Eric Cantor's Pledge of Allegiance

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Eric Cantor's Pledge of Allegiance - Eric Cantor, R-Va. - Salon.com

Soon-to-be GOP House Majority Leader Eric Cantor met on Wednesday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu -- the same day when the actual U.S. Secretary of State met with Netanyahu -- and vowed that he and his GOP colleagues would protect and defend Israeli interests against his own Government.

Leave aside the absurdity of believing that Israel needs to be protected from the extremely deferential and devoted Obama administration. So extraordinary is Cantor's pledge that even the Jewish Telegraph Agency's Ron Kampeas -- himself a reflexive American defender of most things Israel -- was astonished, and wrote:

I can't remember an opposition leader telling a foreign leader, in a personal meeting, that he would side, as a policy, with that leader against the president. Certainly, in statements on one specific issue or another -- building in Jerusalem, or somesuch -- lawmakers have taken the sides of other nations. But to have-a-face to face and say, in general, we will take your side against the White House -- that sounds to me extraordinary.

Last night on Twitter, I wrote: "Imagine if a leading Democratic Congressman told a leader of a foreign country he'd side with them against the GOP US President" and "Imagine John Kerry, 2006, to French President Jacques Chirac: 'I'll safeguard French interests against President Bush'.

Cantor wrote: "Several leading legal authorities have made the case that [Pelosi's] recent diplomatic overtures ran afoul of the Logan Act, which makes it a felony for any American 'without authority of the United States' to communicate with a foreign government to influence that government's behavior on any disputes with the United States."

As Serwer writes: "Based on Cantor's own standard, he's just committed a felony." For Cantor, the operative term distinguishing his conduct from Pelosi's is presumably "foreign government," which -- in Cantor's mind -- applies to those with whom Pelosi met but not to those with whom Cantor met. Steve Benen correctly argues that "this is a legitimate scandal worthy of far more attention"; the fact that it won't receive any real attention tells you all you need to know. Had Cantor done this with any foreign nation other than Israel, this would easily be the leading political controversy of the week.

Not really surprised by such behavior at this point.

Actually, I can top that.

Ted Kennedy worked with the KGB to undermine Reagan.

Odd, is this thread about Ted Kennedy or Ronald Reagan? Pretty sure they're both dead so your post belongs in History. This isn't a thread about one upping the other "side" of the political spectrum like a partisan hack.

Are you going to criticize Cantor, or just continue to deflect like the partisan hack you've shown yourself to be thus far in this thread? Using Cantor's own words, he committed a felony, should he not be charged, tried, and prosecuted?

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Odd, is this thread about Ted Kennedy or Ronald Reagan? Pretty sure they're both dead so your post belongs in History. This isn't a thread about one upping the other "side" of the political spectrum like a partisan hack.

Are you going to criticize Cantor, or just continue to deflect like the partisan hack you've shown yourself to be thus far in this thread? Using Cantor's own words, he committed a felony, should he not be charged, tried, and prosecuted?

since you're not a partisan hack, start a thread that denigrates a lefty for once.

since you're not a partisan hack, start a thread that denigrates a lefty for once.

I have before. Problem with starting a thread about a relevant news story is being the first one to make the thread. Wouldn't want to give myself or you more work by having to merge threads. :lol:

Tell you what, post a direct quote of what Cantor actually said, instead of a third generation opinion of what he actually said. Because the original Politico article which was linked to by thinkprogress.org which was linked to by Salon disputed that interpretation.

UnAmerican anti-patriots like Revere give their best TWAT (Tit With A Tat), and are not interested in saving America, just raping it.

"I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction" -- Hussein "Let Iran go Nuclear" Obama

Yes, yes. Cantor should be charged, tried and prosecuted. Go for it. Let us know how it turns out.

Here is what the original Politico article said, before thinkprogress jerked it off, and salon jerked it off.

Veteran observer of U.S.-Israeli relations Ron Kampeas said he found that statement "an eyebrow-raiser."

"I can't remember an opposition leader telling a foreign leader, in a personal meeting, that he would side, as a policy, with that leader against the president," Kampeas wrote at JTA's blog -- an interpretation which Cantor's office later disputed to Kampeas. (For my part, I detected in Cantor's statement on the meeting an effort as well to be a bit more restrained and statesman-like -- the nod to the United Nations -- than the usual partisan campaign fare of a hardcharging politico now moving into a Congressional majority leadership position that may require more diplomatic guidance than he needed as minority whip.)

http://m.jta.org/blogs/article/politics/2010/11/11/2741711/candid-cantor Edited Link

Tell you what, post a direct quote of what Cantor actually said, instead of a third generation opinion of what he actually said. Because the original Politico article which was linked to by thinkprogress.org which was linked to by Salon disputed that interpretation.

Here is a good Jew article you will understand.

Candid Cantor-UPDATE | Capital J | JTA - Jewish & Israel News

Yes, yes. Cantor should be charged, tried and prosecuted. Go for it. Let us know how it turns out.

Yes indeed, do let us know how that traitor to America ends up.

Here is a good Jew article you will understand.

Candid Cantor-UPDATE | Capital J | JTA - Jewish & Israel News

Well, Bibi met with Schumer, too. Something neither Politico or Thinkprogress or Salon mentions.

Ok, Congress is not in session, and Bibi met separately with Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.). But there's no explicitly political statement coming out of Schumer's office -- and Schumer's not Harry Reid (or Nancy Pelosi.) And I have it on good authority that as late as last week, Bibi's people were at pains to deny that such a meeting would take place.

My first post and I find a person acting with phony outrage over a statement that was tumbled through the machine of liberalism...Did he or did he not say he was going to be a check on one party rule in Washington...

serve as a check on the Administration and what has been, up until this point, one party rule in Washington.

This is outrageous, being said from one conservative to another? Where was this liberal outrage when Barry spoke poorly of the US over seas? The US has been arrogant and so forth...I'm liking this MB already :)

Where was this liberal outrage when Barry spoke poorly of the US over seas? The US has been arrogant and so forth...I'm liking this MB already :)

The US has been and is still arrogant. You should be outraged about that, not that Obama says it out loud.

And Reagan sold arms to our enemy the Iranians to finance his illegal war with Nicaragua.

Does that make any difference KOOK?

Does it make any difference that Reagan's allies, the Israelis, negotiated this agreement with the stipulation that the US hostages must be released within hours after Reagan's inauguration thus emphasizing the fact that this illegal stunt was a ploy to kill Carter's re election campaign in 1980?

The US has been and is still arrogant.

We live in and have the best country in the world. I'm just not sure how this so called arrogance has been manifested. We pay other countries A LOT of money to buy their stuff. In fact we allow other countries to penalize us for imports while we freely accept their exports. Democracy in the middle east? Saddam was a threat and now Iraq is going through its growing pains on its way to being more free and better for the people who live there...especially women...Ditto for Afghanistan. Should I mention that we are more generous and charitable, by a magnitude, than any other country. What you and Barry call arrogant, I call confidence, knowing that we Americans are good and decent people that have it so good here, that we want everyone to enjoy the same security and life we enjoy and take for granted.

Forum List

Back