Electoral College Reform?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
“Agreement Among the States to Elect the President by National Popular Vote”

Article I–Membership

Any State of the United States and the District of Columbia may become a member of this agreement by enacting this agreement.

Article II–Right of the People in Member States to Vote for President and Vice President

Each member state shall conduct a statewide popular election for President and Vice President of the United States.

I read the article twice and it still doesn't make sense to me. Read it @ National Popular Vote -- Electoral college reform by direct election of the President and give me your thoughts on it.

“Agreement Among the States to Elect the President by National Popular Vote”

Article I–Membership

Any State of the United States and the District of Columbia may become a member of this agreement by enacting this agreement.

Article II–Right of the People in Member States to Vote for President and Vice President

Each member state shall conduct a statewide popular election for President and Vice President of the United States.

I read the article twice and it still doesn't make sense to me. Read it @ National Popular Vote -- Electoral college reform by direct election of the President and give me your thoughts on it.

The interstate compact has been around for awhile. It only becomes effective when states with a majority of the electoral votes (270) have ratified it. It binds the electors of those states to vote for the presidential ticket that wins the largest popular vote NATIONALLY. The argument for it is that this puts every state in play, not just a few "battleground" states by making a vote in each state of equal value. If Mississippi goes Republican by 70%, the marginal Republican or Democratic vote is just as important as the marginal vote in Vermont or Illinois.

Forum List

Back