Enough B S! What is damaging in the speakers new bill?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
No talking points. Keep it based in reality. Everyone on the left claims this bill will do great harm to our country. Put your money where your taking points are and point out the specifics of why this bill is bad for our nation.

Keep in mind most Americans won't care who the author is if its a good bill. So to simply say "its not bipartisan" isn't relative.

The rating agencies like S&P basically confirmed the GOPs game plan, at least $4-trillion in spending cuts. Then let ALL of the Bush Tax Cuts expire, and we're back on the track to fiscal sanity.

The dems are simply wrong. The budget needs to be axed and axed hard. The governement needs to excise the freeloaders and get Medicare and SS back on track.

Thank you Tea Party, now you need to end tax loop-holes, subsidies, foreign aid, and go after off-shore tax cheats. DON'T WHORE FOR THE HEDGE FUNDS!!!

pelosi-

What we're trying to do is save the world from the Republican budget. We're trying to save life on this planet as we know it today."

well looks like another rapture is on the way.....:lol:

There are no real cuts in the bill. It's from the CBO baseline. It's imaginary.

The "Super Congress".

It only leaves us with the issue of the debt ceiling having to be raised again possibly by around Christmas. What some people don't seem to understand is that the Debt Ceiling is related to obligations already incurred.

The Government Accountability Office puts it nicely:

U.S. GAO - Debt Limit: Delays Create Debt Management Challenges and Increase Uncertainty in the Treasury Market

The debt limit does not control or limit the ability of the federal government to run deficits or incur obligations. Rather, it is a limit on the ability to pay obligations already incurred. While debates surrounding the debt limit may raise awareness about the federal government's current debt trajectory and may also provide Congress with an opportunity to debate the fiscal policy decisions driving that trajectory, the ability to have an immediate effect on debt levels is limited. This is because the debt reflects previously enacted tax and spending policies. Delays in raising the debt limit create debt and cash management challenges for the Treasury, and these challenges have been exacerbated in recent years by a large growth in debt.

The rating agencies like S&P basically confirmed the GOPs game plan, at least $4-trillion in spending cuts. Then let ALL of the Bush Tax Cuts expire, and we're back on the track to fiscal sanity.

The dems are simply wrong. The budget needs to be axed and axed hard. The governement needs to excise the freeloaders and get Medicare and SS back on track.

Thank you Tea Party, now you need to end tax loop-holes, subsidies, foreign aid, and go after off-shore tax cheats. DON'T WHORE FOR THE HEDGE FUNDS!!!

The only one of the stuff you mentioned the Tea Party is going to really go with you on is foreign aid. A whopping less than 1% of federal spending.

The dems are simply wrong. The budget needs to be axed and axed hard. The government needs to excise the freeloaders and get Medicare and SS back on track.

The only one of the stuff you mentioned the Tea Party is going to really go with you on is foreign aid. A whopping less than 1% of federal spending.

I just don't get why the Tea Party is whoring for the Hedge funds and tax loop holes. They would increase their popularity a lot by going after them and the off-shore guys. They are stupid not to see the low hanging fruit...

I just don't get why the Tea Party is whoring for the Hedge funds and tax loop holes. They would increase their popularity a lot by going after them and the off-shore guys. They are stupid not to see the low hanging fruit...

I'm not sure why you put any faith in the "Tea Party". They sold out on the Patriot Act for the most part. On the debt ceiling they haven't offered up anything to compromise or made any inclination whatsoever. Even our Founding Fathers saw the need for compromise.

When the GOP doesn't want to cut defense, subsidies, close tax loopholes, or raise taxes then they leave themselves not too many choices. Sure, they can cut NPR or Foreign Aid (which again makes up less than 1% of spending despite what many Republicans think) but there's only so much they can cut from there.

A WSJ poll found in the past that Tea Partiers by a 2-1 margin also didn't want to see large cuts in Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.

Not sure how they see the deficit getting cut.

• Banned
There are no real cuts in the bill. It's from the CBO baseline. It's imaginary.

The "Super Congress".

It only leaves us with the issue of the debt ceiling having to be raised again possibly by around Christmas. What some people don't seem to understand is that the Debt Ceiling is related to obligations already incurred.

The Government Accountability Office puts it nicely:

U.S. GAO - Debt Limit: Delays Create Debt Management Challenges and Increase Uncertainty in the Treasury Market

The debt limit does not control or limit the ability of the federal government to run deficits or incur obligations. Rather, it is a limit on the ability to pay obligations already incurred. While debates surrounding the debt limit may raise awareness about the federal government's current debt trajectory and may also provide Congress with an opportunity to debate the fiscal policy decisions driving that trajectory, the ability to have an immediate effect on debt levels is limited. This is because the debt reflects previously enacted tax and spending policies. Delays in raising the debt limit create debt and cash management challenges for the Treasury, and these challenges have been exacerbated in recent years by a large growth in debt.

You mean the same debt limit that's been raised 22 of the last 30 times for an average of 7 months? But now its different because O who hates the idea to begin with wants it raised on his terms and to a date specified by him?

I'm not sure why you put any faith in the "Tea Party". They sold out on the Patriot Act for the most part. On the debt ceiling they haven't offered up anything to compromise or made any inclination whatsoever. Even our Founding Fathers saw the need for compromise.

When the GOP doesn't want to cut defense, subsidies, close tax loopholes, or raise taxes then they leave themselves not too many choices. Sure, they can cut NPR or Foreign Aid (which again makes up less than 1% of spending despite what many Republicans think) but there's only so much they can cut from there.

A WSJ poll found in the past that Tea Partiers by a 2-1 margin also didn't want to see large cuts in Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.
On the debt ceiling they haven't offered up anything to compromise or made any inclination whatsoever. Even our Founding Fathers saw the need for compromise.

your opinion is noted.

define- "large cuts".

You mean the same debt limit that's been raised 22 of the last 30 times for an average of 7 months? But now its different because O who hates the idea to begin with wants it raised on his terms and to a date specified by him?

Reagan raised the debt ceiling 17 times, President Obama is trying to raise it for the first time. Senator Obama (as he was at the time) was wrong to vote against raising the debt ceiling.

However, nothing you said addressed what I said.

Not sure how they see the deficit getting cut.

The GOP Bill said that either the Commission finds the cuts, OR the cuts are across the board. Either way the cuts happen. The Bush Tax Cuts expire in 2013, so the revenue increase is on full-auto. What I don't get is why the loop-holes are off-limits. That will cost the GOP, when they could win seats if they palyed ball and went after the low hanging fruit.

Reagan raised the debt ceiling 17 times, President Obama is trying to raise it for the first time. Senator Obama (as he was at the time) was wrong to vote against raising the debt ceiling.

17 times in 8 years. You do the math. Why do we need to go so deeply in debt all at once? I'll tell you why. It removes the opportunity for accountability in spending.

17 times in 8 years. You do the math. Why do we need to go so deeply in debt all at once? I'll tell you why. It removes the opportunity for accountability in spending.

Mind rephrasing your question?

Also, mind actually responding to my response earlier first? You seemed to ignore how the cuts are imaginary, the Super Congress, and how the Debt Ceiling is related to obligations already incurred.

18 times in 8 years which averages out to every three months or so. Obama wants it through 2012 because the elections will be over by then.

Last edited:

Mind rephrasing your question?

Also, mind actually responding to my response earlier first? You seemed to ignore how the cuts are imaginary, the Super Congress, and how the Debt Ceiling is related to obligations already incurred.

Yes, the DC is for what has already been spent. But spending needs to be macheted NOW so in six months (or whenever) we don't need to raise the DC again.

Forum List

Back