Ethics: Is Abortion Taking A Life?

Is Abortion Taking A Life?

• Yes

Votes: 35 76.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters
Let's use the following definition of "life" for discussion purposes:

the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.

That being said, is it your stance that a human embryo is life ?

An embryo has none of those capacities only the potential for them

If you want to define life as any biological cell then every time you take a crap you are murdering millions of lives
I killed my sperm!

Dude doesn't have much of a sense of humor. :D

Let's use the following definition of "life" for discussion purposes:

the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.

That being said, is it your stance that a human embryo is life ?

An embryo has none of those capacities only the potential for them

If you want to define life as any biological cell then every time you take a crap you are murdering millions of lives
I killed my sperm!

Dude doesn't have much of a sense of humor. :D
Most don't, until cocktail hour...

Of course it is. The parsing is just that- parsing.

If a fetus is killed in, say, an assault on the mother, is the perpetrator charged with murder?

We like to make ourselves feel good about the things we do, so we redefine anything that disturbs us. New terms, New definitions, New framing for an argument, so abortion isn't taking a life as long as mom decides to do it and we can carry on in our comfy cocoon telling ourselves that what is clearly so ain't so....

The bright light you see at the end of your life is from your head heading towards the opening of a vagina. So no, you're not alive until born.

Alive in what way? Obviously, women have c-sections - not ever baby comes out of the vagina.
Then the light at death that you see is the light of you coming out of the C section. Same thing.
Alive as in born.

This is about definition of abortion and life.

Is a sperm alive? Can it ever be self sustaining?
How is the life a sperm different from that of an embryo?
At what exact point do we become "human".
If you kill a child in the womb 5 minutes before birth it's murder, correct? The rationale is because it is viable OUTSIDE the womb.

Would you agree with the following statement? Yes or No?

Human life begins at conception.

Why or why not?

If you kill a child in the womb 5 minutes before birth it's murder, correct? The rationale is because it is viable OUTSIDE the womb.

Why or why not?
Does it bother you to eat dead animals?

I just think it's something people should think about.
I think most people here already have a belief, a stance, and argument.

I think people on both sides take it too far.
We live in the US and doing so, have to abide by and realize the laws are what they are.
If we find them that offensive, we have a choice to stay or go.

Why or why not?

No.

Why or why not?

No.
The sanctity of life only extends to your uterus?

Why or why not?

No.
The sanctity of life only extends to your uterus?

well now that is a question of your beliefs.... that gets into a personal philosophy and/or can be a religious belief....

Personally? I don't think it's nice to be cruel to animals. I think they are here for sustenance.
We can live without eating animals - and if you feel it's wrong to eat a living animal, you should be a vegetarian.
I have no issue with that - I just don't feel that way, no.

Maybe.

I look at a baby at birth and I have no trouble accepting that it is a human being deserving of all the protections society bestows. I look at a fertilized egg and I see no heart, brain, etc., I see a blueprint for a human being, not a human being. A blueprint is not a house, you can't live in it, so tearing it up and starting again is just fine. Somewhere between that egg and birth an arbitrary line is crossed that can be discussed and maybe even a consensus arrived at but to claim there is only one answer and you have it is pure arrogance and ignorance.

It is up to each individual. If you see your fertilized egg as your baby, that is fine. Keep your baby. Other women do not see it that way, and you cannot force them to become parents against their will.

I would say heartbeat=life, but since this takes place around 3 weeks after conception....many women don't even realize they are pregnant yet and there are some women that never do know they are pregnant until delivery.

My heart says no to abortion as pro-life. But I also know that isn't always an option.

according to traditional religions - yes, abortion is a murder. No matter what women think about it.

Forum List

Back