Elderly woman dies because nurse refused to give CPR

I would have risked losing my job just to give that gal another day of life.

I just want to celebrate...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLwkT5vAzCE]Rare Earth - I Just Want To Celebrate 1971 + Lyrics. - YouTube[/ame]

The only thing I can think of right now and I may be wrong.
The facility is protecting themselves against a lawsuit.
But I believe no jury will find against someone trying to administer a life saving procedure.
I think it's called the good Samaritan law.

But I'm sure there are a few John Edwards or Gloria Alred types that would sue and force the facility and the employee to spend thousands of dollars in attorney fees.

There is. My mother worked for him when he was alive.:(

The 911 dispatcher was going to give instructions. She even asked if someone on the street could be brought in since company policy forbid employees from giving CPR. This has every indication of forcing a change in the law forbidding these kinds of contracts. The facility is specifically directed to the elderly. The company is on notice that residents are subject to health event. Unlike an apartment building where management is responsible only for property maintenance an assisted living facility is more like a group home.

The 911 dispatcher was going to give instructions. She even asked if someone on the street could be brought in since company policy forbid employees from giving CPR. This has every indication of forcing a change in the law forbidding these kinds of contracts. The facility is specifically directed to the elderly. The company is on notice that residents are subject to health event. Unlike an apartment building where management is responsible only for property maintenance an assisted living facility is more like a group home.

Since it happened in the dining room, where are the people going to come from off the street?

It wasn't an assisted Living Facility!
It was Independent Living.
I posted the definitions for both.
Neither are required by California State law to have nursing on staff.

Company policy is put in place because it is not a medical facility!

The company isn't on notice for sh!t!

Last edited:
Okay - question. This elderly lady would have been admitted to this hospice place or whatever by her daughter, who would have signed a few papers, like a contract perhaps.

Was there anything in the papers that stated that if the woman had an accident, or fell ill, they would not perform CPR?
It would seem silly and cruel not to mention this policy to a relative who believed their loved one would be cared for...

Just assuming that these places actually do have these kinds of forms to fill out.

Noomi, she was living in an Independent Living...like an apartment building for older people.
It is not a medical facility.

Do you have to fill out forms before you can stay there? If so, something must have been in those forms about this - if there wasn't, the daughter should sue their pants off.

Probably, but it has nothing to do with medical.

Will Your Mom?s Retirement Community Give Her CPR? ? AARP

According to Joseph Rodrigues, California’s long-term care ombudsmen, “there’s no regulatory requirement for them [Glenwood Gardens] to provide CPR because they are not licensed to offer skilled or medical services to their residents.

A just-breaking statement released by the California Assisted Living Association (CALA) said, “Currently in California, regulations do not address CPR training or administration in independent living communities. While CALA’s membership is comprised of Assisted Living communities, not independent living communities, this incident is prompting providers to review their practices assuring appropriate emergency response procedures are in place.”

The 911 operator commanded her to do CPR or find someone that could. To those who say George Zimmerman should have followed the command of 911, is this woman guilty of a crime too?

There is a difference between following someone who you deem suspicious and someone who is elderly dying and needed CPR. You are comparing apples and oranges.

There is a difference from trying to prevent a confrontation/assault/death by violence and telling someone to attempt to save someone who is dying.

There is not a difference!

You are not legally obligated to do as a 911 operator says.

Police are not even legally obligated to protect you. You can call 911 & they or the police could go take a nap while you are raped & you can't sue them.

That is pure idiotic. If you call 911 for an emergency, emergency personnel are obligated to respond because if there is a result in death due to negligence, the city/police department is liable

Did anyone in this thread forget to read the following?

The executive director of Glenwood Gardens, Jeffrey Toomer, defended the nurse, saying she did indeed follow policy.

"In the event of a health emergency at this independent living community our practice is to immediately call emergency medical personnel for assistance and to wait with the individual needing attention until such personnel arrives," Toomer said in a written statement. "That is the protocol we followed."

Woman in independent living facility dies after nurse refuses to do CPR; director says protocol followed | cleveland.com

Did anyone in this thread forget to read the following?

The executive director of Glenwood Gardens, Jeffrey Toomer, defended the nurse, saying she did indeed follow policy.

"In the event of a health emergency at this independent living community our practice is to immediately call emergency medical personnel for assistance and to wait with the individual needing attention until such personnel arrives," Toomer said in a written statement. "That is the protocol we followed."

Woman in independent living facility dies after nurse refuses to do CPR; director says protocol followed | cleveland.com

Very few if any...most just want to squabble.

There is no question what the policy was or that the nurse correctly followed the policy. The policy is being reviewed and will no doubt be changed. Although the nurse did have an opportunity to find someone not covered by the policy and let them give the woman CPR. I can see why the police are opening a criminal investigation.

I've never heard of a nursing home having that type of policy. Really bizarre.
Neither have I. But having observed the gradual decline of American society over the past half-century I'm not at all surprised by such items of evidence of what Dr. Erich Fromm identified as rising alienation in his 1950s classic, Man For Himself.

This incident is best described as a textbook example of the kind of bureaucratic indifference which inevitably will occur in places like the contemporary "low rent" nursing home environment -- which I regard as one step above being in prison.

Personally, I would much rather die than spend my last days in one of those places. I think it is outrageous that we are prohibited by law from exercising the choice of voluntary euthanasia.

I visited someone in a nursing home once and I've avoided repeating that extremely depressing experience. When I become too old to care for myself in the most basic ways, in accord with the intent of Nature it is time for me to die -- not be warehoused and maintained in the most undignified ways by people who basically, and understandably, despise me.

If this were a sane society there would be an available option for an IV heroin drip with a happy ending. 24 hours of ecstasy and, adios.

There is no question what the policy was or that the nurse correctly followed the policy. The policy is being reviewed and will no doubt be changed. Although the nurse did have an opportunity to find someone not covered by the policy and let them give the woman CPR. I can see why the police are opening a criminal investigation.

How do we know anyone was available? This is pure speculation

I just realized it is owned by the corporation I used to work for. I want to know if she lived in the retirement part or the assisted living.
When I worked for them I worked at one of their memory care facilities and we for sure could give CPR. Things are different for retirement home, with different rules.
At the one I work at now I am guessing they would just have to call CPR. There isn't even a nurse for the retirement village, with the assisted living being completely separate.

So no one really should make any judgements until the fActs are in.

Forum List

Back