Einstein was bad in school and bad at school

Maybe- since he's dead we'll never know for sure- what we do know is; one size does not fit all and Einsteins "success" illustrates it. The author also raises the question of just what success is as have I many times- the one size fits all in our system of education from kindergarten though college pushes hard a soft tyranny of obedience and compliance, which stifles creativity which helps the Individual see beyond the societal definition of success = in many's eyes a black sheep of the family who truly goes after what he wants vs what society says he should have to be happy. That to many is unacceptable.

If I may ...

Michael Faraday may be a better example of the point you seem to being trying to get across ... he was apprenticed to a bookbinder when he was 14-years-old and taught himself how to read ... and read the material he was helping to bind ... this was at the very beginning of our exploration of current electricity and the material fascinated young Michael ... and he built and played with the equipment and experiments he was reading about as a simple bookbinder's apprentice ... long story short ... Michael Faraday was eventually brought in as a fellow in the Royal Society not for his scientific academia, he receive no formal education ... but rather as the foremost experimenter of his day ...

Without this indoctrination into Newtonian physics ... he was completely free to allow the results of one experiment dictate the procedures for his next experiment ... and frequently outside what would have been considered "main stream" science ... specifically applying the quality of "force" in strange and unusual ways, and it is Faraday who coined the term "field of force" ...

Unfortunately, Michael Faraday did not have the formal training to be able to describe his "new" physics ... thus it was left to James Maxwell, and his comprehensive education at Edinburgh, to publish the formal paper that today we know as Field Theory and it's application to electromagnetism ... and we generally credit Maxwell for this discovery, although Maxwell himself gave all credit to Michael Faraday ...

Some should be free to be creative ... and others should be disciplined and rigid ... both can work together for a better result ...

I once worked with a guy who had met Einstein. The guy was working for RCA at the time and had to install some electronic equipment in Einstein’s lab in Princeton.

I asked what it was like to talk to one of the most intelligent men of all time. He said, I couldn’t stand to be in the same room as the man......he STUNK

most nerds have that problem

Einstein did quite well in school
The author disagrees- I suspect he's fairly well educated- so, are you and what credentials do you use? The author is a teacher. You? And no, I don't put a lot of stock in stock education- but, I've not seen anything from you to exhibit a lot except something comical- class clown stuff- which is one of the things the author used to illustrate his point- so, what are you going to use to illustrate your point?

Argument from Authority. In other words, arguing with titles instead of facts and logic.

There are students that are bad in school, and there are students that are BAD in school.

If "bad" means that he didn't pay attention or even disagreed with his teachers, that is one thing.

But in 2020 America, when we talk about "bad" students in big-city schools, we are referring to "students" who beat up their teachers and other students, and vandalize the schools. All the while being on drugs while they plan their next street crime.

I am pretty sure that Professor Einstein was never that kind of "bad."

But in 2020 America, when we talk about "bad" students in big-city schools, we are referring to "students" who beat up their teachers and other students, and vandalize the schools. All the while being on drugs while they plan their next street crime.
And demand compliance to the one size fits all system while complaining that system doesn't do a good job- SMH

Perfect grades in all the physical sciences? Sure...typical for a person very capable in the sciences, I guess.
Perfect? How so? He had good grades, better than some, but not all in everything- very capable didn't stem from a structured environment either- it came from a naturally inquisitive mind allowed to test its boundaries-
We do know he had an unusually large ocipital lobe in his bain.The ability to act out and go against the flow and common wisdom is what allows the artist or the scientist to come up with some thing new. One must break old conceptions to figure out some thing new. So yes there is some truth to your hypothisis

There are students that are bad in school, and there are students that are BAD in school.

If "bad" means that he didn't pay attention or even disagreed with his teachers, that is one thing.

I am pretty sure that Professor Einstein was never that kind of "bad."
Einstein was an exceptional student.
In terms of class behavior, things were different back then

The Case for the Rebel

Disruptive students may not be the easiest to have in class, but perhaps defiance should be encouraged.

The Case for the Rebel - The Atlantic - Pocket

Well someone gets it. One size does not fit all.
Einstein was not defiant, he just didn’t do well.

He did extremely well. He was a prodigy in math and science from an early age. He got a few low grades in some Humanities courses, which did not interest him. Einstein was a greatest physicist, not a great painter, poet, or musician.

The Case for the Rebel

Disruptive students may not be the easiest to have in class, but perhaps defiance should be encouraged.

The Case for the Rebel - The Atlantic - Pocket

Well someone gets it. One size does not fit all.

Out of one side of your mouths my fellow conservatives say "those disruptive kids are great"

Out of the other side they say "paddle them"

Your so-called "philosophy" is a whole mess

Years ago there were people that believed Einstein had some "Rain Man" attributes.

then there's the whole>>>>
main-qimg-3c90be91a1af3c0e628eab2aa258ccef

~S~

so is yours....

did-you-take-your-ritalin-today-kids-yes-to-drugs-7839025.png

~S~

Who said this is "my philosophy"?

oh?
then we can assume you'll be posting all those incidences where you've actively stepped in to 'spare the spoiled child the the pharmaceutical rod ' then Sue????

~S~

Sweetheart it's not my business what parents and doctors put their child on. You know we are BY LAW not allowed to breathe a word of "pharmaceuticals" right?

so is yours....

did-you-take-your-ritalin-today-kids-yes-to-drugs-7839025.png

~S~

Who said this is "my philosophy"?

oh?
then we can assume you'll be posting all those incidences where you've actively stepped in to 'spare the spoiled child the the pharmaceutical rod ' then Sue????

~S~

Sweetheart it's not my business what parents and doctors put their child on. You know we are BY LAW not allowed to breathe a word of "pharmaceuticals" right?

So you're proposing those 'problem students' go from your class into the clutches of the mental health's canned program(s) via notification from what Sue?

~S~

Forum List

Back