Embryonic Stem Cells Hold Possible Cure For Diabetes

Here's the floor, Jillian. Please enlighten us on the "benefits of that [ESC] research" that are not being accomplished NOW with adult stem cell research.

There are no benefits, except political ones from causing confusion about the issue and claiming Bush want's sick people to die. Really childish, IMO, but more of the same from the Democrats.

The fact is that ESC was illegal under Clinton, Bush made it legal, but agrees with the scientists that's its a bad gamble for research money. Private labs appear to agree with this, since few have taken the gamble themselves.

I linked the NIH website and a medical publication on the subject. I can see where you might think that's inconsistent with science... if you're looking for science in Leviticus. :lame2:

As usual, you have to deflect with one of you BS accusations. The facts are, there are inherent deformaties associated with ESR that in twenty years they have no been able to overcome, that do not exist in ASR.

It doesn't require the Bible to show you for what you are. You are willing to dehumanize human life, create it to be destroyed for experimentation that may or may not lead to something but has led to ZIP so far. If you can call it something other than what it is ... human life .... then you justify to yourself doing whatever you please with it.

The differences between you and Josef Mengele aren't that great.

This would be 'good news'. Links at site:

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/008871.php

January 07, 2007
A New Source For Stem Cells?

The controversy over stem cells has now thrown its shadow over three national elections. While adult and umbilical stem cells have contributed to actual therapies, embryonic stem cells have not -- and yet their flexibility has presented a tantalizing subject for medical researchers for several years. The leadership of the Democratic Congress is widely expected to propose federal funding for human embryonic stem-cell (hEsc) research, setting up a showdown with the Bush administration.

Now, however, researchers at Harvard have found stem cells with the same flexibility as hEsc, but without the need to damage embryos in any way:

Scientists say they have discovered a new source of stem cells that could one day repair damaged human organs. The Harvard University team say they have recovered functioning stem cells from amniotic fluid - the liquid that surrounds the baby in the womb. ...

The Harvard scientists say the stem cells they found in amniotic fluid seem to have many of the qualities of embryonic stem cells. The scientists, from Wake Forest University School of Medicine, were writing in the journal Nature Biotechnology.

They say they have managed to turn the stem cells into functioning muscle, fat, blood vessel, nerve and liver cells. In tests, these newly made cells seemed to restore some function in brain-damaged mice.​

This could solve the entire political standoff over the research methods involved in retrieving hEsc for study. Five months ago, another research group discovered a method of extracting a single cell from an embryo without killing it. Now it turns out that stem cells can be isolated in amniotic fluid, and could therefore be isolated without any injury or even contact with an embryo or fetus.

If Harvard has this correct, it should end the controversy. Researchers wanting federal funding for their hEsc research would simply use this source rather than the embryos themselves. The Harvard study has already produced results, and others could use their work as a springboard for even more promising developments.

It won't be worth anything in this discussion, but I think I will inject my opinion (again from another post) about embryonic stem cells. First off, I believe that there is a God and that His Son died for my sins. My wife has diabetes so bad that she is bed ridden about 99% of the time or in the hospital. She has done some suffering in the last few years. Also, in my opinion, embryonic stem cells is no more or no less better than a fingernail clipping. It's just another cell in ones body. It's not a human being. It can't breath, it can't talk, it can't play, it can't laugh, it's just another cell. If a stem cell is born, then I will want someone to do everything in their power to keep it alive. I also don't know what scientists does or does not know about embryonic stem cell research. There is a lot of Government research money being given out that I don't agree with and wish all of it would be from other entities and none from the Government, but if the Government is going to give any out, embryonic stem cell research should be right up there with the rest of the research.

It won't be worth anything in this discussion, but I think I will inject my opinion (again from another post) about embryonic stem cells. First off, I believe that there is a God and that His Son died for my sins. My wife has diabetes so bad that she is bed ridden about 99% of the time or in the hospital. She has done some suffering in the last few years. Also, in my opinion, embryonic stem cells is no more or no less better than a fingernail clipping. It's just another cell in ones body. It's not a human being. It can't breath, it can't talk, it can't play, it can't laugh, it's just another cell. If a stem cell is born, then I will want someone to do everything in their power to keep it alive. I also don't know what scientists does or does not know about embryonic stem cell research. There is a lot of Government research money being given out that I don't agree with and wish all of it would be from other entities and none from the Government, but if the Government is going to give any out, embryonic stem cell research should be right up there with the rest of the research.

If you believe in God then you should also recognize that He has detailed a road map for man to follow to find the Truth, and therefore killing human embryos is not the path to knowledge.

If you believe in God then you should also recognize that He has detailed a road map for man to follow to find the Truth, and therefore killing human embryos is not the path to knowledge.

Please don't think I am trying to be a smart alek here, because I'm not. I just haven't seen anything that convinces me that an embryos is a human being yet.

i have a question for those that support stem cell reserach for curing diseases

do you support cloning of humans...simple yes or no?

do you eat organic beef....simple yes or no?

do you eat genetically engineer produce....simple yes or no?

do you drink organic milk.....simple yes or no?

Please don't think I am trying to be a smart alek here, because I'm not. I just haven't seen anything that convinces me that an embryos is a human being yet.
Your opinion is different than mine and several million others.

Now that new research has shown that amniotic fluid can be used to harvest embryonic stem cells after the baby is born and healthy, the Democrats still want to force us millions of concerned to pay to have embryos killed.

That’s the real issue here and now.

Now that new research has shown that amniotic fluid can be used to harvest embryonic stem cells after the baby is born and healthy, the Democrats still want to force us millions of concerned to pay to have embryos killed.

curious......where do you think these embryos that they are killing come from ?

and

if they were not to kill them what would happen to them?

i have a question for those that support stem cell reserach for curing diseases

do you support cloning of humans...simple yes or no?

do you eat organic beef....simple yes or no?

do you eat genetically engineer produce....simple yes or no?

do you drink organic milk.....simple yes or no?

Yes to the first 3 questions, never heard of the 4th one.

I don't want to pay to have anything killed. What I, and millions of other people are saying, is that embryonic stem cells is no different than any other cells in ones body. When you remove ones appendix you, are killing those cells, but I don't hear of any outrage about that.

I don't want to pay to have anything killed. What I, and millions of other people are saying, is that embryonic stem cells is no different than any other cells in ones body. When you remove ones appendix you, are killing those cells, but I don't hear of any outrage about that.
A human appendix is not a human being.

Forum List

Back