Eight Facts About Social Security

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
Personally, I would like to see SS be turned into a real pension fund that invests in stocks, bonds, real estate, etc., as well as the government giving me the option to invest my savings on my own if I so choose. But until that happens ...

1) Over the next 75 years, Social Security’s shortfall is equal to about 0.7 percent of GDP. Source (PDF).

2) For the average 65-year-old retiring in 2010, Social Security replaced about 40 percent of working-age earnings. That “replacement rate” is scheduled to fall to 31 percent in the coming decades. Source.

3) Social Security’s replacement rate puts it 26th among 30 Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development nations for workers with average earnings. Source.

4) Without Social Security, 45 percent of seniors would be under the poverty line. With Social Security, 10 percent of seniors are under the poverty line. Source.

5) People can start receiving Social Security benefits at age 62. But the longer they wait, up until age 70, the larger their checks. Waiting to 66 means checks that are 33 percent larger. Waiting to 70 means checks that are 76 percent larger. But most people start claiming benefits at 62, and 95 percent start by 66. Source.

6) Raising the retirement age by one year amounts to roughly a 6.66 percent cut in benefits. Source.

7) In 1935, a white male at age 60 could expect to live to 75. Today, a white male at age 60 can expect to live to 80. Source.

8) In 1972, a 60-year-old male worker in the bottom half of the income distribution had a life expectancy of 78 years. Today, it’s around 80 years. Male workers in the top half of the income distribution, by contrast, have gone from 79 years to 85 years. Source.

Eight facts and three thoughts about Social Security - Ezra Klein - The Washington Post

Klein mentions the fact that people are living longer (#7) but then shoots down the idea that the returement age should be raised. The truth is we can't afford to pay SS for 20-30 years per individual. While I'd agree we should raise the ceiling for SS taxes, he seems to be saying the ceiling should be unlimited. Typical response from a democrat, make the rich pay for it. Do these guys understand the story of the goose that lays the golden eggs? When are they going to understand the top 1% simply cannot foot the bill for the rest of us? The ceiling should be raised, and tied to an index of wages and prices, but not unlimited. That kind of tax increase, which hits people making over $106,800, would be devastatring to our economy.

We are already paying out more money in SS than we take in, and it's going to worsen as more and more boomers retire. That lockbox we have for SS that has 2.5 trillion in it? That is all US Treasuries, IOW IOUs. When SSA cashes those things in to make payments that means the US Treasury has to borrow more money. Pols blow it off saying it's okay for now, but that's total BS. The truth is they ain't got the courage to face the issue.

9) SS makes Bernie Madoff look like Mother Theresa.

I find this highly amusing:

4) Without Social Security, 45 percent of seniors would be under the poverty line. With Social Security, 10 percent of seniors are under the poverty line. Source.

The government forces people to pay into a huge Ponzi scheme in the hopes that they'll get back a tiny return on their "investment" (taken at gunpoint) after a few decades instead of allowing them to keep their own money and save it for themselves. Then the government comes up with some bogus statistic that says without Social Security, nearly half of all seniors would be under the poverty line. Nice.

It's like most government programs: they make the problem worse and then act like an arsonist who claims he is there to help put out the fire (he started).

The government forces people to pay into a huge Ponzi scheme in the hopes that they'll get back a tiny return on their "investment" (taken at gunpoint) after a few decades instead of allowing them to keep their own money and save it for themselves. Then the government comes up with some bogus statistic that says without Social Security, nearly half of all seniors would be under the poverty line. Nice.

The point of the article is that it isn't a ponzi scheme. It's not how I would design a pension plan but it isn't insolvent either.

People generally undersave. I spent some time as a stockbroker. I was shocked at how little many people had. I had many meetings with couples who were in their 50s who had maybe $50k, and many had less.

As for the poverty line, whether or not it is an accurate reflection of poverty, clearly seniors rely heavily on it. That's why it is the third rail of politics. Given that people undersave, seniors would be poorer without SS.

Last edited:

The point of the article is that it isn't a ponzi scheme. It's not how I would design a pension plan but it isn't insolvent either.

People generally undersave. I spent some time as a stockbroker. I was shocked at how little many people had. I had many meetings with couples who were in their 50s who had maybe $50k, and many had less.

As for the poverty line, whether or not it is an accurate reflection of poverty, clearly seniors rely heavily on it. That's why it is the third rail of politics.

Of course people undersave when their paycheck is pilfered by the government. And if people knew they didn't have a safety net like SS, they could use that extra money to save.

You'd better believe Seniors rely heavily on SS because they've spent a lifetime putting money into it.

I'm not anti-SS, but it is a Ponzi scheme and should be radically changed. The 'opt-out' option should've have been put in from the get-go.

SS was based on the idea that 2 people got married, had 4 kids and saved a little. Once the kids got older they would be able to help mom and dad in thier senior years.

Now we have 2 people, maybe getting married, maybe not, haveing 2 kids, saving nothing cuz they had to keep up with the Jonses, and the kids can't pitch in b/c somebody learned there's a ton of money to be made off the government and insurance companies.

ideas from the 195o's [?] need to be revamped. But if the GOP does it, they want to kill granny.

Chile has a private SS system that appears to be the best in the world!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/3597485-post1.html
All the hoopla about Brazil being the leader of Latin America leaves out the fact that its a poor country, with a small middle class, high poverty and unemployment rates, with substantial debt and it is still very much a 3rd world country.

Chile by far is the most successful pound for pound country in Latin America. It is an emerging first world country. This country should be the model for America to follow when tackling our Social Security Crisis. And YES its a crisis. We are putting in 12% of our income and that money is drying up. The problem needs to be addressed before it sucks in the entire US economy. So what is the answer? Follow Chile, as 31 other countries have done. They have privatize the social security system and its created 10 fold greater returns and evaporated the Chilean debt crisis, which was similar to our crisis. Not to mention it created countless jobs.

Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Keeping with the current social security system is the definition of insanity. Everyone sees the coming storm, but won't do anything to prevent it!

Private Social Security System Turns 30 - Investors.com
May 1 marks the 30 years since Chile became the first nation to privatize its social security system. By turning workers into investors, the move solved an entitlement crisis much like the one America faces today.

"I like symbols, so I chose May Day as the birth date of Chile's 'ownership society' that allowed every worker to become a small capitalist," wrote Jose Pinera, former secretary of labor and social security and the architect of this pension revolution. He is now a senior fellow at the Cato Institute in Washington, D.C.

What he designed has succeeded beyond all expectations

Instead of paying a 12.4% Social Security tax as we do here, Chilean workers must pay in 10% of their wages (they can send up to 20%) to one of several conservatively managed and regulated pension funds. From the accumulated savings, they get a life annuity or make programmed withdrawals (inheriting any funds left over).

Over the last three decades these accounts have averaged annual returns of 9.23% above inflation. By contrast, U.S. Social Security pays a 1% to 2% (theoretical) return, and even less for new workers.

Long-Term Boom

History shows that pension funds prudently invested in a diversified portfolio appreciate significantly over long periods of consistent saving. In 1981, the Dow industrials stood at 900; today, despite three market crashes, it's nearly 13,000.

In 2005, New York Times reporter John Tierney worked out his own Social Security contributions on the Chilean model and found that his privatized pension would have been $53,000 a year plus a one-time payout of $223,000. The same contributions paid into Social Security would have paid him $18,000.

The system is doable here, but does require citizen education and political resolve.

First, implicit debts must be made explicit, which most politicians abhor.

Chile decided to compensate workers for money already paid into the system, through "recognition bonds." It financed this via bonds, partial diversions of existing pension taxes, sales of state assets and spending cuts.

Its road was made even easier as economic growth from a system that encourages work, saving and responsibility filled government coffers with new streams of tax revenue.

Politicians for decades have raided excess workers' contributions intended to cover baby boomer retirees. They left IOUs, giving the program the right to other government revenue. But that means the Treasury has to issue even more debt.

Those political raids can't happen in Chile — private accounts are legal property, a right Pinera embedded firmly into the 1980 constitution.

As for Social Security, even the IOUs are projected to run out in 2037. If nothing is done, payouts will have to be slashed 22%.

Private accounts could generate better returns to help offset likely benefit cuts.

Thirty countries have adopted a Chilean-style system

Social Security can be fixed. Medicare & Prescription Drugs are the 800-lb Gorilla in the room that will smash this country flat out.

Last edited:
It is the best in the world! Milton Friedman helped make it that way.

Chile has a private SS system that appears to be the best in the world!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/3597485-post1.html
All the hoopla about Brazil being the leader of Latin America leaves out the fact that its a poor country, with a small middle class, high poverty and unemployment rates, with substantial debt and it is still very much a 3rd world country.

Chile by far is the most successful pound for pound country in Latin America. It is an emerging first world country. This country should be the model for America to follow when tackling our Social Security Crisis. And YES its a crisis. We are putting in 12% of our income and that money is drying up. The problem needs to be addressed before it sucks in the entire US economy. So what is the answer? Follow Chile, as 31 other countries have done. They have privatize the social security system and its created 10 fold greater returns and evaporated the Chilean debt crisis, which was similar to our crisis. Not to mention it created countless jobs.

Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Keeping with the current social security system is the definition of insanity. Everyone sees the coming storm, but won't do anything to prevent it!

Private Social Security System Turns 30 - Investors.com
May 1 marks the 30 years since Chile became the first nation to privatize its social security system. By turning workers into investors, the move solved an entitlement crisis much like the one America faces today.

"I like symbols, so I chose May Day as the birth date of Chile's 'ownership society' that allowed every worker to become a small capitalist," wrote Jose Pinera, former secretary of labor and social security and the architect of this pension revolution. He is now a senior fellow at the Cato Institute in Washington, D.C.

What he designed has succeeded beyond all expectations

Instead of paying a 12.4% Social Security tax as we do here, Chilean workers must pay in 10% of their wages (they can send up to 20%) to one of several conservatively managed and regulated pension funds. From the accumulated savings, they get a life annuity or make programmed withdrawals (inheriting any funds left over).

Over the last three decades these accounts have averaged annual returns of 9.23% above inflation. By contrast, U.S. Social Security pays a 1% to 2% (theoretical) return, and even less for new workers.

Long-Term Boom

History shows that pension funds prudently invested in a diversified portfolio appreciate significantly over long periods of consistent saving. In 1981, the Dow industrials stood at 900; today, despite three market crashes, it's nearly 13,000.

In 2005, New York Times reporter John Tierney worked out his own Social Security contributions on the Chilean model and found that his privatized pension would have been $53,000 a year plus a one-time payout of $223,000. The same contributions paid into Social Security would have paid him $18,000.

The system is doable here, but does require citizen education and political resolve.

First, implicit debts must be made explicit, which most politicians abhor.

Chile decided to compensate workers for money already paid into the system, through "recognition bonds." It financed this via bonds, partial diversions of existing pension taxes, sales of state assets and spending cuts.

Its road was made even easier as economic growth from a system that encourages work, saving and responsibility filled government coffers with new streams of tax revenue.

Politicians for decades have raided excess workers' contributions intended to cover baby boomer retirees. They left IOUs, giving the program the right to other government revenue. But that means the Treasury has to issue even more debt.

Those political raids can't happen in Chile — private accounts are legal property, a right Pinera embedded firmly into the 1980 constitution.

As for Social Security, even the IOUs are projected to run out in 2037. If nothing is done, payouts will have to be slashed 22%.

Private accounts could generate better returns to help offset likely benefit cuts.

Thirty countries have adopted a Chilean-style system

Personally, I would like to see SS be turned into a real pension fund that invests in stocks, bonds, real estate, etc.
Would what I put in be insured against loss so I have a guaranteed income when I reach retirement age or would I be up a river if the stick market tanked?

Last edited:

As for the poverty line, whether or not it is an accurate reflection of poverty, clearly seniors rely heavily on it. That's why it is the third rail of politics.

Of course people undersave when their paycheck is pilfered by the government. And if people knew they didn't have a safety net like SS, they could use that extra money to save.

You'd better believe Seniors rely heavily on SS because they've spent a lifetime putting money into it.

I'm not anti-SS, but it is a Ponzi scheme and should be radically changed. The 'opt-out' option should've have been put in from the get-go.

People have always undersaved. That's why SS came into being in the first place. People consistently underestimate how much money they need in retirement. It doesn't matter how much in taxes are taken. When people get an income tax cut, there is not a disproportionate increase in savings as one would expect if you believe that people save less because of government taxation. In fact the empirical evidence is that people save more when they are forced to.

I do agree however that it should be easier to opt out.

Personally, I would like to see SS be turned into a real pension fund that invests in stocks, bonds, real estate, etc.
Would what I put in be insured against loss so I have a guaranteed income when I reach retirement age or would I be up a river if the stick market tanked?

There's no requirement that you invest your savings in the stock market.

Right now, all you are "guaranteed" is that the government will take money away from young workers and give it to you - which isn't really a guarantee as the SCOTUS has ruled that Congress can change SS benefits whenever it wants.

6) Raising the retirement age by one year amounts to roughly a 6.66 percent cut in benefits

:eek:

Crafty-Devil-by-DH666.jpg

A private 401K or IRA:

1. When conservatively invested, even in a bear market will generally earn anywhere from 10% to 30% per year which more than offsets the mandatory withdrawals.

2. Whatever is in your account Is your money to keep even if the government does away with those programs.

3. Your spouse or children or whomever you designate will inherit any funds in your account when you pass on, or you can give it away at your discretion.

4. Whatever you draw from the account is subject to income tax, but you pay no income tax on it until you withdraw it.

Social Security:

1. Is never invested and exists only as IOUs in the treasury. You might get a COLA (cost of living increase) in your benefits, but there has been no COLA for the past two years even though the taxes on other benefits (Medicare et al) have gone up each year. There is no realistic way to increase your benefits.

2. When you die, the government will keep any monies you paid into the system but had not yet received in benefits. In other words the money is not yours and in fact the government could take every dime you've paid in simply by abolishing the program. And you would have no recourse.

3. When you die, your social security death benefit is $255 paid to your spouse if he or she is living; paid to nobody if he or she isn't. And that's it. Any unused monies you paid into the system will not go to your spouse or kids or anybody else. You cannot will those monies to anybody else.

4. You pay income tax on the money that is also taxed for FICA. Once you start drawing SS, if you receive $30k from other investments or as earned income, a portion of your social security benefits will be taxed up to a maximum of 80%. Never mind that you already paid income taxes on that money as you earned it and as the government took it. You'll pay it again.

So looking at it that way, which is the better plan. You investing your own money? Or let the government have it on the hope that you'll ever see it again?

Last edited:
" 1. When conservatively invested, even in a bear market will generally earn anywhere from 10% to 30% per year which more than offsets the mandatory withdrawals. "

10 - 30%!!!! Conservatively invested!!! Like to know where I can get that kind of return for conservative investments. Maybe back in the day when the stock market went up from 800 or so in 1980 to 12,800 today. I wouldn't count on that happening again, for a real long time anyway.

Forum List

Back