Environmentalist Wackos Out to Destroy Maine's Lobster Industry

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Several companies have already pledged to stop selling Maine lobsters.

Now, Whole Foods has also decided to stop selling Maine lobsters.

All because of an unfounded claim that Right Whales get caught in the gear used to fish for the lobster.

More insane leftoid nonsense costing hard-working people their livelihoods.

Maine politicians issued a blistering statement after Whole Foods announced the that store would no longer sell lobsters caught off the coast of the New England state in response to environmentalist concerns that the fishing industry allegedly threatens a rare whale.
"We are disappointed by Whole Foods’ decision and deeply frustrated that the Marine Stewardship Council’s suspension of the lobster industry’s certificate of sustainability continues to harm the livelihoods of hardworking men and women up and down Maine’s coast," Maine Gov. Janet Mills wrote in a joint statement with Sens. Susan Collins and Angus King and Reps. Chellie Pingree and Jared Golden.
Whole Foods announced that it would stop selling lobster from the Gulf of Maine at hundreds of its stores around the country earlier this month. The company cited decisions by a pair of sustainability organizations that pulled their support for the U.S. lobster fishing industry.
Political leaders in Maine, which has the largest lobster fishing industry in the country, slammed Whole Foods' decision, arguing that no right whale has died due to Maine lobster gear and that the fishing community in the state has long worked to protect right whales.
"In an appeal to retailers just weeks ago, we outlined the facts: there has never been a right whale death attributed to Maine lobster gear; Maine lobstermen have a 150-year history of sustainability; and Maine’s lobstering community has consistently demonstrated their commitment to protecting right whales," the governor and the four other leaders in the state wrote.
A Whole Foods representative told Fox News Digital that the chain will continue selling lobsters that were caught off the Gulf of Maine under the Marine Stewardship Council's previously active certification program or were rated either "green" or "yellow" by the MBA Seafood Watch program.
"We will pause purchasing lobster from the Gulf of Maine and resume when the MSC suspension is lifted or when the MBA Seafood Watch program rating is changed to green or yellow," the Whole Foods spokesperson said.

All because of an unfounded claim that Right Whales get caught in the gear used to fish for the lobster.

Maine politicians issued a blistering statement after Whole Foods announced the that store would no longer sell lobsters caught off the coast of the New England state in response to environmentalist concerns that the fishing industry allegedly threatens a rare whale.
"We are disappointed by Whole Foods’ decision and deeply frustrated that the Marine Stewardship Council’s suspension of the lobster industry’s certificate of sustainability continues to harm the livelihoods of hardworking men and women up and down Maine’s coast," Maine Gov. Janet Mills wrote in a joint statement with Sens. Susan Collins and Angus King and Reps. Chellie Pingree and Jared Golden.
Whole Foods announced that it would stop selling lobster from the Gulf of Maine at hundreds of its stores around the country earlier this month. The company cited decisions by a pair of sustainability organizations that pulled their support for the U.S. lobster fishing industry.
Political leaders in Maine, which has the largest lobster fishing industry in the country, slammed Whole Foods' decision, arguing that no right whale has died due to Maine lobster gear and that the fishing community in the state has long worked to protect right whales.
"In an appeal to retailers just weeks ago, we outlined the facts: there has never been a right whale death attributed to Maine lobster gear; Maine lobstermen have a 150-year history of sustainability; and Maine’s lobstering community has consistently demonstrated their commitment to protecting right whales," the governor and the four other leaders in the state wrote.
A Whole Foods representative told Fox News Digital that the chain will continue selling lobsters that were caught off the Gulf of Maine under the Marine Stewardship Council's previously active certification program or were rated either "green" or "yellow" by the MBA Seafood Watch program.
"We will pause purchasing lobster from the Gulf of Maine and resume when the MSC suspension is lifted or when the MBA Seafood Watch program rating is changed to green or yellow," the Whole Foods spokesperson said.

Poor Michelle Obama will have to give up her 2-lobsters-a-day diet. Awwwww.

Personally I think that lobster meat is overrated but most people have seen vintage lobster traps that have small holes that the lobster crawls in and can't find it's way out. Are modern lobster traps big enough to trap a freaking whale? Why don't the whale preservationists deal with the real whale killers in China and Japan?

I bet the real story here is that Amazon was going to drop those lobsters anyways for not making enough money and they tacked this on for a free advertising bump

I must say....lobster is quite delicious!
Very much so. I caught one about a month ago (4 lbs) with just a fishing line. Delish!!!!

1669603614487.png

Yum yum!!!

Greg

I have never eaten whale and I never will.

I prefer fish and chicken.:)
We can't get whale meat now; haven't been able to for over thirty years. I don't miss it but most of the local catch went to dog food I think; the puppies may miss it. :www_MyEmoticons_com__shush:

I won't tell them if you don't.

Greg

We can't get whale meat now; haven't been able to for over thirty years. I don't miss it but most of the local catch went to dog food I think; the puppies may miss it. :www_MyEmoticons_com__shush:

I won't tell them if you don't.

Greg
One of those delicacies like horse meat. Some folks just don't know what they're missing...

The lobsters with claws were probably caught in the Northeast Atlantic. Tails from critters that have no claws that they call "lobsters" were probably imported from unregulated countries.

Forum List

Back