Eric Holder: Voter ID laws hurt minorities

Voter ID laws will disfranchise (X) amount of voters and prevent (Y) amount of fraudulent votes. Neither number is zero and there is no way of knowing the exact amounts. To my way of thinking any voting rule that results in (X>0) is not worth the price of (Y=0).

Why?

Maybe I should be even clearer, the cost of robbing someone of their vote on a mere technicality is not worth the unquantifiable benefit of preventing fraudulent votes, not sure it is the problem some people make it out to be.

Obviously it is since there are so many minorities in the federal government <sarcasm>.

If you don't have an ID...why don't you? Shit...I've had one since I was 13 and I have no problem locating it inside of 10 seconds on most mornings. Why do some people have a problem locating it on Election Day?

As for what it hurts...well...that is tough. I had to register to vote. I would not expect to be allowed to vote without presenting my registration card. I don't think that anybody should have such expectation. Else...why have the card?

As for the wingnut "minority angle", the proof speaks otherwise.

Voter ID laws will disfranchise (X) amount of voters and prevent (Y) amount of fraudulent votes. Neither number is zero and there is no way of knowing the exact amounts. To my way of thinking any voting rule that results in (X>0) is not worth the price of (Y=0).

Why?

Maybe I should be even clearer, the cost of robbing someone of their vote on a mere technicality is not worth the unquantifiable benefit of preventing fraudulent votes, not sure it is the problem some people make it out to be.

You're argument doesn't make any kind of resonable sense. If you have a small election and it is decided by two dead people who somehow magically figured out how to vote from beyond the grave, how can that not be a quantifiable event?

Voting is our most important function as citizens.

Anyone who think a miniority can't get an ID is full of shit.

You need an ID to do most things today and most people have an ID. NO biggie. Just show it and your registration card before you vote. Ain't rocket science.

The ID will make sure your who you say you are and that your eligible to vote. I've been doing it since I was 18.

Doug Ross's reaction: "Needle on Hypocrisy-Meter Breaks Off."

At some point during all these years of covering the voter-ID issue, you would think that someone in the press, much of which is unionized (specifically the Associated Press, which has the credit for the photo above), would have noted that unions at least occasionally and likely far more than occasionally require that members present a photo ID to be able to cast their ballots. Nope. How typically irresponsible.

Read more: Union Election Requires Photo ID; Politico Fails to Note Irony | NewsBusters.org

IAMvoteBoeingIDrequired1211.jpg

Racist I.A.M., trying to prevent minorities and college students from voting.... :rolleyes:

PHP:
Ha ha! College students? They can't get a soda from a machine without an I.D.

And in some states, they can no longer vote with a college ID. Say a new student moves in from out of state. He plans on living in his new state for four years while attending college. He has a college ID, but doesn't have a DL or ID for the state that he now resides in. Why shouldn't that student be able to vote with his college ID? He did before. Does that seem fair to you?

Is this fair?

Wisconsin Voter ID Law Ensnares Teacher In Rural Part Of State

WASHINGTON -- Rita Platt is a teacher in Wisconsin who moved to the small town of Osceola last year. She has gone through FBI background checks in the four states where she has been certified to teach, has her Social Security card, held a Wisconsin driver's license from 1984-1998 and currently has a driver's license from Iowa.

Despite all this, she is currently ineligible to vote in the 2012 elections in Wisconsin.

Platt is one of the growing number of people ensnared by the state's new voter ID law, which requires residents to show valid photo ID when they go to the polls to vote. While Platt is sure she'll be able to get her new license in time for the next elections, she's frustrated that in the end, she will be forced to pay more than $100, endure bureaucratic headaches and take time off from work in order to be able to carry out one of her constitutional rights.

Osceola is a small town in northwestern Wisconsin with a population of under 3,000 people. The two closest Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) offices are in the towns of Amery and New Richmond, which are approximately 30 minutes away, and rarely open. The Amery DMV is open from 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on only the first Tuesday of every month. The New Richmond DMV is open during the same hours on the second Tuesday of every month.

The closest DMV open full-time during business hours is the one in Hudson, a city about an hour south of Osceola. Platt and her boyfriend, who also needed to get a new license, went there on their day off from work, only to find out that the DMV's computer system was down that day.

"So we drove an hour there. No matter what documentation we had had, we couldn't have gotten our driver's licenses, which is a huge problem, because that's what -- $15 in gas both ways? We're upper-middle class, so we're doing fine. We're both teachers ... But for some folks, that's an impossibility. So you have to have a car, you have to have enough gas to drive an hour there," she told The Huffington Post, outlining some of the difficulties involved in getting ID in order to vote.

Moreover, neither Platt nor her boyfriend, John Wolfe, had a certified birth certificate or a current passport, one of which is required to obtain a new license.

"My passport is long-expired," said Platt. "I have two small children. It costs money to re-up your passport, and I'm not going to be traveling anywhere until my kids are older ... And I've moved every two years my whole adult life. I'm 42. I have no idea where my certified birth certificate is. I'm not sure I ever even had one, since I've never needed one before."

"It's not that I can't get my voter ID. I will get mine," added Platt, who said she is very active politically and has never missed an election. "It's just that there's a huge poll tax that's going to be upwards of $100 by the time I'm done."

Poll tax my left nut. She'd need to go there and spend that money to get her drivers license anyway, dipshit.

And she would NOT be ineligable. Even the Wisconsin law allows for a provisional ballot to be cast on election day, EVEN if you have no ID, and EVEN if you're not listed on the voter register.

FAIL.

No Eric, voter ID's prevent fraud. Of course Democrats have come to rely on votes from dead people, ineligible people and illegal aliens. This poses a problem for them.

Eric Holder: Voter ID laws hurt minorities - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

You way off base about voter fraud. Both Bush and Obama have conducted investigations into voter fraud and they turned up with nothing. VOTER FRAUD IS NOT AN ISSUE. Has their been cases of voter fraud? Of course, but it's so rare that it does not need to be controlled.

This Republican measure is completely political.

one case of voter fraud is too many. it's just that simple.

Is this fair?

Wisconsin Voter ID Law Ensnares Teacher In Rural Part Of State

WASHINGTON -- Rita Platt is a teacher in Wisconsin who moved to the small town of Osceola last year. She has gone through FBI background checks in the four states where she has been certified to teach, has her Social Security card, held a Wisconsin driver's license from 1984-1998 and currently has a driver's license from Iowa.

Despite all this, she is currently ineligible to vote in the 2012 elections in Wisconsin.

Platt is one of the growing number of people ensnared by the state's new voter ID law, which requires residents to show valid photo ID when they go to the polls to vote. While Platt is sure she'll be able to get her new license in time for the next elections, she's frustrated that in the end, she will be forced to pay more than $100, endure bureaucratic headaches and take time off from work in order to be able to carry out one of her constitutional rights.

Osceola is a small town in northwestern Wisconsin with a population of under 3,000 people. The two closest Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) offices are in the towns of Amery and New Richmond, which are approximately 30 minutes away, and rarely open. The Amery DMV is open from 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on only the first Tuesday of every month. The New Richmond DMV is open during the same hours on the second Tuesday of every month.

The closest DMV open full-time during business hours is the one in Hudson, a city about an hour south of Osceola. Platt and her boyfriend, who also needed to get a new license, went there on their day off from work, only to find out that the DMV's computer system was down that day.

"So we drove an hour there. No matter what documentation we had had, we couldn't have gotten our driver's licenses, which is a huge problem, because that's what -- $15 in gas both ways? We're upper-middle class, so we're doing fine. We're both teachers ... But for some folks, that's an impossibility. So you have to have a car, you have to have enough gas to drive an hour there," she told The Huffington Post, outlining some of the difficulties involved in getting ID in order to vote.

Moreover, neither Platt nor her boyfriend, John Wolfe, had a certified birth certificate or a current passport, one of which is required to obtain a new license.

"My passport is long-expired," said Platt. "I have two small children. It costs money to re-up your passport, and I'm not going to be traveling anywhere until my kids are older ... And I've moved every two years my whole adult life. I'm 42. I have no idea where my certified birth certificate is. I'm not sure I ever even had one, since I've never needed one before."

"It's not that I can't get my voter ID. I will get mine," added Platt, who said she is very active politically and has never missed an election. "It's just that there's a huge poll tax that's going to be upwards of $100 by the time I'm done."

Why is it anyone's fault but hers that she can't keep her affairs in order? She sounds like one disorganized teacher who couldn't find her ass with both hands.

The in question, ID laws limits the elderly, in particular those who don't drive, so therefore really don't need a picture ID.
A poll I saw recently via NBC/WSJ showed a 57% disapproval rating for Obama amongst Seniors..
My mother one of those Seniors who would vote against Obama, but she no longer has a picture ID because she quit driving years ago (other drivers, plus pedestrians were thrilled).
So, maybe this picture ID thing may hurt the GOP in the long run.
Just a little food for thought.

Last edited:
Is this fair?

96-year-old Chattanooga resident denied voting ID | timesfreepress.com

Dorothy Cooper is 96 but she can remember only one election when she's been eligible to vote but hasn't.

The retired domestic worker was born in a small North Georgia town before women had the right to vote. She began casting ballots in her 20s after moving to Chattanooga for work. She missed voting for John F. Kennedy in 1960 because a move to Nashville prevented her from registering in time.

So when she learned last month at a community meeting that under a new state law she'd need a photo ID to vote next year, she talked with a volunteer about how to get to a state Driver Service Center to get her free ID. But when she got there Monday with an envelope full of documents, a clerk denied her request.

That morning, Cooper slipped a rent receipt, a copy of her lease, her voter registration card and her birth certificate into a Manila envelope. Typewritten on the birth certificate was her maiden name, Dorothy Alexander.

"But I didn't have my marriage certificate," Cooper said Tuesday afternoon, and that was the reason the clerk said she was denied a free voter ID at the Cherokee Boulevard Driver Service Center.

"I don't know what difference it makes," Cooper said.

Cooper visited the state driver service center with Charline Kilpatrick, who has been working with residents to get free photo IDs. After the clerk denied Cooper's request, Kilpatrick called a state worker, explained what happened and asked if Cooper needed to return with a copy of the marriage certificate.

"The lady laughed," Kilpatrick said. "She said she's never heard of all that."

Her dilemma did end up getting resolved; but what if she hadn't pursued it further after the initial denial? Surely, you all can envision a situation where some less persistent people would have given up and not gotten a voter ID. Is it worth it to prevent one case of voter fraud?

Is this fair?

Dorothy Cooper is 96 but she can remember only one election when she's been eligible to vote but hasn't.

The retired domestic worker was born in a small North Georgia town before women had the right to vote. She began casting ballots in her 20s after moving to Chattanooga for work. She missed voting for John F. Kennedy in 1960 because a move to Nashville prevented her from registering in time.

So when she learned last month at a community meeting that under a new state law she'd need a photo ID to vote next year, she talked with a volunteer about how to get to a state Driver Service Center to get her free ID. But when she got there Monday with an envelope full of documents, a clerk denied her request.

That morning, Cooper slipped a rent receipt, a copy of her lease, her voter registration card and her birth certificate into a Manila envelope. Typewritten on the birth certificate was her maiden name, Dorothy Alexander.

"But I didn't have my marriage certificate," Cooper said Tuesday afternoon, and that was the reason the clerk said she was denied a free voter ID at the Cherokee Boulevard Driver Service Center.

Cooper visited the state driver service center with Charline Kilpatrick, who has been working with residents to get free photo IDs. After the clerk denied Cooper's request, Kilpatrick called a state worker, explained what happened and asked if Cooper needed to return with a copy of the marriage certificate.

Her dilemma did end up getting resolved; but what if she hadn't pursued it further after the initial denial? Surely, you all can envision a situation where some less persistent people would have given up and not gotten a voter ID. Is it worth it to prevent one case of voter fraud?

end dumb ass rant.

Is this fair?

end dumb ass rant.

lol, no shit, she got her id and can vote, but lets get outraged anyhow. :eusa_boohoo:

lol, no shit, she got her id and can vote, but lets get outraged anyhow. :eusa_boohoo:

Not surprisingly, you're missing the point. SHE got her ID; but there are plenty of people out there who would have given up after that fiasco. She had all of the right paperwork. It shouldn't have been a problem to begin with.

Forum List

Back