commercially profitable, and that is in serious danger as a result of disease. Great example there.

Genetics is not an exact science, which is why every black cow is not an Angus. Mutations occur, if you don't believe me try googling evolution.

Forum List

Back