(+)Eugenics, Yea or Nay?

WHOA! Hold everything!

:rofl:

That was just an example! ;)

What the intended outcome is to be is that we eliminate these genetically passed ABNORMALITIES, such as the Anirida I spoke about.

Still wrong. You are denyong people the right to have children because you don't think the children they will have deserve to live. How is that right?

nay! It might help wipe out diseases, but I don't think messing with nature or genetics is a good idea.

Why? You don't like what we've done with the banana?

banana1.jpg

>

1250861778510.jpg

What about what we've done with Corn?

You don't think the Rottweiler, the Pudelhund, the Husky, and other working breeds have made our lives easier? Those are mere plants and beasts, bred for our use with little (if any) thought for their own benefit, yet they were smashing successes. There are problems, and some breeds, especially toy breeds, have more problems stemming from the fact that those who bred them weren't concerned with their own good as we would be concerned with our own when turning our efforts towards improving our own form.

Image what we might achieve if we turn our efforts and science to improving our own selves for our own benefit.

Also, picking and choosing what traits your child will have, just seems wrong to me.
Really? So given the choice between your child having Sickle Cell Anemia (or flipping a coin to find out) and your child enjoying heterogeneity and some resistance to malaria, it'd be 'wrong' to give your child malarial resistance and ensure (s)he doesn't suffer Sickle Cell Anemia?

Have you no compression or love for your child?

Keep trying.

We have effectively wiped out ever species of banana except the one that is most commercially profitable, and that is in serious danger as a result of disease. Great example there.

Genetics is not an exact science, which is why every black cow is not an Angus. Mutations occur, if you don't believe me try googling evolution.
Hey, look, you caught the late bus!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/2431496-post33.html

Putting a '+' in front of eugenics does not change the facts, it is wrong

You keep sayng it's 'wrong' you can't show how giving my child the best form I can and taking measures to ensure (s)he doesn't have Hemophilia, Tay Sachs Disease, or some other debilitating illness is 'wrong'.

Is it wrong to get my child immunized to prevent smallpox, too, since you're railing against compassion, love, and preventative medicine?

You keep trying to dress it up in pretty clothing, and it does not fly.

Address the issues I already raised. What if, despite all the testing, someone is born with one of these genetic defects? After all, labs are imperfect and make mistakes, it is inevitable that it will happen. Does your perfect society simply kill off the mistakes?

You are talking about raising false hopes and holding people to impossible standards. It sounds great, but it doesn't work in the real world.

Negative Eugenics: Kill or euthanize them

Positive Eugenics: Use current or future genetic knowledge to ensure their children do not inherit the condition.

Which do you support?

Positive Eugenics, but of course!

The problem with that line of argument is that it quickly becomes quite grey. If the State should intervene and prevent their reproduction in this instance, then what of other instances where a genetic disadvantage will lead to hardship? What of Down's? Then, what if can be shown that they will pass poor eyesight, mixed ethnicity,or something else that might create hardship merely based on social factors? That line of argument quickly leads to dark places and history shows us that once those paces are reached, truly horrendous things occur. It quickly becomes not only negative eugenics, but racial hygiene and a campaign to wipe out the Lower Tenth. We saw this, for instance, in California in the 20's and also in the Ozarks, where children were forcefully sterilized

NOT vague, might make life a little tough ... well ... shit.

REAL disorders that cause MAJOR problems and suffering, for all concerned.

ONE type of Downs Syndrome IS genetically passed down:

The cause of Down syndrome is one of three types of abnormal cell division involving chromosome 21. All three abnormalities result in extra genetic material from chromosome 21, which is responsible for the characteristic features and developmental problems of Down syndrome. The three genetic variations that can cause Down syndrome include:

* Trisomy 21. More than 90 percent of cases of Down syndrome are caused by trisomy 21. A child with trisomy 21 has three copies of chromosome 21 — instead of the usual two copies — in all of his or her cells. This form of Down syndrome is caused by abnormal cell division during the development of the sperm cell or the egg cell.
* Mosaic Down syndrome. In this rare form of Down syndrome, children have some cells with an extra copy of chromosome 21. This mosaic of normal and abnormal cells is caused by abnormal cell division after fertilization.

* Translocation Down syndrome. Down syndrome can also occur when part of chromosome 21 becomes attached (translocated) onto another chromosome, before or at conception. Children with translocation Down syndrome have the usual two copies of chromosome 21, but they also have additional material from chromosome 21 stuck to the translocated chromosome. This form of Down syndrome is uncommon.

There are no known behavioral or environmental factors that cause Down syndrome.

In those cases, the carriers should be sterilized to prevent further iterations of the abnormality.

The problem, again, is that such a line of argument has always turned into 'desirability' and such movements taken over by 'scientific racists' advocating 'racial hygiene'

Desirability is something too vague to try to pin down, and could most assuredly NOT be used in these types of determinations.

Making the entirety of humankind HEALTHIER should be the starting point,

NOT making it bear "desirable" characteristics, after all.

Last edited:
Improving the quality of life leaves a lot of really bad ideas that progressives love to spout on the table.

Improving the quality of life leaves a lot of really bad ideas that progressives love to spout on the table.

and

Improving the quality of life leaves a lot of really bad ideas that conservatives and libertarians love to spout on the table.

I oppose the ideas of all the do gooders who have all their ideas dictated by their ideologies.

It is why I am a liberal.

Address the issues I already raised. What if, despite all the testing, someone is born with one of these genetic defects?

What about it? People die despite out best medicine, diseases stll exist- does that mean we shouldn't try?
After all, labs are imperfect and make mistakes, it is inevitable that it will happen. Does your perfect society simply kill off the mistakes?
You're a fucking moron.

I already debunked your bullshit

Care to clarify and present your actual objections rather than simply throwing around some Beckish bullshit? Let me guess, empathy leads us to bad places because Hitler killed the Jews out of empathy :rolleyes:

Did I say anything about empathy?

You started walking down the road to Becksm; I just cut you off at the pass.
And?
Right... you don't seem to really know much about what he did or why.
Eugenics has always been about improving genes through various programs, and the best way to to that has always been eliminating defective stock from the gene pool
Fail. Even if you remove 'defective stock', you've done nothing. The only way to increase the prevalence of favorable traits is by, you know- spreading them around. See: selective breeding.

Now, show me where the definition,

The use of genetic technologies that we possess or shall come to possess to enable parents to determine what genetic traits are passed on to their children, with the stated aims and goals of eliminating genetic disease, improving the human form (eg:restoring the human ability to synthesize our own vitamin C, should it prove possible to repair the damaged pseudogene), prolonging life, and improving the quality of human life.

and killing someone is the only 100% effective way to remove them from the gene pool. But keep thinking eugenics is a new idea, or that it is something pretty. It isn't, it is just another form of racism, only dressed in pretty clothes and a psuedo-scientific justification.

says anything about ' eliminating defective stock from the gene pool'. Also, learn to read, as the title clearly says '(+) Eugenics...'.

+ is commonly used to stand for 'positive'. Hence, the thread title reads as Positive Eugenics..' If you don't know what positive and negative eugenics are, you really shouldn't try to tell other people about the matter.
But keep thinking eugenics is a new idea, or that it is something pretty. It isn't, it is just another form of racism
Right... because wanting to ensure that if I or my partner possess an allele that, if inherited, could cause our child to suffer from a horrible disease, that that chld does not iunherit that particular allele, is 'racist'. :rolleyes: Wanting to ensue that, if my partner and I are both benefit from heterozygouse advantage, that our child does as well, instead of that child suffering from Tay Sachs or hemophilia is 'racist'.

Right...
=

Last edited:

ONE type of Downs Syndrome IS genetically passed down:

* Translocation Down syndrome. Down syndrome can also occur when part of chromosome 21 becomes attached (translocated) onto another chromosome, before or at conception. Children with translocation Down syndrome have the usual two copies of chromosome 21, but they also have additional material from chromosome 21 stuck to the translocated chromosome. This form of Down syndrome is uncommon.

There are no known behavioral or environmental factors that cause Down syndrome.
In those cases, the carriers should be sterilized to prevent further iterations of the abnormality.

So you're back to negative eugenics... compulsory negative eugenics, at that...

Positive eugenics would simply replace the gene with a 'known good' or repair it when the couple decided to have a child.

Where eugenics is defined for the sake of this discussion as:
The use of genetic technologies that we possess or shall come to possess to enable parents to determine what genetic traits are passed on to their children, with the stated aims and goals of eliminating genetic disease, improving the human form (eg:restoring the human ability to synthesize our own vitamin C, should it prove possible to repair the damaged pseudogene), prolonging life, and improving the quality of human life.

Yes, with riders.

Prolonging and preserving life is not always the best thing. Quantity of life is not always quality of life.

Thank you for proving my point. Should we kill these children to ensure that they do not burden society by being blind? If not, how do you justify sterilization? If the purpose of life is to reproduce, you are effectively declaring that you are God, and have the right to make decisions for others based on your standards.

Why are you so hung up on KILLING everything???

:tongue:

Hell, NO, we wouldn't kill them! If our society was such, THEY would care about their progeny and Voluntarily have themselves sterilized.

Why would they WANT to disable their children, even before the baby was BORN??

I mean, it sort of goes without saying (I would have thought) that we'd be ACTIVELY researching ways to CHANGE this abnormality...

So you're back to negative eugenics... compulsory negative eugenics, at that...

Positive eugenics would simply replace the gene with a 'known good' or repair it when the couple decided to have a child.

No shit, Sherlock.

NOW, what do you do in the meantime?

You've decided that this, + Eugenics, is a Good Thang.

So do you just sit back and hope for the best UNTIL something can be done,

or do you TRY to prevent the pain and suffering you've already seen,

that made + Eugenics attractive to you in the first place?

If it's a Bad Idea to have folks saddled with major malfunctional genetic abnormalities once + Eugenics comes into play,

why isn't it a Bad Idea to have it happen BEFORE-hand,

and do ALL WE CAN, with what we DO know, to prevent the suffering and/or pain caused by this?

Last edited:
We have effectively wiped out ever species of banana except the one that is most commercially profitable, and that is in serious danger as a result of disease. Great example there.

:eusa_eh:

Extraordinary Things About Bananas

Even if it were true, what would you point be?

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-100960421.html
allAfrica.com: Africa: Diseases Threaten to Wipe Out Bananas in Sub-Saharan Region

It is true, and the point is that mutations happen in other species, and by selecting 'favorable' traits you sometimes eliminate other traits that might be necessary to deal with other diseases. We are not capable of thinking of everything, and cannot predict the future.

and

Improving the quality of life leaves a lot of really bad ideas that conservatives and libertarians love to spout on the table.

I oppose the ideas of all the do gooders who have all their ideas dictated by their ideologies.

It is why I am a liberal.

I took exception to the quality of life phrase, and focused on progressives, but you are correct, everyone has bad ideas about improving the quality of life, even liberals.

Errr...

Oops!

On second thought, that WOULD be a viable option, come to think of it...

:clap2:

(don't look now, but i gave you The Clap! ;) )

Seriously, though, it DOES leave the innocent unborn to suffer the consequences of illogical behaviour.

Last edited:
Thank you for proving my point. Should we kill these children to ensure that they do not burden society by being blind? If not, how do you justify sterilization? If the purpose of life is to reproduce, you are effectively declaring that you are God, and have the right to make decisions for others based on your standards.

Why are you so hung up on KILLING everything???

:tongue:

Hell, NO, we wouldn't kill them! If our society was such, THEY would care about their progeny and Voluntarily have themselves sterilized.

Why would they WANT to disable their children, even before the baby was BORN??

I mean, it sort of goes without saying (I would have thought) that we'd be ACTIVELY researching ways to CHANGE this abnormality...

Genius is an abnormality, should we eliminate it?

Abnormality is how we evolve, and adapt to new environments.

Address the issues I already raised. What if, despite all the testing, someone is born with one of these genetic defects?

What about it? People die despite out best medicine, diseases stll exist- does that mean we shouldn't try?
After all, labs are imperfect and make mistakes, it is inevitable that it will happen. Does your perfect society simply kill off the mistakes?
You're a fucking moron.

I already debunked your bullshit

No, you ignored it, and still are.

Forum List

Back