English speaking required

We aren't becoming a bilingual culture, we are becoming two monolingual cultures.

We most certainly are not. By the 3rd generation English is the dominant language - even for use in the home - among immigrant families from Spanish-speaking countries, and native-born speakers of English in the US are learning foreign languages more often and more completely. This is exactly the opposite of your assertion.

How many Hispanics fit the above criteria?

Most Hispanic immigrants to the US.

Right, most Hispanics immigrant or citizens respect our immigration laws by not desiring amnesty for their illegal amigos. (insert rolling eyes here) Most of them will use English as their primary language of usage here in our country . (insert rolling eyes here) Well at least you didn't become insulting an use foul language for a change. How long will it last?.

"Language use among Hispanics in the U.S. reflects the trajectories that previous immigrant groups have followed. "

"In the second generation, use of Spanish falls as use of English rises. By the third generation, English use is dominant."

IV. Language Use among Latinos Pew Research Center s Hispanic Trends Project

If illegal immigration continues we will always have the problem of non-assimilation by Hispanics "on going". There are many here that have been here for years that still don't know English because they are colonizing neighborhoods and cities instead with fellow Hispanics so they don't feel the need to learn English.

Most of them will use English as their primary language of usage here in our country . ...

Yes, by the 3rd generation English is the dominant language - even for use in the home - among immigrant families from Spanish-speaking countries. I have mentioned this before. Try to pay attention.

There wasn't a Polish equivalent to Telemundo. ....

Millions of Polish immigrants came here before television existed, genius.

Polish Immigration

"The majority Polish immigrants were Roman Catholics. They tended to stick together in large groups of Polish settlers. ... For the most part the Poles clustered in tight groups in the cities. They continued with their religion, setting up huge churches that were greatly attended. The church was the center of the community where a Pole could discuss social problems, religious beliefs, etc. The Poles felt strongly about their churches. They kept the services in Polish, celebrated Polish holidays and kept Polish saints alive. The Polish culture needed to have Polish churches. Without their own churches the Poles believed they would lose their identity.

In the Polish household, the family's main purpose was to put food on the table and keep everyone clothed. Everyone in the household worked from sunrise to eight, including children and mothers. Poles without special skills were forced to work in the unsanitary and unsafe industrial factories. For the first time in history, Polish mothers were the heads of the household. These mothers were responsible for raising children, and keeping the house clean. Many mothers also supported the family by taking in boarders, and doing laundry.

Polish families did little about education, a luxury at the time, which helped account for their reputation. Very few Poles went to college, or received high paying jobs. They did the dirty work, the menial tasks in the city, but many immigrants were thrilled to be working for in Poland they had been unemployed for years. They were tremendous at saving money. Between 1900 and 1914, Polish Americans sent anaverage of 4 million dollars a year back to Poland."

Sound familiar?

My wife is from Polish ancestry and they assimilated to English by the first generation that was born here. Nothing wrong with celebrating one's native culture just as long as you are an American first. There weren't millions of Polish speaking illegal aliens back then either. Immigration was diversified back then. Not so today. Have you forgotten once again that
this is the illegal immigration forum? So why keep bringing up legal immigration?

"Language use among Hispanics in the U.S. reflects the trajectories that previous immigrant groups have followed. "

"In the second generation, use of Spanish falls as use of English rises. By the third generation, English use is dominant."

If illegal immigration continues we will always have the problem of non-assimilation by Hispanics "on going". There are many here that have been here for years that still don't know English because they are colonizing neighborhoods and cities instead with fellow Hispanics so they don't feel the need to learn English.

You didn't read any of the links, did you?

My wife is from Polish ancestry and they assimilated to English by the first generation that was born here.

The facts are exactly as outlined above, complete with link, whether that makes you comfortable or not.

My wife is from Polish ancestry and they assimilated to English by the first generation that was born here.

The facts are exactly as outlined above, complete with link, whether that makes you comfortable or not.

I'm speaking from family experience. Comfort has nothing to do with it. Again, in keeping with this forum how many Polish illegals back then compared to Hispanic ones today?

I don't go by links that may have a biased agenda. I read those same links elsewhere probably in a pro-illegal forum. Did you read mine? I rely on my eyes and ears and I know what I see and hear.

I don't go by links that may have a biased agenda. ....

In other words, when the facts are inconvenient you stick your little fingers in your little ears and start screaming.

I don't go by links that may have a biased agenda. I read those same links elsewhere probably in a pro-illegal forum. Did you read mine? I rely on my eyes and ears and I know what I see and hear.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

I don't go by links that may have a biased agenda. ....

In other words, when the facts are inconvenient you stick your little fingers in your little ears and start screaming.

And your so-called facts are more accurate then the facts I presented? I would be glad to post some more links for you to prove you wrong but shouldn't we be discussing illegal immigration in this forum instead? My remarks included illegal immigration and how that nullifies any so-call Hispanic assimilation to English. in this country. Again, how may Polish illegals were in this country back then compared to the Hispanic ones today? When are you going to start focusing on illegal immigration which is the topic of this forum?

When are you going to start focusing on illegal immigration which is the topic of this forum?

OK dopey, time for you to look at what this forum is actually called. Go ahead.

Ok, I'm man enough to own up to my mistake. It is about both legal and illegal immigration. Do you often call people who make mistakes "dopey"? I guess you must be perfect then and don't make mistakes? Are you ever going to debate without name calling?

Forum List

Back