Employee: Borders Is Making Us Push Gift Cards That May Be Worthless

I don't think I'll ever purchase a book reader. I enjoy the real thing too much.

*shrug*. But it's also unlikely I'll ever purchase one simply because of the price tag.

At the rate I buy and read books, I don't enjoy *storing* them so much.

I DO still sit in B&N Starbucks and flip through cookbooks, tho. :D

See, I'll go back and reread books over and over again. I love storing them. And then finally when they've run their course (after about a dozen or so reads) I take them to my used book store for credits to purchase more books.

I don't think I'll ever purchase a book reader. I enjoy the real thing too much.

*shrug*. But it's also unlikely I'll ever purchase one simply because of the price tag.

See, I'll go back and reread books over and over again. I love storing them. And then finally when they've run their course (after about a dozen or so reads) I take them to my used book store for credits to purchase more books.

I've done that, too. However, there's a point at which it just isn't worth it anymore.. A) My used bookstore is now probably 30 miles away. B) They don't have anything I haven't read that I'm interested in reading. B) When your husband reads as much as you do, but different stuff, your book load doubles.

I laughed at the book readers when they first came out.. Then decided it might not be so bad.. The Nook sucked rocks - returned that, and researched the Kindle and Sony.. Settled on the Sony, and now wouldn't trade it for the world. For novels that don't have pics anyway, it's SO worth it.

I've done that, too. However, there's a point at which it just isn't worth it anymore.. A) My used bookstore is now probably 30 miles away. B) They don't have anything I haven't read that I'm interested in reading. B) When your husband reads as much as you do, but different stuff, your book load doubles.

I laughed at the book readers when they first came out.. Then decided it might not be so bad.. The Nook sucked rocks - returned that, and researched the Kindle and Sony.. Settled on the Sony, and now wouldn't trade it for the world. For novels that don't have pics anyway, it's SO worth it.

Ahhh, see, my used bookstore is about 2 miles from my house. Convenience.

Employee: Borders Is Making Us Push Gift Cards That May Be Worthless If Company Declares Bankruptcy - The Consumerist

Employee: Borders Is Making Us Push Gift Cards That May Be Worthless If Company Declares Bankruptcy
I am a Borders Books employee. I have been employed as a bookseller for 3.5 years. I am extremely concerned by the recent behavior of our corporate officers. The past few years haven't been pleasant for Borders employees. We have lived with constant threats from upper management, pressure to sell various nicknacks, and of course, the infamous "make book" fiasco from 2009. (We were forced to sell specific books to each customer and many, many lost their jobs over this.)
Now, with bankruptcy (possibly) looming, we are being told to focus solely on our new Borders Rewards Plus program. Again, we are living with threats of losing our jobs, having our hours cut,etc.,etc. if we do not sell these memberships. Most of us are not comfortable selling these cards because we are unsure if Borders will be around in 6 months. Management has not said one word to any employee about our financial situation. Whatever the motivation for pushing these cards on customers, it seems unethical.
What do you think USMB? Is it unethical for Borders to be having employees sell gift cards to people that would be worthless the minute they declare Chapter 11 Bankruptcy (which is very likely at the moment)?

I don't want to assume, but I wonder whether when people get gift cards from Borders, they are informed that if the company declares bankruptcy that they are worthless. I could always try it myself since I shop there from time to time. Though these days if I buy any books, it's online.

WHAT THE FUCK???

I have Borders Cards! Looks like I'm buying some books tonight!

Employee: Borders Is Making Us Push Gift Cards That May Be Worthless If Company Declares Bankruptcy - The Consumerist

Employee: Borders Is Making Us Push Gift Cards That May Be Worthless If Company Declares Bankruptcy

I am a Borders Books employee. I have been employed as a bookseller for 3.5 years. I am extremely concerned by the recent behavior of our corporate officers. The past few years haven't been pleasant for Borders employees. We have lived with constant threats from upper management, pressure to sell various nicknacks, and of course, the infamous "make book" fiasco from 2009. (We were forced to sell specific books to each customer and many, many lost their jobs over this.)

Now, with bankruptcy (possibly) looming, we are being told to focus solely on our new Borders Rewards Plus program. Again, we are living with threats of losing our jobs, having our hours cut,etc.,etc. if we do not sell these memberships. Most of us are not comfortable selling these cards because we are unsure if Borders will be around in 6 months. Management has not said one word to any employee about our financial situation. Whatever the motivation for pushing these cards on customers, it seems unethical.

What do you think USMB? Is it unethical for Borders to be having employees sell gift cards to people that would be worthless the minute they declare Chapter 11 Bankruptcy (which is very likely at the moment)?

I don't want to assume, but I wonder whether when people get gift cards from Borders, they are informed that if the company declares bankruptcy that they are worthless. I could always try it myself since I shop there from time to time. Though these days if I buy any books, it's online.

Its along the lines of dont blame the messenger.

I feel that employees need to do the jobs they are being paid to do. The employees don't know for sure what is going to happen, so not selling the gift cards because of what they "think" may happen is wrong.

The employees are stupid. If Borders goes under, those holding gift cards would be first in line to receive their money back. Gift cards are not recorded as sales on a company's books, but as a liability. These types of liabilities receive first dibs when a company becomes insolvent.

So what Doggie The Bubble Mod is wondering is if Borders Employees should create a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure by not selling Borders Gift Cards to customers.

If Borders does go BK, the likely creditors to be harmed are suppliers. In order to successfully reorganize the company, it would be inane to screw gift card holders by refusing to redeem their cards. The OP assumes that Borders will just close shop and go out of business. If there are no customers, that likelihood increases. If there is some semblance of a viable, ongoing business, then someone may purchase it.

Borders is bankrupt now. They stopped payments to publishers. Gift cards are a small part of their business.

I was in Borders the other day. It made me sad. I used to love going to the bookstore and hanging around. But the Internet has killed the business model. Its like reading a newspaper or a magazine. They're going away.

Forum List

Back