End Green Energy Subsidies Now!

I love this Ignore feature on the new software.

Because being open to new ideas is hard for you? Green energy is the future. It's sustainable and will not run out (at least for another billion or so years.)

It's likely to. We definitely need something new. But which technologies are worth investing in, and which are a wasted effort?

The real question, in the political context, is "how do we decide?" Do we rely on individual judgement and let people make their own decisions on which technologies to support? Or do we take a vote, and force everyone down the same path?
all new houses that are built today must have solar pannels built on them make mandatory ... these companies that mooch off the private citizen needs to end... make the cost for housing that doesn't have solar pannels on them so easy to buy ... allowing you to right off the cost for the next ten years.... you cans say we as a nation will never have a energy problem again...

Why? You might want to look up what happens when a house with a solar panel catches fire. Most fire departments let them burn because they can't ensure the safety of their firefighters.

Unintended consequences chum. Try getting insurance for a house when that becomes the standard practice.

"The bigger issue from the firefighters' perspective is not the permitting process, Deuel said, but the solar panels themselves.
Studies have shown that solar panels expose firefighters to a risk of electric shock and that damaged modules can cause electrical fires.
Solar panels also get in the way. Building departments require a minimum amount of roof space be left around solar units for firefighter access, but sometimes that's not enough."

Solar panels a hazard for firefighters - NewsTimes

California Firefighters Concerned Over Residential Solar Panel Installations Firefighter Nation

You may be advocating fuel cells, Walleyes, but the market seems to be advocating batteries at present.

Only thanks to massive government support. Take that away, and the taxpayer money that somehow always seems to find its way into the pockets of the super rich you claim to hate. Toyota did the fuel cell thing all on its own. They couldn't find a decent hydrogen tank maker so they build their own which caused the price to plummet. Now others will be able to purchase those tanks from them and the whole market will increase thanks to that fact.

Batteries are old hat olfraud. They've been around for well over a century and are at the limits of their performance absent a paradigm level breakthrough.

You're just pissed that a private company did the work.

The problem with Fuel Cells is th infrasturcture to deliver will take decades to roll out... The making of and transporting Hydrogen looks to have serious implications. Battery technology looks good for inside a decde at the moment.
I not abandoning Fuel Cell as its need in aircraft later on is needed, I would say that Batteries looks better as we presently stand.

Batteries are at their limits now. Hydrogen can be rolled out very fast in comparative terms, and it doesn't require the wholesale rebuilding of the Grid which would be necessary if the nation were too switch over to EV's. There simply is nowhere near enough energy produced to power them. And by a fantastic amount. The shortfall is gigantic and no amount of green energy systems can supply the need. A home system requires over a month to recharge a electric car. That's a fact that kills them IMO.

You may be advocating fuel cells, Walleyes, but the market seems to be advocating batteries at present.

Only thanks to massive government support. Take that away, and the taxpayer money that somehow always seems to find its way into the pockets of the super rich you claim to hate. Toyota did the fuel cell thing all on its own. They couldn't find a decent hydrogen tank maker so they build their own which caused the price to plummet. Now others will be able to purchase those tanks from them and the whole market will increase thanks to that fact.

Batteries are old hat olfraud. They've been around for well over a century and are at the limits of their performance absent a paradigm level breakthrough.

The problem with Fuel Cells is th infrasturcture to deliver will take decades to roll out... The making of and transporting Hydrogen looks to have serious implications. Battery technology looks good for inside a decde at the moment.
I not abandoning Fuel Cell as its need in aircraft later on is needed, I would say that Batteries looks better as we presently stand.

Batteries are at their limits now. Hydrogen can be rolled out very fast in comparative terms, and it doesn't require the wholesale rebuilding of the Grid which would be necessary if the nation were too switch over to EV's. There simply is nowhere near enough energy produced to power them. And by a fantastic amount. The shortfall is gigantic and no amount of green energy systems can supply the need. A home system requires over a month to recharge a electric car. That's a fact that kills them IMO.

News Detail

The technology is currently being licensed by a company for eventual production. Prof Chen expects that the new generation of fast-charging batteries will hit the market in the next two years. It also has the potential to be a key solution in overcoming longstanding power issues related to electro-mobility.

Thats what they have done in Singapore, they take the lead...

Non-renewables, by definition, eventually run out.

Renewable energy sources are therefore the eventual source of all energy used by humans on this planet.

It's too bad we couldn't tap into RW outrage as an energy source. After all, it's the closest thing that exists to the concept of perpetual motion.
I know that bullshit is combustible. If we took all the posts from libs on this board and fed them into a generator it would keep Detroit going all winter.

Renewable energy sources are therefore the eventual source of all energy used by humans on this planet.

It's too bad we couldn't tap into RW outrage as an energy source. After all, it's the closest thing that exists to the concept of perpetual motion.
I know that bullshit is combustible. If we took all the posts from libs on this board and fed them into a generator it would keep Detroit going all winter.
Rabbi,

You keep posting with no hard evidence to back your claim... You call people who use facts as liars and don't offer anything in return.

You have a case for why Coal and Oil get subsides and it is not 'because liberals are asholes'....

But you fail to address the cost to society of Oil and Coal dependence... It is looking like around $4 trillion in the last 10 years...

Explain that!

News Detail

The technology is currently being licensed by a company for eventual production. Prof Chen expects that the new generation of fast-charging batteries will hit the market in the next two years. It also has the potential to be a key solution in overcoming longstanding power issues related to electro-mobility.

Which doesn't address the fact that batteries are technologically nearly maxed out. If you invest heavily in battery technology you're screwed for the next big advance. Fuel Cell technology is in its infancy. It enjoys one huge advantage over batteries and that is it doesn't require toxic substances to manufacture it, nor are the byproducts toxic when they wear out.

As I keep stating, batteries are cute but they're OLD technology.

News Detail

Which doesn't address the fact that batteries are technologically nearly maxed out. If you invest heavily in battery technology you're screwed for the next big advance. Fuel Cell technology is in its infancy. It enjoys one huge advantage over batteries and that is it doesn't require toxic substances to manufacture it, nor are the byproducts toxic when they wear out.

I am not against Fuel Cells, I think that they will be vital in the Medium (30 year outlook). I just think that Battery Tech in the next 5 years...

In truth we are like two lads looking at the same race backing two different horses, I don't think your horse is bad.
There is no certainty but I think if the battery makes a relatively small jump the infrastructure is there. We know how to make and distribute electricity.

Saying that if I am wrong a fuel cell is they way, I am just as happy... Saying that if I am wrong move to Iceland, endless amount of energy if harnessed and only 250k people.

News Detail

I am not against Fuel Cells, I think that they will be vital in the Medium (30 year outlook). I just think that Battery Tech in the next 5 years...

In truth we are like two lads looking at the same race backing two different horses, I don't think your horse is bad.
There is no certainty but I think if the battery makes a relatively small jump the infrastructure is there. We know how to make and distribute electricity.

Saying that if I am wrong a fuel cell is they way, I am just as happy... Saying that if I am wrong move to Iceland, endless amount of energy if harnessed and only 250k people.

Based on how fast Toyota was able to drop the price of a fuel cell hydrogen tank (95% drop in 5 years) I think you're not keeping up with the advances that are being made. And yes, we do know how to make and distribute electricity. However, conservative estimates are that at least 170-200 new power plants would need to be built to power the EV's. And that is off peak hours charging. I shudder to think how many would need to be built if it were during peak usage.

Rabbi,

You keep posting with no hard evidence to back your claim... You call people who use facts as liars and don't offer anything in return.

You have a case for why Coal and Oil get subsides and it is not 'because liberals are asholes'....

But you fail to address the cost to society of Oil and Coal dependence... It is looking like around $4 trillion in the last 10 years...

Explain that!
There is no subsidy for oil and gas. Which part of that have you missed after all these pages?

To bad we can't agree to use the new tech nuclear reactors.

Get rid of our dependence on fossil fuels while supplying a renewable source of energy. Green as can be

What am I missing?

Green energy has always been more expensive than traditional fuels. Which is why the industry wouldn't exist without extensive gov't subsidies. Those subsidies cost taxpayers real money and distort the market for energy. Wind power has been subsidized since the 1980s (maybe more)..
Especially now with oil prices plunging due to increased production (take that, you "we're running out of oil" milquetoasts) the difference between green and traditional energy is even more.
Time to pull the plug on this expensive waste of taxpayer resource.

Nuclear Power is actually green

I'd subsidize it in a heartbeat

More to the point: unlike the rest of the "green power" pixie dust and unicorn flatulence,, it WORKS!

Nuclear Power is actually green

I'd subsidize it in a heartbeat

Until there's an earthquake......then it's just radioactive.

Old technology.

France is building them as fast as they can, Germany' dumping them.

The average Frenchman now creates 5 tons of carbon, the average German double that.

It's a win/win. The right gets plentiful energy at a cheap rate, the left get energy independence that doesn't add to global warming.

What's not to love?

Fukushima.

Old technology.

Do you still use AOL on dial up?

New reactor technology does nothing to guarantee there won't be a catastrophic accident resulting from a natural disaster like an earthquake.

No, that's wrong. Offhand, new MSR's are passively safe. (Losing coolant shuts them down.)

News Detail

Based on how fast Toyota was able to drop the price of a fuel cell hydrogen tank (95% drop in 5 years) I think you're not keeping up with the advances that are being made. And yes, we do know how to make and distribute electricity. However, conservative estimates are that at least 170-200 new power plants would need to be built to power the EV's. And that is off peak hours charging. I shudder to think how many would need to be built if it were during peak usage.

westwall,

Lets look at this:
Fuel Cell
How do we produce the Hydrogen?
If we can produce Hydrogen energy easily why not burn it for electricity?

EV
And also the length needed for these need batteries hitting the market in 2.5 years will give 70% charge in 2 mins, from home.

The average annual electricity consumption for a U.S. residential utility customer was 10,837 kWh.

Average Mileage of USA: 13,476
EV use about .3 Kwh per mile(MiniE is small car).

That is 4,042 kwh per year

So we are talking about 50% increase of electricity over a ten year period. 200 new stations seems right as redundant capcity at night could be used.

Source:
"That said, let's do a little math. In Portland, Ore., where electric cars are gaining ground and the local utilityis providing charging infrastructure, electricity runs about 6 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh). The new Mini E, which is still in field trials, uses .22 kWh per mile, which translates to 22 kWh for 100 miles (160.9 kilometers) of driving. And in Portland, 22 kWh will cost $1.32."
How Much Does It Cost to Charge an Electric Car - HowStuffWorks

Batteries at their limits now? Do you ever feel stupid having to just make shit up as you go along? You should.

Sakti3 battery, 1/5 the cost, double the energy density. Google it, very interesting. And that is hardly the only new battery in the works. As usual, ol' Walleyes is full of shit. Batteries are nowhere near the limits of energy density.

Grid scale batteries are now in the works, and ONCOR, the biggest utility in Texas is planning, starting in 2018, to put in 5000 megawatts of these batteries on it's grid. By that time, solar will cost less than dirty coal, as does wind right now.

Yes, there is going to be some paradigm shifts in energy production and storage in the coming decade.

Get rid of our dependence on fossil fuels while supplying a renewable source of energy. Green as can be

What am I missing?
Cost. Nuclear is very expensive electricity.

What am I missing?
Cost. Nuclear is very expensive electricity.

Mostly due to the permitting, regulations.

Environmentalists should be less concerned with cost then greenhouse gases

I think I read that the current plant being built in Georgia (?) is being funded by a small increase in customer bills. I think that was $3.50 per month per customer

News Detail

Why do you have to lie about everything all the time? Don't your so called arguments stand on their own merits?

News Detail

You can state it all you want but you're still wrong and stupid. All kinds of new battery innovations happening right now, including manufacturing batteries using entirely non strategic metals. Why don't you know these things? Is it ignorance or dishonesty?
Stanford and SLAC Join New Battery Research Partnership Precourt Institute for Energy

Forum List

Back