English Made Official.........Imagine that?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bonnie, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    U.S. English, Inc. Supports Introduction of H.R. 997, the English Unity Act of 2005
    WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. English, Inc., the nation's oldest and largest non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the unifying role of the English language in the Unites States, today announced its support for H.R. 997, the English Language Unity Act of 2005. Introduced by Rep. Steve King (R-IA) and 57 additional members of Congress, the bill would make English the official language of the United States government.

"We congratulate Rep. King and his colleagues in Congress for their efforts on behalf of our common language,” said Mauro E. Mujica, Chairman of U.S. English, Inc. “With 322 languages spoken in our nation of immigrants, it is time to recognize the bonds that unite us as Americans. Over the last 200 years, our nation has grown, our technology has improved, and our people have been diverse, but the one constant has been the unifying factor of the English language.

more......http://www.usenglish.org/inc/news/preleases/viewRelease.asp?ID=152

2. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Bigotted bastards!

3. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Should have been done years ago! I cannot imagine the United States bowing to the language demands of a few foreigners who don't want to learn English.

4. elephant

elephant Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It has nothing to do with foreigners. The US does not have an official language, because having an official language was considered elitist and classist by the people who started the US. The people who started the US were foreigners and felt that having an official language would make the US like the places they were leaving. The lack of an official language is a symbol of unbiasedness towards new-comers and the freedom for which America stands. The lack of official language is a part of what makes the US so unique.

The founding fathers got so many things right and there is no good reason to change this one now.

5. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Elephant
    And also what makes our country confused and impractical.
    The whole point of a universal language has it's foundation in practicality so that citizens can conduct their life and business affairs with a degree of ease and competency.

Imagine the fun of trying to treat an emercgency room patient who doesn't speak any english and doctors are scrambling around to find an interpreter, while the patient may be dying???

Aprenda inglés

6. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    It's up to the patient to learn english isn't it? This is a touchy subject for me, ignore the rant that may follow! :blah2:

7. elephant

elephant Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    First, for the record, I am not confused. Second, what do you find so confusing?

"The whole point of a universal... blah blah blah." What? What "universal" language"? I assume you mean an official language for the US. Let me repeat myself for you - official languages have been used by governments against the citizens, so the founding fathers did not put one in the Constitution to stop these practices from happening in their, now our, country.

The entire concept of the country was considered impractical. It seems to be working just fine. Do not fix what is not broken, especially when it comes to my Constitution.

8. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Fantastic job in completely botching up what I said and ignoring the actual post. Reread!

Secondly I was under the impression the Consititution belongs to all American citizens not just you.

9. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    "The most important fact of the twentieth century will prove to be that the United States speaks English instead of German". - Otto von Bismarck, at the close of the nineteenth century.

10. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    That's exactly my point Said. If the majority of Americans speak English why isn't it incumbant for those who come here that don't speak English to learn at least enough to communicate in a way that doesn't require interpreters??