English Made Official.........Imagine that?

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
U.S. English, Inc. Supports Introduction of H.R. 997, the English Unity Act of 2005
WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. English, Inc., the nation's oldest and largest non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the unifying role of the English language in the Unites States, today announced its support for H.R. 997, the English Language Unity Act of 2005. Introduced by Rep. Steve King (R-IA) and 57 additional members of Congress, the bill would make English the official language of the United States government.

"We congratulate Rep. King and his colleagues in Congress for their efforts on behalf of our common language,” said Mauro E. Mujica, Chairman of U.S. English, Inc. “With 322 languages spoken in our nation of immigrants, it is time to recognize the bonds that unite us as Americans. Over the last 200 years, our nation has grown, our technology has improved, and our people have been diverse, but the one constant has been the unifying factor of the English language.

more......http://www.usenglish.org/inc/news/preleases/viewRelease.asp?ID=152

Should have been done years ago! I cannot imagine the United States bowing to the language demands of a few foreigners who don't want to learn English.

Wolfe said:
Should have been done years ago! I cannot imagine the United States bowing to the language demands of a few foreigners who don't want to learn English.

It has nothing to do with foreigners. The US does not have an official language, because having an official language was considered elitist and classist by the people who started the US. The people who started the US were foreigners and felt that having an official language would make the US like the places they were leaving. The lack of an official language is a symbol of unbiasedness towards new-comers and the freedom for which America stands. The lack of official language is a part of what makes the US so unique.

The founding fathers got so many things right and there is no good reason to change this one now.

Elephant
The lack of an official language is a symbol of unbiasedness towards new-comers and the freedom for which America stands. The lack of official language is a part of what makes the US so unique.

And also what makes our country confused and impractical.
The whole point of a universal language has it's foundation in practicality so that citizens can conduct their life and business affairs with a degree of ease and competency.

Imagine the fun of trying to treat an emercgency room patient who doesn't speak any english and doctors are scrambling around to find an interpreter, while the patient may be dying???

Aprenda inglés

Bonnie said:
Imagine the fun of trying to treat an emercgency room patient who doesn't speak any english and doctors are scrambling around to find an interpreter, while the patient may be dying???

It's up to the patient to learn english isn't it? This is a touchy subject for me, ignore the rant that may follow! :blah2:

Bonnie said:
Elephant

And also what makes our country confused and impractical.
The whole point of a universal language has it's foundation in practicality so that citizens can conduct their life and business affairs with a degree of ease and competency.

Aprenda inglés

First, for the record, I am not confused. Second, what do you find so confusing?

"The whole point of a universal... blah blah blah." What? What "universal" language"? I assume you mean an official language for the US. Let me repeat myself for you - official languages have been used by governments against the citizens, so the founding fathers did not put one in the Constitution to stop these practices from happening in their, now our, country.

The entire concept of the country was considered impractical. It seems to be working just fine. Do not fix what is not broken, especially when it comes to my Constitution.

elephant said:
First, for the record, I am not confused. Second, what do you find so confusing?

"The whole point of a universal... blah blah blah." What? What "universal" language"? I assume you mean an official language for the US. Let me repeat myself for you - official languages have been used by governments against the citizens, so the founding fathers did not put one in the Constitution to stop these practices from happening in their, now our, country.

The entire concept of the country was considered impractical. It seems to be working just fine. Do not fix what is not broken, especially when it comes to my Constitution.

Fantastic job in completely botching up what I said and ignoring the actual post. Reread!

Secondly I was under the impression the Consititution belongs to all American citizens not just you.

"The most important fact of the twentieth century will prove to be that the United States speaks English instead of German". - Otto von Bismarck, at the close of the nineteenth century.

Said1 said:
It's up to the patient to learn english isn't it? This is a touchy subject for me, ignore the rant that may follow! :blah2:

That's exactly my point Said. If the majority of Americans speak English why isn't it incumbant for those who come here that don't speak English to learn at least enough to communicate in a way that doesn't require interpreters??

Bonnie said:
That's exactly my point Said. If the majority of Americans speak English why isn't it incumbant for those who come here that don't speak English to learn at least enough to communicate in a way that doesn't require interpreters??

Like I said, language issues are touchy for me. Remeber, where I'm from this isn't the case! It's your right to be treated/served in either french or english - accept in Quebec (there are english hospitals, but again it's still your right to chose french or english when speaking with hospital staff).

Said1 said:
Like I said, language issues are touchy for me. Remeber, where I'm from this isn't the case! It's your right to be treated/served in either french or english - accept in Quebec (there are english hospitals, but again it's still your right to chose french or english when speaking with hospital staff).

I do see that it's a bit different for you.

Here it just makes sense to learn the language of this country. It should be a standard set that English is learned in order to assimilate into the country. I also believe that whatever language you speak when you come here should not be diminished in any way.

Not for elitist reasons but for practical reasons there needs to be a universal language taught and spoken here.

Bonnie said:
Fantastic job in completely botching up what I said and ignoring the actual post. Reread!

Secondly I was under the impression the Consititution belongs to all American citizens not just you.

I did not 'botch' anything. Your post contained very little thought and that which it did contain was not very insightful. Attacking me after I helped you see that will not make it better. Try the 'edit' button on the bottom left of your post.

Just because the Constitution is mine does mean it cannot be yours, as well. But stick the point, PLEASE.

Here I am addressing your post directly - Is this clear enough for you!

Your silly example was suppose to make me think amending the Constitution is a good idea? Again - the negative side of having a national language far outweighs any possible benefit you can make dumb examples for. The ease of you doing business and your life are not my concern. And competence - what? A national language will make the USA more competent? It will make my neighbor more competent? What are you talking about?

So repeating myself, do not go around making rules that may later be used against you and are completely unnecessary.

Bonnie said:

Here it just makes sense to learn the language of this country. It should be a standard set that English is learned in order to assimilate into the country. I also believe that whatever language you speak when you come here should not be diminished in any way.

Not for elitist reasons but for practical reasons there needs to be a universal language taught and spoken here.

It makes sense to me too. Language tends to be used as a form of discrimination, and created more problems than the concept of bilingualism was intended to solve. IMHO.

Bonnie said:

Now that you admit I am correct - I can move on to another thread.

YOU cannot control how the law is used once it exists. It can be used for elitist reasons whether you like it or not. This is why the founding fathers excluded a national language in the Constitution and then again in the Bill of Rights.

Leave it alone - it will not benefit anyone.

Said1 said:
It makes sense to me too. Language tends to be used as a form of discrimination, and created more problems than the concept of bilingualism was intended to solve. IMHO.

It is used as a form of discrimination and having a national language institutionalizes that discrimination. Having no national language means that individuals must choose to discriminate personally against their fellow citizens instead of the government doing it for them.

elephant said:
It is used as a form of discrimination and having a national language institutionalizes that discrimination. Having no national language means that individuals must choose to discriminate personally against their fellow citizens instead of the government doing it for them.

I agree that English should not be 'codified' in law per se as an official language. What I do believe is like British historically, we should let the official institutions: government, public schools, and the like, make it in immigrants interest to learn the language.

Bilingual education should stop, there isn't any research that demonstrates that it helps new arrivals and much that finds that it supresses their success in school and assimilation. Likewise the providing of official documents in different languages should also be halted.

Have you ever tried to go to another country where none of the documentaion is in english. It is fucking hard. My first time to Central America I was detained for 12 hours because I checked the wrong box on the form. Then I had to learn Spanish in a fucking hurry to not be imprisoned. This may be a funny story now but at the time it was rather unpleasent and left a sour taste in my mouth. We are in the buisness of exporting an ideal (freedom and democracy) to that end we want people to come here and see these ideals in action. Providing official travel documentation in multiple languages is not anti american but rather pro american. We want foreigners to come here. We want to make it easy for them to do so. It is one piece in our long war against tyranny.
Cheers
Huck

Huckleburry said:
Have you ever tried to go to another country where none of the documentaion is in english. It is fucking hard. My first time to Central America I was detained for 12 hours because I checked the wrong box on the form. Then I had to learn Spanish in a fucking hurry to not be imprisoned. This may be a funny story now but at the time it was rather unpleasent and left a sour taste in my mouth. We are in the buisness of exporting an ideal (freedom and democracy) to that end we want people to come here and see these ideals in action. Providing official travel documentation in multiple languages is not anti american but rather pro american. We want foreigners to come here. We want to make it easy for them to do so. It is one piece in our long war against tyranny.
Cheers
Huck

I think the bold and enlarged sums it up. Nothing succeeds like incentive, though granted, shouldn't be imprisonment.

Huckleburry said:
Cheers
Huck

Well, I've been to another province, in the same country where nothing is in ENGLISH.

Forum List

Back