Elderly woman dies because nurse refused to give CPR

and depending on her condition too. if you are suffering and in pain and it's finally over, do you really want to be brought back?

For me, no. If I am suffering with no hope of regaining a decent quality of life, I'd rather not have extraordinary measures taken to prolong my life.

my neighbor had terminal cancer. my wife found him unconcious in bed after we didn't hear from him for a day. she called the ambulence and they picked him up, revived him. he had a DNR but emergency services wasn't aware of it. he lived 3 more days on lots of pain killers and barely awake. whne its time to go it's time to go.

We just stopped the car today. 10 elk to my right. We spun the car around to flag the trucker to slow down on the highway and to try to even catch the pics. In the end it was 10 led by a huge male.

Oh the rush. oh the rush.

I want that memory. I don't want some well meaning soul reviving me so I can tell my diaper changer to put on Pantera.

I'd rather die.

Then the nurse had no choice.

Oh Luissa can you imagine what these poor nurses face? When I found out my mom's DNR I thought surely I was like to die.

I can't imagine what they go thru. I understand the 911 operators distress, but I cannot imagine the pain of the worker going "no I can't" It must be the worst on the planet.

I do, I am not a nurse but we are it at my work. We have one nurse at my work, us med techs are the ones who would be doing CPR or calling 911. I had to call 911 just last night.
My friend had to do CPR on a lady on our memory care side a year ago. No clue why she wasn't no code. She said she could hear her ribs breaking. Plus the lady didn't survive. They figured she had died instantly.

We face challenges we never do before. My heart breaks for those on the front lines. I've got no answers but I feel for them.

For me, no. If I am suffering with no hope of regaining a decent quality of life, I'd rather not have extraordinary measures taken to prolong my life.

my neighbor had terminal cancer. my wife found him unconcious in bed after we didn't hear from him for a day. she called the ambulence and they picked him up, revived him. he had a DNR but emergency services wasn't aware of it. he lived 3 more days on lots of pain killers and barely awake. whne its time to go it's time to go.

We just stopped the car today. 10 elk to my right. We spun the car around to flag the trucker to slow down on the highway and to try to even catch the pics. In the end it was 10 led by a huge male.

I want that memory. I don't want some well meaning soul reviving me so I can tell my diaper changer to put on Pantera.

I'd rather die.

we tend to think about keeping people alive from our perspective, that of good health. but if you've ever spent time with the sick and the elderly, you see they look at it much differently. they look at it from the quality of life perspective. no one wants to die, but they don't want to live a poor quality of life either

and depending on her condition too. if you are suffering and in pain and it's finally over, do you really want to be brought back?

The old lady wasn't suffering and she wasn't in pain. This was an assisted living facility, not a hospice. While there are facilities that provide palliative care, this facility wasn't one of them.

Glenwood Gardens released a statement confirming its policy prohibiting employees from performing CPR.

yea, but this is what this facilities policy is.

The policy could well violate the duty of care laws that govern assisted living facilities. This facility is part of a complex that provides levels of care from assisted living to skilled nursing and then hospice. We know immediately that this woman wasn't in hospice care because she wasn't under that level of care. We know immediately that it never mattered that there was a DNR. For one thing the paramedics were called. They are not called when there is a DNR. The nurse was relying on company policy. If the policy is illegal there will be penalties. If the nurse violated nursing standards she will lose her license no matter what the company policy is.

The old lady wasn't suffering and she wasn't in pain. This was an assisted living facility, not a hospice. While there are facilities that provide palliative care, this facility wasn't one of them.

Glenwood Gardens released a statement confirming its policy prohibiting employees from performing CPR.

The policy could well violate the duty of care laws that govern assisted living facilities. This facility is part of a complex that provides levels of care from assisted living to skilled nursing and then hospice. We know immediately that this woman wasn't in hospice care because she wasn't under that level of care. We know immediately that it never mattered that there was a DNR. For one thing the paramedics were called. They are not called when there is a DNR. The nurse was relying on company policy. If the policy is illegal there will be penalties. If the nurse violated nursing standards she will lose her license no matter what the company policy is.

yea, i think if it violated any laws the issue would have come up long ago. you have a whole lot of ifs going on there. bottom line, the nurse followed policy.

I'd rather die.

we tend to think about keeping people alive from our perspective, that of good health. but if you've ever spent time with the sick and the elderly, you see they look at it much differently. they look at it from the quality of life perspective. no one wants to die, but they don't want to live a poor quality of life either

In this case we don't have someone sick and elderly. We have a sprightly 87 year old who went to the dining room intending to have dinner. What caused her death will have to wait for autopsy. She was otherwise not dying.

I'd rather die.

In this case we don't have someone sick and elderly. We have a sprightly 87 year old who went to the dining room intending to have dinner. What caused her death will have to wait for autopsy. She was otherwise not dying.

And how do you know this?

I'd rather die.

and it really won't matter because she was in a facility that has a policy that does not allow their staff to perform CPR.

That is what the reports have said. She collapsed in the dining room.

My son's mother in law went into assisted living two months ago. She has trouble getting in and out of the shower and sometimes forgets to turn off the stove. She is not sick and in no danger of dying. At 88 she runs all over the place, especially since she got a new knee. They better review the policy of that place to make sure the same harebrained policy isn't in place.

Not everyone in assisted living or independent living is sick or bedridden. Sometimes it just isn't safe to live alone. Especially in complexes like this where the sick are transferred from assisted living to skilled nursing care so easily.

This is California. There is no doubt a web of regulations governing these kinds of facilities. The lawyers for the family will no doubt sort it all out after the autopsy.

That is what the reports have said. She collapsed in the dining room.

My son's mother in law went into assisted living two months ago. She has trouble getting in and out of the shower and sometimes forgets to turn off the stove. She is not sick and in no danger of dying. At 88 she runs all over the place, especially since she got a new knee. They better review the policy of that place to make sure the same harebrained policy isn't in place.

Not everyone in assisted living or independent living is sick or bedridden. Sometimes it just isn't safe to live alone. Especially in complexes like this where the sick are transferred from assisted living to skilled nursing care so easily.

This is California. There is no doubt a web of regulations governing these kinds of facilities. The lawyers for the family will no doubt sort it all out after the autopsy.

You don't know what type of condition she was. They also just said on the news her daughter was satisfied with her care.
This won't go very far if she was a no code.

One daughter was satisfied with her care. The other children not so much. In making this even worse the report I just saw said that the 87 year old woman had not stopped breathing. She was breathing but needed help. The nurse just watched as the woman eventually stopped breathing.

As it turns out there wasn't even a DNR they could hang on to.

This is looking more and more like the same kind of thing that closed the Martin Luther King Hospital.

Glenwood Gardens, in Bakersfield does NOT have SNFs or hospice.

One daughter was satisfied with her care. The other children not so much. In making this even worse the report I just saw said that the 87 year old woman had not stopped breathing. She was breathing but needed help. The nurse just watched as the woman eventually stopped breathing.

As it turns out there wasn't even a DNR they could hang on to.

This is looking more and more like the same kind of thing that closed the Martin Luther King Hospital.

If they weren't satisfied with her care they shouldn't have let her live there. I promised my parents that I will never put them in any kind of old folks home or nursing home. They are horrible places. All of them.

The woman signed an agreement agreeing that life-saving efforts would not be performed (rather like a do not resuscitate order). As awful as this 911 incident may look, it's what she agreed to.

I still don't understand a place having a policy that says no one can give aid. I mean, then why do they even have a nurse on site?

Because it is NOT a medical facility.
It is Independent Living.
I could rent a house with six bedrooms and throw up a shingle claiming it was an assisted living.*

In California there is no requirement to have nursing staff in either types of facilities.

The 'nurse' thing bothers me.
If it were a 'nurse' who called 911, she would have performed CPR in a heartbeat.
The only one who would find fault with the 'nurse' breaking the rules would be the owners.
The 'nurse' could find another job in a hot minute.

Last edited:
Okay - question. This elderly lady would have been admitted to this hospice place or whatever by her daughter, who would have signed a few papers, like a contract perhaps.

Was there anything in the papers that stated that if the woman had an accident, or fell ill, they would not perform CPR?
It would seem silly and cruel not to mention this policy to a relative who believed their loved one would be cared for...

Just assuming that these places actually do have these kinds of forms to fill out.

They say they do in the same complex and more had Bayless been in either one she would have gotten CPR.

Okay - question. This elderly lady would have been admitted to this hospice place or whatever by her daughter, who would have signed a few papers, like a contract perhaps.

Was there anything in the papers that stated that if the woman had an accident, or fell ill, they would not perform CPR?
It would seem silly and cruel not to mention this policy to a relative who believed their loved one would be cared for...

Just assuming that these places actually do have these kinds of forms to fill out.

Noomi, she was living in an Independent Living...like an apartment building for older people.
It is not a medical facility.

They say they do in the same complex and more had Bayless been in either one she would have gotten CPR.

Check this link:
Glenwood Gardens | California Senior Living | Assisted Living

Then click on the links. It will bring you to a search on the left side of the page and in the drop down box, choose California.
If you click on Skilled Nursing or Alzheimer care it brings you to this:
Find a Community | Brookdale Senior Living
(Nothing found)

Assisted Living brings you here:
Assisted Living Facilities | Assisted Living Communities | Brookdale Senior Living

Independent Living brings you here:
Independent Living | Senior Living | Retirement Communities

Neither of the above is a medical facility.

THIS is a medical facility:
Skilled Nursing Centers | Nursing Homes | Long Term Care Facilities

Noomi, she was living in an Independent Living...like an apartment building for older people.
It is not a medical facility.

Do you have to fill out forms before you can stay there? If so, something must have been in those forms about this - if there wasn't, the daughter should sue their pants off.

Forum List

Back