Employers add 117,000 jobs in July

137K unemployed people just disappeared. Aliens abducted our unemployed to get the unemployment rate to drop from 9.2% to 9.1%

I will never understand some people's definition of "a good thing".
154,000 private jobs is lousy. Not a "good thing".
Just because something is terrible but not REALLY terrible doesn't equal a positive...it just means the economy is stagnant at best...which...wait for it...is not a good thing.

Especially for July. ADP announced that planned lay-offs late July are at a 16 month high, since we are starting with a crappy 154,000...that means August looks to be a real problem.

Get over it...things still suck. And will continue too for several, several years.

Considering that it's 100,000 more jobs than last month and more jobs than the last three months combined, it is good economic news

Not as good as that president we are not allowed to mention who was losing 700,000 jobs a month but a good reversal of the trend

Just because something is terrible but not REALLY terrible doesn't equal a positive...it just means the economy is stagnant at best...which...wait for it...is not a good thing.

Especially for July. ADP announced that planned lay-offs late July are at a 16 month high, since we are starting with a crappy 154,000...that means August looks to be a real problem.

Get over it...things still suck. And will continue too for several, several years.

Considering that it's 100,000 more jobs than last month and more jobs than the last three months combined, it is good economic news

Not as good as that president we are not allowed to mention who was losing 700,000 jobs a month but a good reversal of the trend

Unemployment During President George W. Bush’s Two Terms
With the news out today that the monthly unemployment rate had “fallen” to 9.7 percent, I decided to look back at the monthly figures for President George W. Bush’s two terms at the White House. The numbers are revealing. The highest monthly average prior to the late 2008 financial crisis was 6.3 percent. His overall monthly average was 5.3 percent.
Here’s the chart (click to enlarge):
scottstanzel.com » Blog Archive » Unemployment During President George W. Bush’s Two Terms

With the news out today that the monthly unemployment rate had “fallen” to 9.7 percent, I decided to look back at the monthly figures for President George W. Bush’s two terms at the White House. The numbers are revealing. The highest monthly average prior to the late 2008 financial crisis was 6.3 percent. His overall monthly average was 5.3 percent.
scottstanzel.com » Blog Archive » Unemployment During President George W. Bush’s Two Terms

Key words "prior to the late 2008 financial crisis"

Kind of like how conservatives say "he kept us safe for the last seven years"

wow, that is some spin. but expected.

Everything is timing with the conservatives

They only want us to look at the economy in Bushs first seven years
But only look at protecting against terrorist attacks in the last seven years

Exactly, and when you add to that, that the report also says 193000 People quit looking for work, and we are at a Historically low % of Americans in the work force. You are left with something that can only be called bad news. Unless of course you are a liberal, then you have to find a way to try and call it good news.

At 154000 Jobs a month it will only take about a decade to bring the 13 Million jobs we have lost back. Yeah this is WONDERFUL.

By the way, I am one of those people who are now employed, but for about 1/2 Income I am used to. I am counted as employed yet I can't pay my bills on the money I am making. lol. God I love this Economy.

You probably should stop posting and go get another job.

On a thread I saw yesterday, someone was trouncing the "lazy slobs" in the unemployment line.

Just sayin.
You Probably should stop making assumptions. I continue to look for a better job daily. You arrogant asshole.

yep, and liberals want us to ignore the last 3 Years and pretend it is all Bushes Fault. :cuckoo:

Nope.

We are realists. We recall that the democrats took a majority in 2006....and things started to go south after that.

We are realists...it was impossible to do anything about 9-11....but once it happened, our government had good reason to inconvenience the people and make them deal with intense security.

Gee...Imagine if our government...say in 2000.....told the people..."you never know when we may get hit with terrorism, so from here on in we will force all ariline passengers to strip and have security fondle their private parts"

Sure...that would have gone over well.

Yep...conservatives are realists.

Progressives are dreamers with visions.

Nope.

We are realists. We recall that the democrats took a majority in 2006....and things started to go south after that.

We are realists...it was impossible to do anything about 9-11....but once it happened, our government had good reason to inconvenience the people and make them deal with intense security.

Gee...Imagine if our government...say in 2000.....told the people..."you never know when we may get hit with terrorism, so from here on in we will force all ariline passengers to strip and have security fondle their private parts"

You are a straight guy Jarhead...let me ask a simple question and give me an honest answer

If attacks the magnitude of 9-11 had happened in Obamas first year, would the right wing have given him a free pass?

Employers add 117,000 jobs in July, unemployment rate drops - USATODAY.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hiring picked up slightly in July and the unemployment rate dipped to 9.1%, an optimistic sign after the worst day on Wall Street in nearly three years.

Employers added 117,000 jobs last month, the Labor Department said Friday. That's better than the past two months, which were also revised higher.

The mild improvement may ease investors' concerns after the Dow Jones industrial average plummeted more than 500 points over concerns that the U.S. may be entering another recession.

Businesses added 154,000 jobs across many industries. Governments cut 37,000 jobs last month. Still, 23,000 of those losses were almost entirely because of the shutdown of Minnesota's state government.

Just wait until the budget cuts go into affect. Once our gov't starts cutting a few hundred billion dollars of spending from the budget, it's going to cause a pretty good uptick in the number of people who will by filing unemployment claims for the first time.

Do you think conservatives will admit that the budget cuts they pushed for during an economic downturn was the reason why unemployment went up? You don't have to answer that. It was a rhetorical question.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hiring picked up slightly in July and the unemployment rate dipped to 9.1%, an optimistic sign after the worst day on Wall Street in nearly three years.

Employers added 117,000 jobs last month, the Labor Department said Friday. That's better than the past two months, which were also revised higher.

The mild improvement may ease investors' concerns after the Dow Jones industrial average plummeted more than 500 points over concerns that the U.S. may be entering another recession.

Businesses added 154,000 jobs across many industries. Governments cut 37,000 jobs last month. Still, 23,000 of those losses were almost entirely because of the shutdown of Minnesota's state government.

mkay.

Just wait until the budget cuts go into affect. Once our gov't starts cutting a few hundred billion dollars of spending from the budget, it's going to cause a pretty good uptick in the number of people who will by filing unemployment claims for the first time.

Do you think conservatives will admit that the budget cuts they pushed for during an economic downturn was the reason why unemployment went up? You don't have to answer that. It was a rhetorical question.

A trillion in budget cuts will have a big impact on jobs. Of course Repubs don't care, it is part of the Obama must fail strategy

Nope.

You are a straight guy Jarhead...let me ask a simple question and give me an honest answer

If attacks the magnitude of 9-11 had happened in Obamas first year, would the right wing have given him a free pass?

RW...

If Obama farts after eating beans, the right doesnt give him a free pass.....just as if Bush burped after chugging a bear the left wouldnt give him a free pass.

Does that answer your question?

Nope.

RW...

If Obama farts after eating beans, the right doesnt give him a free pass.....just as if Bush burped after chugging a bear the left wouldnt give him a free pass.

Does that answer your question?

Maybe that's because he is such a people person... What comes around goes around.

Kind of like you say "Obama saved the US from a Depression... on accident"?

A trillion in budget cuts will have a big impact on jobs. Of course Repubs don't care, it is part of the Obama must fail strategy

And your strategy is blame everything on the minority in the Republicans House... Even when you have the Senate/House and White house you still blame the minority who had no power at all.

Who held the debt ceiling hostage RW? Come on, you know you wana say it... Go ahead say it.... Here is a hint of what you don't say. You never Say it was the Senate that voted down bills, you never say it was Obama who threatened to not pass bills... You never say it was the Senate that voted 100% no on Obama’s budget... No, you say it is all the Minority in the house, the _ _ _ (space) _ _ _ __'s fault.

Forest, meet the Trees. Looking at the jobs numbers and getting excited is akin to saving a photo album while your house burns down.

The problem is DEBT. We have too much, the entire world has too much. The US has run annual budget deficits for about 80 years straight with few exceptions. Usually it is not a problem- the key is to keep the annual deficits below the rate of GDP growth. If you do, then deficits are manageable. You have more growth in the economy than increase in debt and the ratio of debt/GDP remains the same or gets lower.

Where it gets dicey is in times like now- we have very little or negative GDP growth and the cyclical deficit increase (that is the deficit spending made during times of economic downturns) is overwhelming. TARP, QE, Stimulus, etc..

In 2 short years we've gone from roughly 60% debt/GDP to 100%! The only way out of the mess is through government austerity - but that will send us into a recession* (see below) and the politicians do not have the long term perspective required to make those decisions. They want to be re-elected! They don't care about the country beyond the next election cycle.

We have tough choices to make about taxes, entitlements, and the overall role of government. 2012 will be all about those decisions.

* GDP = C + I + G + Net exports
C= Consumption (consumer and business) I=investment G= Government spending.
If we freeze spending at current levels we will have 8% less spending next year. The government spends 25% of GDP currently so 8% less spending will reduce GDP by at least 2%. With GDP growth at less than 2% now- this will mean a recession.

they need to re-work the tax code, lean/flatten it out.....they won't. we're *ucked.

I love how these idiots massage the UE numbers.

There were 139,296,000 people working in July, compared to 139,334,000 the month before, or a drop of 38,000. That's not job creation, unless you are a government bureaucrat with bad math skills

So how do these morons have the nerve to report that unemployment dropped? It's Government Magic!!!!

Using a magic wand, and a trusty eraser- they simply stop counting “discouraged workers,” or those who were unemployed but not out looking for work. That number increased from 982,000 to 1.119 million, a difference of 137,000 or a 14 percent increase!!

So the drop in the unemployment rate is pure bunk—stick all those people back in the workforce and you wipe out the job creation and the drop in unemployment in less than a second.

Government math. :eusa_liar::eusa_liar:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back