Elvis Presley agrees with Anachronism: hyphens are bullshit!! We are all americans!!

No one could tell the nationality of those four guys if they didn't know in advance who the white guy was but everyone can tell what race they belong to.

If I keep my mouth shut and hide my accent you'd never know where I came from but you can tell I'm not an anglo from 10 miles away.

My own personal experience in the US leads me to think it's a losing battle to try to emphasise national tribalism and disencourage an even more visceral one like racial tribalism.

José;3908598 said:
No one could tell the nationality of those four guys if they didn't know in advance who the white guy was but everyone can tell what race they belong to.

If I keep my mouth shut and hide my accent you'd never know where I came from but you can tell I'm not an anglo from 10 miles away.

My own personal experience in the US leads me to think it's a losing battle to try to emphasise national tribalism and disencourage an even more visceral one like racial tribalism.

thereis no tribalism in a country made of immigrants.

José;3908598 said:

thereis no tribalism in a country made of immigrants.

Yes there is - the democrat party owes its continued existence to the tribalism they've carefully cultivated among blacks and hispanics.

José;3908598 said:

It goes both ways. I can go to Miami and stop at any store and no one will attempt to speak to me in Spanish simply because they can tell by looking at me that I am not a Latina.

José;3908598 said:

It goes both ways. I can go to Miami and stop at any store and no one will attempt to speak to me in Spanish simply because they can tell by looking at me that I am not a Latina.

Come to southern california, and go into a Target or Walmart - if you need help and you can't understand their spanish, they'll shrug and walk away.

José;3908598 said:

Come to southern california, and go into a Target or Walmart - if you need help and you can't understand their spanish, they'll shrug and walk away.

How sad that the point of my post sailed over your head.

How sad that the point of my post sailed over your head.

Likewise.

Forum List

Back