Eric Holder: Voter ID laws hurt minorities

No Eric, voter ID's prevent fraud. Of course Democrats have come to rely on votes from dead people, ineligible people and illegal aliens. This poses a problem for them.

Eric Holder: Voter ID laws hurt minorities - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

I heard something today on the radio...and when i say it here many will know
what show I was listening to.

In local union elections the union members need to produce
a valid picture ID to vote...

So if there are one,many,some who refuse to comply with the new regs..

:eusa_boohoo:

What's gravy for the unions....
There is no valid legal why photo ID should not be required. There are loads of reasons why they shouldn't be required. I figure, it it's good enough criteria for a union vote, it should be perfectly fine for local, state, or federal elections. Nicht wahr?

Voter ID laws will disfranchise (X) amount of voters and prevent (Y) amount of fraudulent votes. Neither number is zero and there is no way of knowing the exact amounts. To my way of thinking any voting rule that results in (X>0) is not worth the price of (Y=0).

voter id laws disenfranchise no one.

Is this fair?

Wisconsin Voter ID Law Ensnares Teacher In Rural Part Of State

WASHINGTON -- Rita Platt is a teacher in Wisconsin who moved to the small town of Osceola last year. She has gone through FBI background checks in the four states where she has been certified to teach, has her Social Security card, held a Wisconsin driver's license from 1984-1998 and currently has a driver's license from Iowa.

Despite all this, she is currently ineligible to vote in the 2012 elections in Wisconsin.

Platt is one of the growing number of people ensnared by the state's new voter ID law, which requires residents to show valid photo ID when they go to the polls to vote. While Platt is sure she'll be able to get her new license in time for the next elections, she's frustrated that in the end, she will be forced to pay more than $100, endure bureaucratic headaches and take time off from work in order to be able to carry out one of her constitutional rights.

Osceola is a small town in northwestern Wisconsin with a population of under 3,000 people. The two closest Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) offices are in the towns of Amery and New Richmond, which are approximately 30 minutes away, and rarely open. The Amery DMV is open from 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on only the first Tuesday of every month. The New Richmond DMV is open during the same hours on the second Tuesday of every month.

The closest DMV open full-time during business hours is the one in Hudson, a city about an hour south of Osceola. Platt and her boyfriend, who also needed to get a new license, went there on their day off from work, only to find out that the DMV's computer system was down that day.

"So we drove an hour there. No matter what documentation we had had, we couldn't have gotten our driver's licenses, which is a huge problem, because that's what -- $15 in gas both ways? We're upper-middle class, so we're doing fine. We're both teachers ... But for some folks, that's an impossibility. So you have to have a car, you have to have enough gas to drive an hour there," she told The Huffington Post, outlining some of the difficulties involved in getting ID in order to vote.

Moreover, neither Platt nor her boyfriend, John Wolfe, had a certified birth certificate or a current passport, one of which is required to obtain a new license.

"My passport is long-expired," said Platt. "I have two small children. It costs money to re-up your passport, and I'm not going to be traveling anywhere until my kids are older ... And I've moved every two years my whole adult life. I'm 42. I have no idea where my certified birth certificate is. I'm not sure I ever even had one, since I've never needed one before."

"It's not that I can't get my voter ID. I will get mine," added Platt, who said she is very active politically and has never missed an election. "It's just that there's a huge poll tax that's going to be upwards of $100 by the time I'm done."

Free Wisconsin ID cards for voting
A free ID card is available under Wisconsin law to anyone who:

will be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election and;
requests an ID card for the purpose of voting.

Obtaining an ID card - Wisconsin Department of Transportation

even without an id, one can still cast a provisional ballot under the law.

poll tax my ass

I’d have a modicum more respect for republicans and conservatives if they’d at least be honest and admit that ‘voter fraud’ is a myth and smokescreen and their efforts with regard to ID requirements and cutting back on voting days is designed to be politically advantageous to the GOP.

What the GOP is doing is not illegal – unethical and immoral, perhaps, but not illegal – and has noting to do with race or racism.

It has to do with their obsession of, and thirst for, power. Republicans and conservatives have equal contempt for low-income, working-class Americans, regardless of race, gender, or ethnicity.

I’d have a modicum more respect for republicans and conservatives if they’d at least be honest and admit that ‘voter fraud’ is a myth and smokescreen and their efforts with regard to ID requirements and cutting back on voting days is designed to be politically advantageous to the GOP.

What the GOP is doing is not illegal – unethical and immoral, perhaps, but not illegal – and has noting to do with race or racism.

It has to do with their obsession of, and thirst for, power. Republicans and conservatives have equal contempt for low-income, working-class Americans, regardless of race, gender, or ethnicity.

Are you fucking retarded??

ACORN approached me on the street in 08' and offered me a fucking sandwich if I voted democrat...

What the fuck...

Don't even attempt to spin voter fraud...

In what universe is it acceptable to pay someone with a nasty sandwich to vote??

I was just walking down the street too...

Just remember....

Teach-a-man-to-fish-democrat-voter.jpg

Force all voters to prove they are who they say they are......Democrats lose more elections.

Never mind

If you can't prove it... don't SAY it.

What? Because I don't keep a list of people who have trouble getting voter IDs, the problem doesn't exist? You strike me as the type of person who sticks your fingers in your ears and makes noises when someone says something that you don't want to hear or refuse to believe.

And you strike me as the kind of person that is either too stupid, or too dishonest to try using actual facts to back up their claims.

I know which one I think you are.

Is this fair?

WASHINGTON -- Rita Platt is a teacher in Wisconsin who moved to the small town of Osceola last year. She has gone through FBI background checks in the four states where she has been certified to teach, has her Social Security card, held a Wisconsin driver's license from 1984-1998 and currently has a driver's license from Iowa.

Despite all this, she is currently ineligible to vote in the 2012 elections in Wisconsin.

Platt is one of the growing number of people ensnared by the state's new voter ID law, which requires residents to show valid photo ID when they go to the polls to vote. While Platt is sure she'll be able to get her new license in time for the next elections, she's frustrated that in the end, she will be forced to pay more than $100, endure bureaucratic headaches and take time off from work in order to be able to carry out one of her constitutional rights.

Osceola is a small town in northwestern Wisconsin with a population of under 3,000 people. The two closest Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) offices are in the towns of Amery and New Richmond, which are approximately 30 minutes away, and rarely open. The Amery DMV is open from 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on only the first Tuesday of every month. The New Richmond DMV is open during the same hours on the second Tuesday of every month.

The closest DMV open full-time during business hours is the one in Hudson, a city about an hour south of Osceola. Platt and her boyfriend, who also needed to get a new license, went there on their day off from work, only to find out that the DMV's computer system was down that day.

"So we drove an hour there. No matter what documentation we had had, we couldn't have gotten our driver's licenses, which is a huge problem, because that's what -- $15 in gas both ways? We're upper-middle class, so we're doing fine. We're both teachers ... But for some folks, that's an impossibility. So you have to have a car, you have to have enough gas to drive an hour there," she told The Huffington Post, outlining some of the difficulties involved in getting ID in order to vote.

Moreover, neither Platt nor her boyfriend, John Wolfe, had a certified birth certificate or a current passport, one of which is required to obtain a new license.

"My passport is long-expired," said Platt. "I have two small children. It costs money to re-up your passport, and I'm not going to be traveling anywhere until my kids are older ... And I've moved every two years my whole adult life. I'm 42. I have no idea where my certified birth certificate is. I'm not sure I ever even had one, since I've never needed one before."

"It's not that I can't get my voter ID. I will get mine," added Platt, who said she is very active politically and has never missed an election. "It's just that there's a huge poll tax that's going to be upwards of $100 by the time I'm done."

poll tax my ass

I explained that to him in post 30. He has been ignoring the fact ever since.

EVERY Voter ID law passed since the SCOTUS decision in 2008 INCLUDES a free ID provision. Every single one. Even without the ID, a provisional ballot MUST be allowed... even if the ID of the person is not established and even if their name is not on the voter rolls. All they have to do is ask.

Why hasn't Holder been arrested yet? That's a much more important question. Voter ID is a non-issue. The Democrats just want all their Illegals & Felons to be allowed to vote legally. That's all this is about. Make no mistake about it. Requiring a valid ID to vote is not 'racist' in any way. That's a lie being pushed by the usual suspects. Now,why hasn't Holder been arrested yet?

Much, much easier to deflect...

Is this fair?

poll tax my ass

EVERY Voter ID law passed since the SCOTUS decision in 2008 INCLUDES a free ID provision. Every single one. Even without the ID, a provisional ballot MUST be allowed... even if the ID of the person is not established and even if their name is not on the voter rolls. All they have to do is ask.

Idiot do you realize you can just vote in sanctuary cities/states like Illinois/Chicago with no ID???

In theory these progressive fools around here could register to vote under numerous pseudonyms and vote numerous times...

i'm sure they're thrilled by the prospect.

PHP:
Ha ha! College students? They can't get a soda from a machine without an I.D.

And in some states, they can no longer vote with a college ID. Say a new student moves in from out of state. He plans on living in his new state for four years while attending college. He has a college ID, but doesn't have a DL or ID for the state that he now resides in. Why shouldn't that student be able to vote with his college ID? He did before. Does that seem fair to you?

If a new student moves in from out of state and registers to vote in that state then he is required by law to obtain a drivers license from that state. If he chooses not to do so he can vote by absentee ballot in his home state.

poll tax my ass

Idiot do you realize you can just vote in sanctuary cities/states like Illinois/Chicago with no ID???

In theory these progressive fools around here could register to vote under numerous pseudonyms and vote numerous times...

Both of these people are breaking the law...they've moved to a new State and have knowingly continued to drive on their old State driver's license for a year. Now, I don't know what the time limit is on licenses in Wisconsin but most States I've lived in the time limit is between 30 and 90 days. Forget about being legal to vote...they aren't even legal DRIVING to vote.

Last edited:
neither side is gonna like my proposal cause they both like confusion and difficulties for voting, I say you vote when you submit your taxes. Right there on your tax form, your local election dept or your state or your fed provide you with the voter form to be included with your taxes. We dont need fancy computers, dont need polling sites, but we can still retain the workers counting the votes. Win Win.

neither side is gonna like my proposal cause they both like confusion and difficulties for voting, I say you vote when you submit your taxes. Right there on your tax form, your local election dept or your state or your fed provide you with the voter form to be included with your taxes. We dont need fancy computers, dont need polling sites, but we can still retain the workers counting the votes. Win Win.

:cuckoo:

Both of these people are breaking the law...they've moved to a new State and have knowingly continued to drive on their old State driver's license for a year. Now, I don't know what the time limit is on licenses in Wisconsin but most States I've lived in the time limit is between 30 and 90 days. Forget about being legal to vote...they aren't even legal DRIVING to vote.

Why does a license matter if its not required to vote???

No Eric, voter ID's prevent fraud.

No they don't. Every Friday and Saturday night thousands of people under the age of 21 use a fake ID to enter a bar - successfully. You think the average temporary poll worker is going to have a better eye for spotting fakes than an experienced doorman who works at a bar that could loose their license if they let an underage drinker in?

That's laughable!
Of course Democrats have come to rely on votes from dead people, ineligible people and illegal aliens. This poses a problem for them.
Sure. If you say its true, it must be.

I don't know how it is where you come from but in my state you can't be arrested for a misdemeanor or lesser offense while en route to or from voting.

Then you'd have to pay taxes to vote.

Forum List

Back