Testosterone Tumbling in American Males

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Stephanie, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    :shocked1:

35 minutes ago
    FRIDAY, Oct. 27 (HealthDay News) -- The testosterone-fueled American male may be losing his punch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Over the past two decades, levels of the sex hormone in U.S. men have been falling steadily, a new study finds.

For example, average total testosterone levels in men aged 65 to 69 fell from 503 nanograms/decileter (ng/dL) in 1988 to 423 ng/dL in 2003.

The reasons for this trend are unclear, said researchers at the New England Research Institutes in Waterdown, Mass. They noted that neither aging nor certain other health factors, such as smoking or obesity, can fully explain the decline.

"Male serum testosterone levels appear to vary by generation, even after age is taken into account," study lead author Thomas G. Travison said in a prepared statement.

Testosterone is the primary male sex hormone and plays an important role in maintaining bone and muscle mass. Low testosterone levels have been linked to health problems, including lowered libido and diabetes.

It's normal for men's testosterone levels to peak in their late 20s and then start to gradually decline, experts say. But this study found that overall testosterone levels are lower than they were 20 years ago.

"In 1988, men who were 50 years and older had higher serum testosterone concentrations than did comparable 50-year-old men in 1996. This suggests that some factor other than age may be contributing to the observed declines in testosterone over time," Travison said.

He and his colleagues analyzed blood samples -- along with health and other information -- from about 1,500 men in the greater Boston area who took part in the Massachusetts Male Aging Study. That study collected data in 1987-89, 1995-97, and 2002-04.

"This analysis deals with men who were born between 1915 and 1945, but our baseline data were not obtained until the late 1980s, when the elder subjects were about 70 years old, and the youngest about 45," Travison said.

"Events occurring in earlier decades could certainly help explain our results, if their effects persisted into recent years," he noted.

The findings were published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20061027/hl_hsn/testosteronetumblinginamericanmales

2. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,740

Or its only happening to the men in Boston :funnyface

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Wha? How can the cause be unclear? The cause is the pussification of American Male Children.

"Don't WRESTLE!! You might get HURT!!!"

"Don't have WINNERS or LOSERS!! It might HURT somebodys FEWLINGS!!!"

"Don't Pee standing UP!! You might..uh...well...I got nothin', but I bet it's BAD!!"

:(

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. CockySOB

CockySOB VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Ever read Kim du Toit's essay "The Pussification of the Western Male?"

It's sad really, to watch the male of the human species devolve into worms and toads.... Thank God there are a few of us "men" left.....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I haven't!! Thank you! I can't read it from work; but will check it at home; unless you wanna quote it here.

6. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    AWESOME essay!

7. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Absolutely. This goes beyond what you note. Males are taught in school --- really, conditioned --- to be wimps. Don't fight. Don't talk back. If you're aggressive, you have a mental problem. You have "ADD." And so on. The system loves males without balls, because they just clock in and out and don't make trouble.

I would also note that it's perfectly OK for blacks and Hispanics to be macho, but if you're white and macho, you're a laughingstock to the media and a potential dangerous psycho.

8. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Well, I got mine before time ran out, the rest of you guys are just pusses!:funnyface

9. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,740
    Yup, Liberalization = Pussification.

10. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I think its happening mostly in blue areas.;)